• TABLE OF CONTENTS
HIDE
 Title Page
 Main
 Bibliography














Group Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 36, Lot 13 - Horruytiner
Title: The Lindsley House (Block 36 Lot 13)
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00094864/00033
 Material Information
Title: The Lindsley House (Block 36 Lot 13)
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 36, Lot 13 - Horruytiner
Physical Description: Report
Language: English
Creator: Harman, Joyce Elizabeth
Publication Date: 1970
Physical Location:
Box: 7
Divider: Block 36
Folder: Block 36 Lot 13 - Horruytiner
 Subjects
Subject: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
214 Saint George Street (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Horruytiner House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Lindsley House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine -- 214 Saint George Street
Coordinates: 29.891647 x -81.312828
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00094864
Volume ID: VID00033
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: B36-L13

Table of Contents
    Title Page
        Title Page 1
        Title Page 2
    Main
        Page 1
        Page 2
        Page 3
        Page 4
        Page 5
        Page 6
        Page 7
        Page 8
        Page 9
        Page 10
        Page 11
        Page 12
        Page 13
        Page 14
        Page 15
    Bibliography
        Page 16
        Page 17
        Page 18
        Page 19
        Page 20
        Page 21
        Page 22
        Page 23
Full Text











































THE LINDSLEY


Joyce Elizabeth Harman
Historic Saint Augustine
Preservation Board
August 31, 1970


(Block 36


Lot 13)


1
'". '-> *.


HOUSE






























We want to thank the Saint Augustine Historical
Society for providing both working space and
research assistance--for the latter we are es-
pecially indebted to Mrs. Eugenia B. Arana and
Miss Ruth Kent. We want also to express appreci-
ation to Mr. Oliver Lawton, Clerk of the Circuit
Court, and his staff at the Saint Johns County
Courthouse for their help. Finally we want to
thank the Mayor-Commissioner, James Lindsley,
for his aid.










The Lindsley House on Saint George Street (St. Augustine t-Fla._7 1923,

Dist. no. 5, block 36, lot 13) is one of the oldest houses in Saint Augustine.

A structure built of stone can be located on the site "With Reasonable Certainty"

at the time of the First Spanish Evacuation in 1763. The exact construction

date of the house is uncertain, however (Edwards and Peterson 1961). Its

earliest documented owner is Don Diego Horruitiner y Pueyo who owned it at the

end of the First Spanish Period (1565-1763) (Puente 1764: Block Q, no. 215).

Unfortunately, no material has come to light on him, but it is probable that he

was a member of the prominent family that included two Florida Governors--

Luis de Horruytiner and Pedro Benedit Horruytiner.

At the end of the First Spanish Period, the property passed through a

number of hands. Charles Delap is the second documented owner (Delap 17 ?).

He was a Justice of the Peace during part or all of the British Period (1763-

1784) (Works Projects Adm. 1941: Vol. 4, 171), and somehow acquired the

property--perhaps from Diego Horruitiner y Pueyo but it is not certain. Delap

subsequently transferred the property to Juan Josef Eligio de la Puente (Delap

17 ?).

Puente was a native of Saint Augustine. Born July 1, 1724, he was the

son of Antonio Ligio de la Puente of Havana and Augustina Regidor of Saint

Augustine (St. Augustine Hist. Soc. Biog. File). Perhaps the most prominent

Floridian of his century, Puente's career was to include thirty years of military

and civil service (Gold 1969: 204 n. 44). After the loss of Florida he was a










spokesman for the province and its exiled subjects. (Gold 1969: 81) and an

advocate of its recovery (Boyd and Latorre 1953:92). He was to be significant

in shaping Spain's attitude toward the American Revolution (Griffin 1956: 79).

Married February 5, 1747, to Mariana Sanchez, he was the father of a large

family (St. Augustine Hist. Soc. Biog. File).

Puente was the chief officer of Royal Accounts in Florida and returned

to Saint Augustine some nine months after the Spanish evacuation of 1763-64

with orders to dispose of all the remaining Spanish property--Crown, Church

and private. Only a few houses in Saint Augustine had been sold before the

end of the evacuation in January, 1764, and there were few potential purchasers

around. But Puente eventually disposed of all the property before the deadline

imposed by the Treaty of Paris of 1763 (Gold 1969: 38-39, 138). To accom-
the
plish this, however, he did what other Spaniards faced with/same problem had

done before him. He sold in confidence--he turned over the titles with the

understanding the properties would be sold as the opportunity arose and the

profits returned to the Spanish owners (Puente 1772).

Puente, apparently acting as an agent, sold the Lind-ley property to

James Henderson in July, 1764 (Henry 1801). The nature of this particular

sale is not clear--it may have been an outright sale. The transaction is not

listed in Puente's sales to Henderson (Archivo General de Indias 1764), although

Fatio later certified it (Howard 1785a). But Fatio may have done so to make

the title appear legal. Henderson was a family man and an Innkeeper who

purchased a number of houses and lands from Puente (Archfvo General de

Indias 1764; DeBrahm 1763-71).











For most of the British Period the Lindsley House was the property of

Dr. Robert Catherwood. He had acquired it by the Spring of 1765 and held it

up until the end of the Period (Moncrief 1765; Howard 1785a). Catherwood

was a prominent figure in British East Florida and held several positions in

the government of the colony.

A physician, he was a surgeon at the military hospital in Saint Augus-

tine from 1764 until the end of the British Period and for part or all of the

Period was in charge of "His Majesty's" Hospital there (Siebert 1929: Vol.

2, 359; Mowat 1964: 15; East Florida Gazette 1783). At the beginning of

1777, he complained to the commander-in-chief at New York that he was unable

to borrow a spade, shovel or rake from the garrison to clean the hospital

property with. The result was an order to supply him with the implements

necessary for sanitary uses (Siebert 1929: Vol. 2, 359).

In addition to his duties as surgeon, Catherwood was a member of

"His Majesty's Council for East Florida" from the time it was first set up in

October, 1764, up until his suspension from the body in January, 1783. In the

meantime, he also qualified as a Justice of the Peace in March, 1775,and in

1776 was appointed an Assistant Justice of the Court of Common Law and a

Judge of the Court of Vice-Admiralty (Siebert 1929: Vol. 1, 131-32, Vol. 2,

359; Mowat 1964: 14, 164-65). His various duties, of course, involved him

in the political turmoils of the colony. Dr. Andrew Turnbull, who was at odds

with the Governor and some of the Council in 1776, attacked Governor Patrick

Tonyn and several of the Council members. Catherwood he called a "bad






-4-


apothecary who rose to be a worse Surgeon with a proverbial disregard of the

truth" (Mowat 1964: 99).

Catherwood's character is open to question (Mowat 1964: 95). In

January, 1783, a commissioner under flag of truce from Georgia, Colonel

John Skey Eustace, sent a letter to the Council of East Florida charging him

with selling expectations of the award of certain captured Negroes. A Public

Hearing held at Catherwood's request, turned up incriminating evidence to

support the particular charge and other charges as well. As a result, the mem-

bers of the Council unanimously recommended his suspension from his judicial

offices and from the Council until the Crown rendered its decision in the matter

(Siebert 1929: Vol. 1, 131-32).

In February, 1783, Governor Patrick Tonyn sent the proceedings of the

inquiry and the Council's recommendations to the Privy Council in England. He

sent a letter, too, telling how Judge Catherwood's indiscretions and his "open

avowal" of taking extortionate fees "under the denomination of fees of indul-

gence" had aroused a clamor against him. However, it was not until a specific

charge was made that any attention was paid to the rumors (Siebert 1929:

Vol. 1, 131-32; Mowat 1964: 127).

Catherwood and his wife Jane left the province in February, 1785, at

the end of the British Period and went to New Providence in the Bahamas.

There he died in 1786. His widow asked 1, 333 10 s for property lost through

the cession of East Florida to Spain including a house and lot in Saint Augustine

and 1305 acres of land in the province. The Bahama board approved her








-5-


estimate, but the final award made in England was i. 705 7 s 6d (Siebert 1929:

Vol. 2, 263, 359).

Carlos Howard bought Robert Catherwood's house and lot in March,1785

(Howard 1785a). Howard was the Secretary of Government of East Florida under

Governor Vicente Manuel de Zespedes--the first Spanish governor in the Second

Spanish Period (1784-1821). He and his assistant were the only staff members

personally picked by Zespedes.

Howard was a particularly valued member of the Spanish occupation

force in East Florida. He brought to his post political experience along with a

military background, a language ability, and general skill. He was a talented

Irishman in his middle years, cultured, fluent in French and English, and

skilled socially. Since 1761 he had served the King of Spain in Portugal, Al-

giers, Brazil, and Santo Domingo. A captain in the Hibernia Regiment, he had

been in charge of cadet training in the regiment for three years. Toward the

close of the American Revolution he assisted the Secretary to the Captain-

General of Cuba with the translation of secret documents.

