Group Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 36, Lot 13 - Horruytiner
Title: The Historic American Buildings Survey Photo-Data Book Information
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00094864/00026
 Material Information
Title: The Historic American Buildings Survey Photo-Data Book Information The Don Diego Hurruytiner House, St. Augustine, Florida
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 36, Lot 13 - Horruytiner
Physical Description: Report
Language: English
Publication Date: 1961
Physical Location:
Box: 7
Divider: Block 36
Folder: Block 36 Lot 13 - Horruytiner
 Subjects
Subject: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
214 Saint George Street (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Horruytiner House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Lindsley House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine -- 214 Saint George Street
Coordinates: 29.891647 x -81.312828
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00094864
Volume ID: VID00026
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: B36-L13

Full Text









THE HISTORIC AMERICAN BUILDINGS SURVEY

PHOTO-DATA BOOK INFORMATION







Tits

DON DIEGO HURRUTrTIER HOUSE

St. Augustine, Florida

















National Park Servioe
Eastern Office Division of Design and Construction
St, Augustine Field Office

August 1961





PART I GENERAL


Name of structures


Present owner i


Present occupants


Present usem


Lumber of stories


Onmral layouts


Type of wall onstructien (gen.):

Coadities of fabric


Don Pedro Horruytiner Hese, 214 St. George
Street, St. Augustine, St. Johns County,
Flerida.

Mrs. Horace Lindaley, 214 St. leorge Street,
St. Augustine, Florida.

Same.


Private residence.


21 (3rd story is partially within roof with
dormers).

Rectangular asery bleeok with 1-story el*
and ether wooden additions.

Stmoe masonry, brick and wood.

Well prservedj modern eoupaney.


Sigaifieance and merits


Architectural:



Historical


Plan is one of several types oeammn to early
St. Augustine Masonry, inasmuch as it can be
dated to the First Spanish Period, is of
arohauelogioal interest.

If the Herraytiner attribution is correct
(see below), the house can he associated
with a family prominent in the early presidio
of St. Augustine. Luis Horruytiaer was
governor of Spanish Florida, 1633-1638 and
an earlier Pedro Benedit Herruytiner was gover-
nor ad imserim. 1652-1656.


-1.





PART II ACHITECTURS ITEMIZED IWSCRIPTI(O


MXTERIR


Overall dimensions


Foenadationst


Wall e@estruetiona







Poyehea, Ote. *


Chiameysa


b11' x 3' exclusive of wood additions

Cequina blocks notes "cequina" is local
shellatene quarried on nearby Anastasia Is-
land and used for construction in St. Augus.
tine sinee 1580 (letter to King from OGv.
Podro Mrndes Marqus, Deo. 27, 1583).

CoquiaA blocks squared and laid in roughly
heisoantal eeurses, plastered inside and eut;
exterior painted and, at one stage, scored to
simulate ashlarl S3 wall and loggia have had
recent eeat of shell-dash moment stueoe. Par-
apets and cerbiemstop gables of briek plaster-
ed. Wood additions are stud walls with common
siding.

2 arrow weed covered balconies (S. and E.
Bloev.) supported one slander bracketsa 19th.
eeatary detail.


(2), ooquina and brick.


Openings doorways and deers,



Openings window and shutterst


Reef Shape and oeveringt


Eaves, etoa

Dermers


Various types, noae original except narrow
arched-beaded double French doers onto
balconies which may be early 19th cent.
Simple masonry openings.

Windows. mostly 24-lt. d. h. with some 14-t.
replaeamnts. 3 mall d. h. window have
stained glass in simple oeemetrie pattern in
wd* auntins,

Shutters none existing on building but fixed
lever type purported te have come from this
building (fit asall stained glass windows and
French doors onto balcony) have been recover-
ed (possession of Kenneth W. Tkw, 250 St.
George Street, St. Augustine).

Able with parapet S. and E. Covering& hex.
asphalt-cement shingles on wood sheathing.

Simple eaves with exposed rafters on W.; par-
apet S. and E.; no parapet on N. gable*

(5), those on E. side have brick corbie-step
gables.


-2-





INTERIOR


Floor plans 1st Floori


-2nd Flooeers

-3rd (i) Floeer

Stairways




Flooringt





Wall and ceiling finish$

Doorways and doors


Vestibule, stair hall, drawing room, dining
room, loggia kitchenn, utility rom, eto. in
wooed ll).

4 rooms, stair hall and bath

4 roons, stair hall and bath

(2). Main stairs wood, double flight with
landing, mahegany rail and turned newels;
exterior stair from loggia to 2nd Fl.
masonry with wood severed treads and risers,
wood rail.

1st Floor and Loggias mosaic tile of various
shapes soe with decorative borders and senter-
pieces (all late 19th coen.)
2nd and 3rd Floors: wood plank with modern
hardwood flooring laid ever older plank floor
2nd Floor only.

Plaster throughout.


Variety of types mostly
old (19th eon.) 6-pan.
French type curved head
of some interest.


replaoensats. Som
Slender glass-pan.
doeers to balcony


Mostly siple unnaolded or with molded back-
baa) some 19th ea. pilaster trim with
corner bleoeks. Mantelsi wood with carpenter
detail.


Modern replaeemonts.


Modern electric


Fireplaces (4) and stoves.


Orientations


Inelesures a


Landscaping, gardens, ete.


Faces east (St. George Street) I East facade
directly on street, garden on S. and W.;
Wall of adjacent building abutts on N.

Masonry walls enclose property on south,
east, and north.
No formal landscaping; informal planting of
semi-tropical species; old coquina well in
garden.
-3-


Triam


Hardware

Lighting$
Heating





PART III HISTror



PHYSICAL HISTORY

Geaerals
A house can be identified an the site with sam degree of certainty at
the tine of the first Spanish evacuaties in 1763 (#215, 1oeek Q, Juan Elixio do
la Paete Map, 1764, copy in the library of the St. Augstine istori Society,
722 At frans- Street, St. Augustine). This is described as a "hoease of stoie"
belonging to Dea Pedroe Bbedit lorruytiner y PaUe. (Noest the de la Pente Map is
very sketehy and inseourate and positive identification eanot be made).
When Charles Howard bought the property froan Robert Catherwood in 1785
(eeo chain of ownership below) he described the house as "uninhabitable"
(Eseritura,. ly 178 ).
When Howard sold the property to Juan Caved* in September of the sane
year the house is described as "a stone house of 2 eateries" (Nsarituraso 1786).
When the house was sold to Antonio do Intralgo in 1787, it is recorded
as a "2 story house of weed and stone" (Eserituras, 1787).
On the Marian do la Roque Map of 1788 (eop in library of St.
AugustineHist. Soc.), the plan of ethe e is soheatioally given and correspends
quite well with that of the existing house before the 19th eon. alterations and
addittM.
All that ean safely inferred from the above is (1) there was is all
probability a house on the site at the time of the de la Puente transfer (first
Spanish exaauation), (2) this house was of stone masonry although we know
nothing about its plan or appearance, (3) it continues to be described during the
English and Second Spanish Periods as a stone masonry house, and (4) on the Reoque
Map of 1788, the plan resembles that of the present house. Sinee there is no
record of major destruction or rebuilding (Charles Howard's statement above may
only refer to negleet),and since it is reasonable to assume that in any lesser
program of rehabilitation or alteration, existing masonry walls would be retained
whenever possible, it is quite likely that we have in the construction and to some
extent the form of this house a substantial remain of the First Spanish
Period (1535-1763).

Original and subsequent owners a
1763 Pedro Aloantara Benedit Herruytiner y Pueyo
(Puento Transfer, July 9, 17641 E oritures 1785, p. 164)

1761 Juan Slixie de la Puente
(Poente Transfer, Paelas do Cuba, jLegaej 72, Soville, Spain)





1764 James Headerson
(Puanto Lists SAHS file, Esorituras 1785, p. 164

Between 1764 1785 Robert Catheriood

(Fatio certified No. 2 Jenkins Blook legal property of
Catherwood. Esorituras 1785, p. 164. H.ndersea and
Cathervood eed the house during the British Ooeupation
Of Florida. 1763 1783.)

March 8-10, 1785 Charls Howard

(Easeriturae 1785, p. 164)

September 17, 1787 Juan Cavedo
(Eaerituras 1787, p. 387)

May 10, 1787 Franciseo Antonio de Entralge
(Eorituras 1787, p. 2)

January 31, 1801 John Lasaro Henry
(Es~rituraa 1801, p. 16)

July 31, 1801 Fernando de la Mass Arredmndo

(EeoritMs 1801, p. 105)

Rarch 28, 1839 Virginia Watsae - by auction - U.S. Marshal's
Deed

(2 Writs of Fieri Facias St. Johns County Records Deed
Beek O* P. 407.)

December 3, 18h4 Ora Howard - by auction - U.S. Marshal's
Deed.
(34CR Book FP*, p.80)





Narch 6, 18S8 George R. Fairbanks - by auction - Sheriff's Deed
(Howard mortgaged to Samohes who assigned to uater. Fair-
banks acting for fHnter. SJCR Book *P*, p. 173).

Nwemaber 9, 1868 Fany Habham

(SJCR Deed Book *P*, p.173).

1854 (Will) James Hanha, husband ad tve onso after his death.
(Book of Wills and Letter of Ada. Beek I, pages 268-269.
Mr. Hanhm died before 1866 as sea William sold his half
to John S. Phillips who resold to Ann Grewne then James
seld his half to Mrs. or*.".)


1866 The Hanhan sons:
1866
1867


willia to John S. Phillips (Book
Phillips to Ann Groen (Book
James, his half to Aa Oreeoo
(Book


"Q#,
eq"


p. 376)
p. 378)


1866-1867 Ann Orean

( WSCR Deed Boek "QC, p. 378-481)

1893 George 8. Green husband of Ama GroomR


(WILL dated January 2, 1868.
Book 8, p. 387)


Mrs. Oreeno died 1893.


ewamber 26, 1896 Horase LUndeley

(Deed Book *"e, p. h32 MJCR).

Notes All of the foregoing changes of title are based on a doe omted rsearoh
report made on the house by Ileamor Phillips laraw for J. H. S. Liadsley
in 1955. Moot of the Spanish doments eited may be soneulted in e.pies
in the library of the St. Augustine Historical Sooiety.


Date of erections


Unknem, probably originally before 1763. House in
present form probably dates from the English Period
1783) or aere likely frea the Second Spanish Period
1821).


Architect and builders


*Q", p. 181)


its
(1773-
(1783-


Uaknewn





Original plans, eto


Notes on alterations and additions


Important old vievs


SOURCES OF INFORMATIONs


Mrs. Eleanor Phillips Bornes,


None knowns little likelihood of recovery.

Many alterations 19th oentary 1-story all
and other wood additions main stair and
varies interior alteration balooewes
probably rebuilt 19th seat brick parapet
and eorbie*etep gables added by Dr. Indaley
oa. 1908) ne roof and 3rd floor rebuilt at
sam timie. No satisfatory ehroneolo far
maet of the alterations oan be obtained

One curious remaant of former construction
should be mBntioned. between the floor and
sailing below in the 8. roem o the 2nd
Floor against the wall, a shallow brick
vault has boe" enaoleod. This vault whioh
measures about 2* x 4' is framed between
headers each end and abutted by a floor
Joist and a fraBant of ooquina wall
eaatileverod beyond the vall below. The
most probable interpretation som to be
that this is the vestigial remains of a
formw fireplace and hearth. A 12" x 12"
recess of uncertain purpose oaurs in the
eoquina vail.


None has so far oca to light.


St. Augustine, Florida


Reeolleotions of Mrs. Heraee Liudaley,


St* Auguatine, Florida


St. Augustine Hiatorical Seoiety, St. Auguatine, Florida


-7-




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs