Group Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 37 Lot 7, St. Peter's Church
Title: [Letter to John D. Bailey]
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00094866/00001
 Material Information
Title: Letter to John D. Bailey
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 37 Lot 7, St. Peter's Church
Physical Description: Correspondence
Language: English
Creator: Steinbach, Robert H.
Publication Date: 1969
Physical Location:
Box: 7
Divider: Block 37
Folder: Block 37 Lot 7, St. Peter's Church
 Subjects
Subject: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
St. Peter's Church Site (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine
Coordinates: 29.890144 x -81.312581
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00094866
Volume ID: VID00001
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: B37-L7

Full Text

pk 3'17, L7









1 December 1969

CONFIDENTIAL

Mr. John D. Bailey
Thompson-Bailey Agency
Cathedral Street
St. Augustine, Florida
Dear Johns
In reference to the inquiry concerning the location of the first
Presbyterian Church in St. Augustine, it appears that it was located in
block 37, lot 7 (across from the present St. Joseph's Convent). Con-
temporary records indicate that the cornerstone to this church was
laid January 1, 1825. However, construction was not completed until
1831. This lot was also the site of a first Spanish period Parish
church. An article in the ST. AUGUSTINE EXAMINER dated October 6,
1860 records that the tower of the church had fallen down. In 1890
the present church and manse (Sevile St.) was deeded to the Trustees
by Henry Flagler in exchange for the old church and parsonage on St.
George St. The church was totally demolished in 1893.
In regards to the other inquiry concerning block 15, lot IA in
1765 there was a one story stone house in approximately the southeast
corner of this lot. There is no information at present as to its
size. The next structure which we can place definitely on this lot
appears on the Rocque map of 1788 and may have incorporated the 1765
house. This was a one story stone and wood structure in approximately
the same location (southeast corner). The stone and wood house was
approximately 45 feet fronting on St. George and 36 feet deep. In
addition to this there was a second stone building approximately 18
feet to the north with 27 feet fronting on St. George St. and 36 feet
deep. The accompanying key to the map describes this as "a house of
stone and wood in bad condition". Since both structures give the
same number it is evident the one to the north was either a kitchen
or other out building. An early sketch by Morton done in 1867 shows
the site occupied by St. Mary's Convent which offered a second story
masonry fascade on St. George St. but the remainder of the floor was
timber frame. An insurance map of 1893 shows this same southeast
corner occupied by a one story stone and brick building with wood







Confidential

Mr. John D. Bailey
I December 1969
page two


additions to the rear.

Should you require additional information we will be glad
to undertake an indepth study at the very first opportunity.

Very truly yours,


Robert H. Steinbach
Director of Research




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs