SEPT. 9, 1988
TO: HECTOR MIRON
FROM: DAVID SCOTT
SUBJECT: FIRE SAFETY SURVEY REPORT S-20-040 (AUG. 24, 1988)
Building 10, Cerveau Property
1. An FCO request will be made to correct this violation.
2. a. Inclosure of this stair would violate the historic
integrity of the structure.
2. b. Modification of this stair to meet minimum dimensions would
violate the historical integrity of the structure. The current
riser height is 1/4 inch over the maximum allowed, while the
usable width is 33 inches, 3 inches under the minimum allowed.
2. c. An FCO request will be made to correct this violation.
Building 11, Government House
3. a. An FCO request will be made to install a second exit in the
3. b. Corrected 8-26-88
4. An FCO request will be made to correct this violation.
5. Work order written, exit sign replaced with self illuminating
UL approved model.
6. Work order written, violation corrected by Sept. 24, 1988.
7. Corrected 9/9/88
8. Fire extinguisher replaced
9. a. Notify Flagler that they are to remove their stuff. Work
order written for us to remove ours.
b. Notify Flagler, tenant area of responsibility.
c. Notify Flagler, tenant area of responsibility.
d. Notify Flagler, tenant area of responsibility.
e. Notify Flagler, tenant area of responsibility.
10. Inform Flagler of the Fire Marshall's concerns.
11. Notify Flagler, tenant area of responsibility.
12. a. Problem addressed with the construction of a fire wall
between the auditorium and lobby under state FCO DOS 8449-A.
b. An FCO request for funds to correct the violation will be
c. Fire rated doors are called for in the fire wall construction
and the East Wing remodel, DOS 8449-A, and will be in place by
13. Problem corrected 8/30/88, work order #88.0111
14. Inform Flagler, tenant responsibility.
15. An FCO request for funding will be made from the legislature.
Building 14 Blacksmith
16. Problem corrected 8/26/88, work order 88.0107
Building 28 Candle Shop (Sims)
17. Problem corrected 8/26/88, work order 88.0107
Building 29 De Mesa Sanchez
18. Problem corrected by Sept. 24, 1988, work order 88.0104
De Mesa cont.
19. Problem corrected 8/26/88, work order 88.0109
20. Historically appropriate locking device required for this
door. The agency has been unable to find such a locking device
that will meet the requirements of the inspector.
Building 32 Haas House
21. a. The doors will be checked to assure that the are self-
closing. The enclosed space under the stairs was sealed with
screws and not intended as a usable space. Non combustible
equipment was sealed within the unusable space.
b. The combustibles temporarily stored in the hallway will be
22. a. A FCO request for funds will provide the house with an
approved fire alarm system and smoke detector system.
b. See above.
c. The same FCO request will address the issue of providing the
structure with walls and doors that are smoke resistant and doors
with self-closing mechanisms.
We were cited for a total of 33 violations.
They are being
handled six different ways:
# OF CITING
1. Problem corrected by FCO DOS 8449-A 2
2. Historic integrity of building. 3
3. FCO funds will be requested 9
4. Problem corrected already 5
5. Problem corrected by Sept. 24, 1988 7
6. Problem to be corrected by tenant 7
Last year we were cited for 47 violations and so we did decrease
our violations considerably. Furthermore 24 buildings were not
cited at all.