Group Title: Historic St. Augustine: Llambias Block 39A
Title: Altrusa Club Assumes Custody of The Historic Llambias House
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00094868/00017
 Material Information
Title: Altrusa Club Assumes Custody of The Historic Llambias House
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: Llambias Block 39A
Physical Description: Clipping/photocopy
Language: English
Creator: Carline, Anne
Publication Date: 1967
Physical Location:
Box: 7
Divider: Block 39A
Folder: Llambias B39A
 Subjects
Subject: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
31 Saint Francis Street (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Llambias House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Fernandez-Llambias House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine -- 31 Saint Francis Street
Coordinates: 29.887768 x -81.310887
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00094868
Volume ID: VID00017
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: B39A

Full Text




Ic-~
n" *1


q,,,,,,, Mnrnfnto. 1rlruarv 26. 1967


SUNDA


Altrusa Club Assumes Custody


Of The Historic Llambias House


By ANNE CARLING
Staff Writer
Ore of St. Augustine's most
interesting old houses and an
outstanding example of restora-
tion, the Llambias House, will
soon assume a new identity as
official headquarters for the Al-
trusa Club of Sc. Augustine.
The Altrusa Club, in an agree-
ment with the City of St. Augus-
tine and the St. Augustine His-
torical Society, will serve as
custodian for the structure.
Agreement fori Altrusa sponsor-
ship was reached with the sign-
ing of a five year, renewable
leare.
The Fernandez Llambias
House, as is properly called, is
located on St. Francis Street. It
is one of a small number of
dwellings whose origin dates to
the first Spanish period of this
city.
Historical data reveals that
during the British period of St.
Augustine (1763) Pedro Fernan-
dez owned the coquina house on
the Llambias ,site. Indications
are, the Historical Society says,
that it was a typical one-story
Spanish colonial structure, in-
creased to twu story by British
owners.
'Liambias ownership came 100
years later when Catalina
Llambias purchased the struc-
ture, from Peter' and Joseph
Manucy. Priorto that time, it
had been .owned by a number of
persons, the last several being
of Menorcan'descent.
The structure remained in the
Llambias family for some 65
years. A 'descendent of the
Llambias family; Mrs. Francis
T. Piet, the former Antonica
Maria Reyes, was born in the
house and resided there for
many years. She now lives on
Old Moultrie Road.
In 1919, the house was sold to
a;Harry Campbell, who, in turn
sold it to the Newbill family.
then, in 1938 the'Carneige In-
stitation of 1Washington pur-
chlased it and immediately
deeded it in trust to the City of
St. Augustine.
Restoration work was accom-
plished in 1954 by the St. Augus-
tine Restoration and Preserva-
tion Association in cooperation
witn ,tfe Histcrical Society. The
restoration group was a fore-
runner of the present Restora-
tion Commission. Restoration
architect for the task was
Stuart Barnette.
The house was completed,
furnished and opened to the
public January 1955. By agree-
ment with the Carneige Institu-
tion, the City and the Historical
Society, the Society assumed all
responsibility for maintenance
and interpretation of the house
and grounds.
One of the projects which was
Snot completed with the restora-
tion work of the middle 1950's
was the reconstruction of a
kitchen. The Altrusa Club has
announced plans to begin work
very soon on a kitchen to be re-
constructed in the rear of the
building. Plans have b e e n
drawn up by Miss Lea Wells,
architect and Altrusa member,
and they have been approved
by Albert Manucy 'member of
the Historical Society and an
historian" with the National
Pai< Service.
The exterior of the kitchen
will be in keeping with the res-
toration theme qf the Llambias
house, Altrusans point out, but
the interior will house a mod-
ern kitchen facility and rest-
rooms. What the members en-
vision for the Llambias House
is a quaint gathering place for
not only their club functions,.
but for private dinners and oth-
er social functions.
SThe club hopes to finance this
project by catering to private
social gatherings of all types.
In addition to the kitchen re-
construction, Altrusans plan to
create a colorful patio garden.
The idea for Altrusa sponsor-
ship of the Llambias House is
credited to Miss Ruth Small, Al-
trusan and resident manager of
the Oldest House. Realizing the
Historical Society wished to
have'the structure utilized, she
spoke with J. Carver Harris,
Society business manager, and
W. I. Drysdale, property chair-
man. Both were very receptive
to the idea.
The Society has a reputation
of encouraging activity within
its restored buildings. They
wish to retuin the structures to
public use, so, after proper res-
toration, the dwellings can
again become part of the living
city.
Consequently, Harris .talked
to the Llambias House Board of
Trustees, a group appointed by
the Society. Current members
are Frank D. Upchurch Sr.,
chairman; J. T. Van Campen,
W. W. Wilson, X. L. Pellicer,
Norton Baskin and Mrs. Char-
les Walker.