Ze'spedes credited Howard with placating British elements opposing the

return of Spanish rule in the province. Howard, a skilled undercover operator

and adroit manager, familiarized himself with all phases of the British resistance

movement and fears about a general uprising of British inhabitants lessened

during the summer of 1784 as a result of his efforts. Thus the change of govern-

ment took place peacefully (Tanner 1963: 26, 47-48, 198, 224).











Howard sold the property to Juan Cavedo in September, 1785. The sale

describes the property at this time as a stone house of two stories with its lot

on the street from the Plaza to the Old Church (Howard 1785b). Cavedo was a

Minorcan from Saint Philipi. Born there in 1762, he came to Saint Augustine

where he apparently worked first as a tailor and later as a farmer. He married

Juana Segui and was the father of a large family. Cavedo, however, did not

keep the property for very long either (St. Augustine Hist. Soc. Biog. File;

Works Projects Adm. : Vol. 3, 23-4).

Juan Quevedo /Caved6o7 sold the property to Francisco Antonio de

Entralgo /Entrealgo_/ in May, 1787. The two-story stone and wood house stayed

in the hands of Entralgo until 1801 (Cavedo 1787). The stone or rubble-work

masonry house (Quesada 1790) was in good condition around this time (Rocque

1788) and Entralgo apparently lived there with his wife, Catalina Hijuelas, and

their family (St. Augustine Hist. Soc. Biog. File).

Entralgo sold a southern portion of the property to Juan Farto de Salas

around 1795-96 (Entralgo 1795-96). In January, 1801, he sold the remaining

part of the property with the two-story stone and wood house, with kitchen, to

John Lazaro Henry (Entralgo 1801). So far no information has turned up on

Henry who kept the property for only six months.

On July 31, 1801, Fernando de la Maza Arredondo Senior bought the

two-story stone and wood house from Henry. Maza belonged to a family honored

in Florida history in both the First and Second Spanish Periods. He himself had

an appointment as an orderly on the hospital staff accompanying the occupation











force at the start of the Second Spanish Period. After the death of the Indian

Commissary for the province, Luciano Herrera,in 1788 he succeeded to

Herrera's post. However, Maza officially held only his original appointment

as orderly on the hospital staff for a long time after he assumed his new duties

(Tanner 1963: 94). Twice-married (Antonia Perdomo and Brigide Gomez),

Maza was the father of eight children (St. Augustine Hist. Soc. Biog. File).

The tile-covered stone house (Wilson 1803) stayed in his hands up

until his death in 1833 at the age of sixty-nine (East Florida Herald 1833b:3).

Six years later (March, 1839) it was sold at a public sale in front of the Saint

Johns County Courthouse to a Virginia Watson of Saint Augustine for fourteen

hundred dollars by virtue of two writs of Fieri Facias (a writ authorizing the

proper legal officer to collect a judgment of debt from the property of a person

against whom the judgment has been made). In this case the judgment was made

against Charles Robiou, executor of Maza's estate (Sanchez 1839).

Little information has turned up to date on Virginia Watson. But she

too apparently lost the property, since it was again sold at a public auction in

front of the Courthouse in Saint Augustine. At this sale onDecember 4, 1843,

Charles Robiou, acting for Ora Howard, bought the property for one thousand

six hundred and ninety-five dollars (Beard 1845).

Ora Howard was originally from Mulford, Massachusetts (East Florida

Herald 1833c). He apparently came to Saint Augustine in the 1830's (East

Florida Herald 1833c, 1835a). In his early years here he served as a Commis-

sioner of County Roads and Bridges (East Florida Herald 1835b:2) and opened












a livery stable on Charlotte Street near J. M. Hanson's store (East Florida

Herald 1835c:4) and a bathing house at the sign of the Pavilion. An advertise-

ment for the bathing house carried in the local press read as follows

NEW BATHING HOUSE
NOW OPENED AT THE SIGN OF
THE PAVILION

WHERE WARM and COLD BATHS
can be taken, and VAPOR and
SHOWER BATHS if wanted,
every Wednesday and
Saturday, and any other
days if 3 baths are required.
Warm baths 50 cents; COLD,
25 cents; by the month,
twice per week, 3 dollars.
Nov 21 1835 Ora Howard
(East Florida Herald 1836: 2)

Howard was also a 3rd lieutenant in Company E of the Saint Augustine Guards

in 1836 (East Florida Herald 1836: 2). In 1850 he was an Inspector of Customs

with an office in the Howard Building on Market Square (Ancient City 1850: 1).

A decade later he was listed as a druggist (St. Augustine Hist. Soc. Biog. File).

Howard mortgaged the Lindsley property in 1846 to Joseph S. Sanchez

who afterwards transferred the mortgage to Joseph Hunter. After the death of

Hunter the receiver of his estate,George R. Fairbanks, foreclosed on Howard who

had not paid the debt. The property was again sold at public auction. The buyer

was George R. Fairbanks, the receiver of Hunter's estate and the complainant

in the suit against Howard, who made the highest bid for it--five hundred dollars

(Gould 1848).











Fairbanks was a lawyer. Born in Watertown, New York, on July 5,

1820, he received his education at Petit Seminaire in Montreal, Canada,

Watertown Academy, and Union College in Schenectady, New York. At Union

College he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree (1839). He subsequently earned

Master of Arts degrees from Union College and from Trinity College in Hart-

ford, Connecticut.

After his admission to the bar of the Supreme Court in New York in

1842, he came to Saint Augustine where he had an appointment as Clerk of the

U. S. Superior Court and District Courts for the northern district of Florida.

He won election to the State Senate four years later and there represented the

counties of Saint Johns, Putnam, Volusia, Orange and Brevard for two years

(1846-1848).

During the Civil War Fairbanks served in the Confederate Army. In

1862 he became Major and quartermaster in the Army of Tennessee and sub-

sequently was put in charge of hospital service in Georgia and Alabama for the

duration of the war. After the war was over, he moved to Sewanee, Tennessee,

where he joined with others to rebuild the war-ruined University of the South

being a charter trustee of the school.

Some fifteen years after the war, he came back to Florida where he

settled at Fernandina. There he became editor of the Florida Mirror in 1880.

A decade later he became president of the Florida Press Association.

Fairbanks spent about twenty years in Saint Augustine. During this time

he became interested in the early history of Florida. He studied the Spanish







-10-


language and sought access to original manuscripts in the Spanish Archives

through Buckingham Smith a resident of Saint Augustine who served for a time

as secretary of the U. S. Legation in Madrid.

A principal organizer of the Florida Historical Society at Saint Augus-

tine in 1856, he served as its first vice-president (1856-1861) and second

president (1902-1906). At the first annual meeting in April, 1857, he delivered

a lecture on the early history of Florida. The lecture was afterwards rewritten,

enlarged and published in 1858 under the title The History and Antiquities of

St. Augustine. Several other works on Florida history followed and a year

before his death he wrote and published The History of the University of the

South.

Fairbanks was also interested in Florida horticulture and the cultivation

of citrus fruits. At one time he owned and operated a large grove near Orange

Lake, Alachua County. He helped organize the Florida Horticulture Society

and was its vice-president for a time. He also served as president of the

Florida Fruit Growers Association and its successor, the Florida Fruit Exchange.

In his later years, he lectured on American History at the University

of the South. He died August 3, 1906, at Sewanee, Tennessee, where he had

built a cottage in 1866 on the University grounds. Married twice (Sarah

Catherine Fairbanks and the widow of Reverend C. W. Wright) he was the

father of five children (Fleming 1908: 5-7; Marchman 1940: 49-50; St. Augus-

tine Hist. Soc. Biog. File).







-11-


On November 9, 1848, Fairbanks and his wife, Sarah, sold the house

and lot to Fanny Dearborn Hanham of Saint Augustine for seven hundred and

fifty dollars (Fairbanks 1848). She was a native of New Hampshire and the

wife of Captain James R. Hanham (St. Augustine Hist. Soc. Biog. File).

Born in England (St. Augustine Hist. Soc. Biog. File), her husband had been

a member of the first Legislative Council of the Territory of Florida which

met at Pensacola in 1822 (Davis 1946: 207-09). In 1848 he was agent in the

Quarter Master Department in Saint Augustine (Florida Herald and Southern

Democrat 1848: 3). In 1850 he was Ordnance Store Keeper with his office

on Saint George Street a few doors south of S. M. Wakeman's Dry Goods

store. There, along with his other duties, he made arrangements for people

desiring to visit the fort (Castillo de San Marcos) (The Ancient City 1850:1).

Mrs. Hanham left the property--dwelling house and lot--to her two

sons, William and James. William Hanham sold his half interest in April,

1866, to John Lott Philips /PFiillips7 for one thousand dollars (Hanham

1866). Phillips was a long-time resident of Saint Augustine. In his early

years he had a preparatory school in the city (East Florida Herald 1833a:4),

but he later held a number of judicial posts--Justice of the Peace (East Florida

Herald 1838; Florida Herald and Southern Democrat 1845:3),' Clerk of the

Circuit Court (St. Augustine Examiner 1859:4), and Judge of the Probate

Court (St. Augustine Examiner 1860: 3). In 1868 he was Judge of Probate and

President of the Board of Saint Johns County Commissioners (St. Augustine




-12-


Examiner 1868:1). Phillips was also involved in real estate (St. Augustine

Hist. Soc. Biog. File). Twice-married (Susan Geiger and Jennie "? 7 Leonardy),

he was the father of several children (St. Augustine Hist. Soc. Biog. File).

John Lott Phillips sold the share of the house and lot that he bought from

William C. Hanham to Annie D. Greeno /Ann Gorrno/ on May 24, 1866, for

the sum of one thousand dollars (Phillips 1866). Mrs. Greeno purchased the

remaining share in the house and lot from the other Hanham heir, James Hanham,

on March 7, 1867, for eleven hundred dollars (Hanham 1867).

Mrs. Greeno owned the property up until her death in February, 1893.

At the time of her death she lived in the house, although she had leased it for

a number of years (Greeno 1885; Alba 1886; Alba, Beecher, and Carver 1891).

In addition to her "Dwelling House and Lot" she owned two houses on Charlotte

Street, a small house near Fort Marion (Castillo de San Marcos) and land on the

west bank of the San Sebastian River and on Anastasia Island. She left the Saint

George Street property to her husband, George S. Greeno (Greeno 1868).

George S. Greeno had come to Saint Augustine after the war /Civil War?/.

A confirmed invalid when he arrived, he was supposedly dying of consumption.

He made a remarkable recovery in the "genial climate, however, and became

a leading citizen (St. Augustine News 1898:8). He went into the grocery and

liquor business with James C. Montgomery at the "Old Stand on Charlotte

Street" (St. Augustine Examiner 1866:3). When the partnership was dissolved

in 1867, he carried on the business by himself (St. Augustine Examiner 1867:3).

At one time he was the mayor of Saint Augustine (St. Augustine News 1898:8).

Greeno leased the property--the lot of land with the Beecher Cottage

(so-called) and other buildings thereon--to the Woman's Exchange of Saint






-13-


Augustine in July, 1895. The lease was to run for ten years with the lessee

paying an annual rent of four hundred dollars. There was a clause, however,

which provided for the termination of the lease before the end of the ten-year

period (Greeno 1895).

The Woman's Exchange moved into the Lindsley House in the summer of

1895 (Tatler 1896: 17). Established two years before to help stay-at-home

women earn extra money (Miami Herald 1958; St. Augustine Record 1968),

the Exchange provided employment to many self-supporting women and offered

the public the opportunity to purchase needle work, fancy articles, and home-made

jellies, preserves, and whole fruits as well as various other items (Tatler 1896:

17).

The Exchange was a successful venture and their new location on Saint

George Street gave them added room for displaying their goods and carrying on

their business. They described their new home as one of the oldest in the city

with "an entrance through a gateway and under beautiful arches. The Exchange

rented furnished several rooms in the house (Tatler 1896: 17, 19). Greeno,

however, sold the property in November, 1896, to Horace Lindsley for seven

thousand and five hundred dollars. Consequently, the Woman's Exchange had

their lease terminated and had to seek new quarters (Greeno 1896).

Lindsley was a Physician. Born February 2, 1862, at Beaumont, Penn-

sylvania, he was the son of Edward and Sarah (Lewis) Lindsley. His father was

a Physician, too, but had given up his practice in Salt Lake City, Utah, and gone

into the lumber business in Pittston, Pennsylvania.







-14-


Young Lindsley graduated from high school in Wilkes Barre, Pennsyl-

vania, after which he set out on a tour of the West. He visited Colorado,

Idaho, and Utah, and worked at various jobs--particularly prospecting in

Utah. But he eventually returned to Pennsylvania, where he joined his father

in the lumber business. Subsequently, he decided to become a doctor. Having

saved some money from his gold prospecting in Utah, he entered his father's

alma mater, the Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia. He studied there

for about two years and then went on to the Hahnemann Medical College in Phila-

delphia where he earned the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1887.

Dr. Lindsley moved to Saint Augustine in 1889, where he set up a

successful practice and became a prominent member of the community. He was

a director of the First National Bank and one of the organizers of the Commer-

cial Bank--he was President of the latter bank for ten years, after which he

resigned and was elected Chairman of its Board of Directors. Lindsley was a

member of the Saint Augustine Board of Trade and also served several terms

on the Saint Johns County Board of Education. He belonged to the Ashler Lodge,

F. and A. M., the Knights of Pythias and was a Democrat.

Lindsley married Bessie Simpson at Dover, New Jersey, on August

12, 1908. Mrs. Lindsley was born in Dover and was the daughter of James

Houston Simpson and Asenath Lantz Simpson. After moving to her new home in

Saint Augustine, she became active in the community's civic and social affairs

working with Niel Neighborhood House, Kings Daughters, and the Woman's

Exchange of which she was a member of the Board of Directors at one time.

















-15-


The Lindsleys were the parents of two sons, James Houston Simpson Lindsley

and Horace E. Lindsley.

Dr. Lindsley died at his horreat 214 Saint George Street on January 21,

1937. Mrs. Lindsley continued to live at their home up until the time of her

death in 1964 at the age of 86. At her death she was survived by her two sons,

a sister, and two grandchildren (Lewis Publishing Co. 1923: 313; St. Augus-

tine Record 1937: 1, 1964; Florida Times-Union 1968: B-4).

The property is currently owned by the two Lindsley sons--Horace E.

Lindsley and James Houston Simpson Lindsley, the Mayor-Commissioner of

Saint Augustine.

Mayor Lindsley, who was born onAnastasia Island during a 1909 hurricane,

has been on the City Commission for nine years and is also a real estate broker

with an office in the Lindsley house. His younger brother, Horace E. Lindsley,

who was born in the Saint George Street house, is in real estate in Ormond.





BIBLIOGRAPHY OF WORKS CITED


Alba, E. M.

1886 Lease, E. M. Alba to R. P. Beecher, July 12,
1886. Courthouse Records, Saint Johns County,
Florida, Miscellaneous Record C, p. 117. Saint
Augustine.

Alba, E. M.; Beecher, R. P.; and Carver, C. P.

1891 Agreement, E. M. Alba, R. P. Beecher, and
C. P. Carver, June 18, 1891. Courthouse Records,
Saint Johns County, Florida, Miscellaneous Record
E, pp. 61-63. Saint Augustine.

The Ancient City (Saint Augustine)

1850 January 5.

Archfvo General de Indias

1764 List of Properties Sold by Puente to Fish and
Others, 1764.
Pap6les de Cuba, Legajo 372. Seville (Spain).
Transcript and translation at Saint Augustine
Historical Society.

Beard, John

1845 Deed, John Beard to Ora Howard, December 3,
1845. Courthouse Records, Saint Johns County,
Florida, Deed Book P, p. 80. Saint Augustine.

Boyd, Mark F. and Latorre, Jose Navarro

1953 Spanish Interest in British Florida, and in the
Progress of the American Revolution.
Florida Historical Quarterly, Vol. 32, No. 2,;
pp. 92-130. Tallahassee.

Cavedo /Quevedo/, Juan

1787 Sale, Juan Quevedo /Cavedo/ to Francisco
Antonio de Entralgo, Saint Augustine, May 10.
East Florida Papers, Library of Congress,
Escrituras, 1784-1821, Reel 169, bundle 367, p. 22.
Washington D. C. Microfilm copy at P. K. Yonge
Library of Florida History, University of Florida,
Gainesville. Brief at Saint Augustine Historical
Society.







Davis, T. Frederick


1946


Pioneer Florida, Florida Historical Quarterly,
Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 39-44. Tallahassee.


De Brahm, William Gerard

1763-71 List of Inhabitants of East Florida, Their Employs.
Business and Qualifications, from 1763 to 1771.
Manuscript in Harvard College Library. Copy at
Saint Augustine Historical Society.

De Lap, Charles


17 ?


Sale, Charles DeLap to Juan Josef Eligio de la
Puente, Saint Augustine, no date. Book or Register
of City Lots (Bundle 409) Saint Augustine Historical
Society. Saint Augustine.


East Florida Gazet-te (Saint Augustine)

1783 February 22-March 1.

East Florida Herald (Saint Augustine)

1833a August 22.

1833b August 29.

1833c November 7.

1835a January 10.

1835b May 20.

1835c July 1.

1836 January 13.

1838 May 12.

Edwards, Henry C. and Peterson, Charles E.


1961


The Don Pedro Horruytiner House. Saint Augustine
Survey 2, 1961, Saint Augustine Historic American
Buildings Survey Field Office Under Direction of the
U. S. Department of the Interior Survey No. Fla. 130,
National Park Service, Branch of Plans and Designs.










Entralgo, Francisco Antonio de


1795-96 Sale, Francisco Entralgo to Juan F. Salas, Saint
Augustine, no date. Book or Register of City Lots
(Bundle 409). Saint Augustine Historical Society.
Saint Augustine.

1801 Sale, Francisco Antonio de Entralgo to John L.
Henry, Saint Augustine, January 31. East Florida
Papers, Library of Congress, Escrituras, 1784-1821,
Reel 171, bundle 373, p. 16. Washington D. C.
Microfilm copy at P. K. Yonge Library of Florida
History, University of Florida, Gainesville. Brief
at Saint Augustine Historical Society.

Fairbanks, George R.

1848 Deed, George R. Fairbanks and Wife, Sarah, to
Fanny D. Hanham, November 9, 1848. Courthouse
Records, Saint Johns County, Florida, Deed Book P,
pp. 173-74. Saint Augustine.

Fleming, Francis P.

1908 Major George Rainsford Fairbanks. Florida
Historical Quarterly, Vol. 1, No. 1, 5-7.
Jacksonville.

Florida Herald and Southern Democrat (Saint Augustine)

1848 March 7.

1848 April Z8.

Florida Times-Union (Jacksonville)

1968 December 31.

Gold, Robert L.

1969 Borderland Empires in Transition: The Triple
Nation Transfer of Florida. Southern Illinois
University Press, Carbondale and Edwardsville.










Gould, James M.


1848 Deed, James M. Gould, to George R. Fairbanks,
March 6, 1848. Courthouse Records, Saint Johns
County, Florida, Deed Book P, p. 173. Saint
Augustine.

Greeno,Annie D.

1868 Last Will and Testament of Annie D. Greeno,
Saint Augustine, January 2, 1868. Courthouse
Records, Saint Johns County Florida, County
Judge's Office, Estate of Annie D. Greeno. Saint
Augustine.

Greeno, George S.

1885 Lease, George S. Greeno and Wife, to E. M.
Alba, May 29, 1885. Courthouse Records, Saint
Johns County, Florida, Miscellaneous Record C,
pp. 115-16. Saint Augustine.

1895 Lease, George S. Greeno to Woman's Exchange of
Saint Augustine, July 9, 1895. Courthouse Records,
Saint Johns County, Florida, Miscellaneous Record F,
pp. 28-29. Saint Augustine.

1896 Deed, George S. Greeno to Horace Lindsley,
November 25, 1896. Courthouse Records, Saint
Johns County, Florida, Deed Book XX, pp. 432.
Saint Augustine.

Griffin, John W.

1956 The Annual Meeting. Florida Historical Quarterly,
Vol. 35, No. 1, 77-79. Tallahassee.

Hanham, James

1867 Deed, James Hanham and Wife Almira to Ann
Greeno, March 7, 1867. Courthouse Records,
Saint Johns County, Florida, Deed Book Q, pp.
480-81. Saint Augustine.








Hanham, William C.


1866 Deed, William C. Hanham and Wife, Sarrah, to
John Lott Philips /Phillips_/ Senior, April 13, 1866.
Courthouse Records, Saint Johns County, Florida,
Deed Book Q, pp. 376-77. Saint Augustine.

Henry, Juan Lazaro

1801 Sale, Juan Lazaro Henry to Fernando de la Maza
Arredondo Senior, Saint Augustine, July 31.
East Florida Papers, Library of Congress, Escri-
turas, 1784-1821, Reel 171, bundle 373, p. 106.
Washington D. C. Microfilm copy at P. K. Yonge
Library of Florida History, University of Florida,
Gainesville. Brief at Saint Augustine Historical
Society.

Howard, Carlos

1785a Letter to the Governor, Saint Augustine, March
8-10. East Florida Papers, Library of Congress,
Escrituras, 1784-1821, Reel 169, bundle 366,
p. 164. Washington D. C. Microfilm copy at P. K.
Yonge Library of Florida History, University of
Florida, Gainesville. Brief at Saint Augustine His-
torical Society.

1785b Sale, Carlos Howard to Juan Cavedo, Saint
Augustine, September 17. East Florida Papers,
Library of Congress, Escrituras, 1784-1821,
Reel 169, bundle 366, p. 387. Washington D. C.
Microfilm copy at P. K. Yonge Library of Florida
History, University of Florida, Gainesville. Brief
at Saint Augustine Historical Society.

Lewis Publishing Company

1923 History of Florida Past and Present: Historical
and Biographical. Vol. 2. Chicago and New York.

Marchman, Watt

1940 The Florida Historical Society, 1856-1861, 1879,
1902-40. Florida Historical Quarterly, Vol. 19,
No. I,P/-65. Tallahassee.








Miami Herald (Florida)

1958 June 8.

Moncrief, James

1765 Plan of the Town of Saint Augustine: Saint
Augustine, March 1, 1765. Enclosure with
Governor Grant to the Lords of Trade. Public
Record Office, Colonial Office 5/540 pp. 178-209.
London, England, Photostatic copy at Saint
Augustine Historical Society.

Mowat, Charles Loch

1964 East Florida as a British Province. University
of Florida Press, Gainesville. First published by
University of California Press, Berkeley and Los
Angeles (1943).

Phillips, John L.

1866 Deed, John L. Phillips to Ann Gorrno /Greeno/,
May 24, 1866. Courthouse Records, Saint Johns
County, Florida, Deed Book Q, p. 378. Saint
Augustine.

Puente, Juan Joseph Elixio de la

1764 Key to Map of San Agustin de Florida. Saint
Augustine, Florida, January 22. Copy and transla-
tion at Saint Augustine Historical Society.

1772 Letter to Marques de la Torre, Havana, March 4.
Stetson Collection, P. K. Yonge Library of Florida
History, University of Florida, AGI 86-7-11/24.
Gainesville. Copy at Saint Augustine Historical
Society.

Quesada, Juan Nepomuceno de

1790 Inventories, Assessments, and Sale at Public
Auction of the Houses and Lots of the King, 1790.
Field Note Division, Department of Agriculture,
"Memorials, Concessions, etc., bundle 364.
Tallahassee. Copy at Saint Augustine Historical
Society.











Rocque, Mariano de la


1788 Description of the Private Plan of the City of
Saint Augustine of East Florida Year of 1788,
Saint Augustine, Florida, April 25, 1788. Field
Note Division, Department of Agriculture,
"Memorials, Concessions, etc., bundle 364.
Tallahassee. Copy at Saint Augustine Historical
Society.

Saint Augustine

1923 Official Map of the City of Saint Augustine,
Florida, June 12, 1923. Saint Augustine.

Saint Augustine Examiner (Saint Augustine)

1859 October 29.

1860 December 22.

1866 September 15.

1867 March 2.

1868 March 7.

Saint Augustine Historical Society

Biographical File.

Saint Augustine News (Saint Augustine)

1898 September 24.

Saint Augustine Record (Florida)

1937 January 21.

1964 April 21.


June 27.


1968









Sanchez, Joseph S.


1839 Deed, Joseph S. Sanchez to Virginia Watson,
March (?). Courthouse Records, Saint Johns
County, Florida, Deed Book N, p. 407.
Saint Augustine.

Siebert, Wilbur Henry

1929a Loyalists in East Florida 1774-1785. Vol. 1.
The Narrative. Florida State Historical Society,
Deland.

1929b Loyalists in East Florida 1774-1785. Vol. 2.
Records of Their Claims for Losses of Property in
the Province. Florida State Historical Society,
Deland.

Tanner, Helen Hornbeck

1963 Zespedes in East Florida 1784-1790.
University of Miami Press, Coral Gables.

Tatler (Saint Augustine)

1896 January 18.

Wilson, Emily L.

1803 Obligation Mortgage, Saint Augustine April 26.
Escrituras 1803 in County Judge's Office, Saint
Augustine. Brief by Emily L. Wilson. Copy at
Saint Augustine Historical Society.

Works Projects Administration,
Division of Community Service Programs,
Historical Records Survey

1941a Spanish Land Grants in Florida. Vol. 3.
Claims Confirmed: D-J.
1st ed. State Library Board, Tallahassee.

1941b Spanish Land Grants in Florida. Vol. 4.
Claims Confirmed: K-R.
1st ed. State Library Board, Tallahassee.




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs