'., ,...-. L.A ,.' "
The Llambias House
The House and Its Restorations
The LLAMBIAS HOUSE was constructed before 1763; how much before it is
impossible to say. As such it is one of the handful of dwellings in St. Augustine
dating to the First Spanish Period.
Evidence would seem to indicate that the house was a typical one story Span-
ish colonial houseinl763. UnderBritish ownership it was enlarged to two stor-
ies, and the restoration architect, Stuart Barnette, believes the stone arches
were used in that period. The front elevation of the house is restored to an ap-
pearance of Territorial Days (1821-1845).
At various places inthe house the superimposed coats of paint have been re-
tained. At other places the techniques of lathing and shingling may be observed.
The lower floor is of tabby, made by the old formula found in documents.
The visitor maybe surprised to find the Llambias House furnished with Amer-
ican and English pieces. The period selected for furnishing spans the years 1800
to 1840, and during half of this time St. Augustine was Spanish. However, doc-
umentary and archeological evidence indicated that during the Second Spanish
period in Florida (1783-1821) trade and commerce was primarily with the United
States and England. For example, of the 42 ships arriving in St. Augustine
in 1806, 37 came from ports in the United States. Archeology disclosed an al-
most total absence of Spanishpottery during this period. Florida was a part of the
United States commercially long before it was politically.
The religious image, NuestraSenorade Monte Toro, Patroness of Minorca,
was given to the Society in 1957 by Don Fernando Rubio Tuduri, of the Island of
The Minorcan Story:
In 1769 a large colony, largely from the Island of Minorca, was planted at
New Smyrna. With the failure of the colony a few years later, the remaining set-
lers moved to St. Augustine, where their descendents still form an important
part of the community. The trials, tribulations and drama of the Minorcan sto-
ory are too lengthy for this leaflet, but since some of the owners of the house,
including the Llambias family, were Minorcans, it is entirely fitting thatthe
house be considered a monument and shrine to the Minorcan group.
Restoration was accomplished by the St. Augustine Restoration and Preserva-
tion Association. Deed to the property is held by the City of St. Augustine. The
St. Augustine Historical Society is responsible for the maintenance and repairs
of the House and grounds, as well as interpretive material and guide service.