Bad Credit No Problm Not a Loan Co.
* Send your name and address *
S for FREE application to :
* nearest office for faster service 9
* Atlantic Associates, Dept. I,
146 Westminster St., Providence. R. I.
3312 N. Central Ave., Phoenix, Arizona


-(Record photo)
STUDY PLANS FOR LLAMBIAS HOUSE KITCHEN
Officials are pictured here studying plans for the proposed kitchen, which Altrusans
plan to construct at the Llambias House. From left are X. L. Pellicer, Historical Soci-
ety; 0. K. Armstrong, city manager; Frank D. Upchurch Sr., Historical Society; 'Mrs.
Darrell Poe, Altrusa president; and Miss Lea We.lls, architect for the'project and Al-
trusa member.


S-(Record photo)
RESTORED DWELLING TO ASSUME NEW IDENTITY
The picturesque Llambias House, St. Francis Street, is slated to assume a new iden-
tity soon, when it becomes official headquarters for the Altrusa Club of St. Augustifie.


The Board of Trustees will
now serve in an advisory capa-
city to the Altrusa Club.
Among the treasures of the
Llambias House, sometimes re-
ferred to as a "Menorcan
Shrine," are authentic re-
productions of furniture, hand-
made in Mahon, Island of Men-
orca, especially for the dwel-
ling. They were presented to
the Historical Society for the
house by Don Fernando Rubio
Tuduri of Mahon and a native
Menorcan.
His gifts included handmade
tables and chairs, beautiful
statues, white fur rugs made
from goat skins, an antique
chest and many additional out-
standing pieces.
Another treasured piece is a
small table, a Llambias family
heirloom given to the Society
for the house.
The Altrusa Club of St. Au-
gustine, has envisioned many
uses for the quaint Llambias
House. They hrpe it will attract
not only local social gatherings,
but they also foresee it as a
highlight for foreign visitors,
school groups and dignitaries
who frequently visit the nation's
oldest city.
Work on the Llambias House
project will be accomplished by
the 28 members of the local Al-
truca Club, founded April 11,
1959. It was chartered April 4,
1962 as a member of Altrusa
International, an organization
devoted to the interest of oth-
ers.
Altrusa is an international
service organization for profes-
sional women and women hold-
ing executive positions in busi-
ness. It is the oldest organiza-
tion of its kind, founded April
11, 1917 in Nashville, Tenn. Its
headquarters are now located
in Chicago, 11!.
This year more than 17,000
members in over 500 clubs in
13 countries will celebrate the
50th anniversary of Altrusa.
Current officers of the local
club are Mrs. Darrell Poe,
president Mrs. Louis Gil-
breath, vice president: Mrs.
Luis Arana. secretary: Mrs. J.
R. Marshall. treasurer: and
board members, Miss Small,


KITCHEN LOCATION
The kitchen which the Altrusa Club plans to construct will
be located in the rear of the Llambias House, in the left
portion of this photo.

Mrs. Sue McDonald, Miss Mar- Flagler Hospital and the Senior
tha Hieatt and Mrs. Elizabeth Citizens Home; "Eyes for the
Scott, immediate past presi- Needy," sponsorship of a pa-
dent. tient at Sunnyland Training
First president w as Mrs. Center; scholarships for St.
Eleanor Brennin, who w a s Johns River Junior College and
elected by the 21 charter mem- various programs to aid deaf
bers of the club. Others serving children and ta lip reading class
in this capacity have been Mrs. for adults, both at the Florida
H 11 d a Aiken, 1960-61; Mrs. School for the Deaf.
James Marshall, 1961-62, 1962- Their first project in 1959 was
63: Mrs. George White, 1963-64- a highly successful school for
1964-65; Mrs. Scott and Mrs. waitresses, a service project.
Poe Additionally. they have serv-
One of the club's most im- ed as hostesses for the Arts and
pressive projects was the pur- Cralts festivals, at the USO and
chase of the organ for the St. at the St. Augustine Art Asso-
Augustine Amphitheatre. Addi- ciation, and ,have been annual
tional undertakings haxe been participants in the "Day In
purchase of equipment f o r Spain' fiesta.




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs