Group Title: Historic St. Augustine: Fatio Block 34, Lot 2
Title: A Hotel of 150 Years Ago Recreated
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00094855/00035
 Material Information
Title: A Hotel of 150 Years Ago Recreated Historic Old House Opening
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: Fatio Block 34, Lot 2
Physical Description: Clipping/photocopy
Language: English
Publication Date: 1978
Physical Location:
Box: 7
Divider: Block 34
Folder: Fatio B34-L2
 Subjects
Subject: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
20 Aviles Street (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Ximenez-Fatio House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine -- 20 Aviles Street
Coordinates: 29.891099 x -81.311673
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00094855
Volume ID: VID00035
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: B34-L2

Full Text
5 i N Crr


A Hotel Of 150 Years Ago Recreated


Historic Old House Opening


Today's travelers will have an
opportunity to see how the traveler of
yesterday was accommodated in the
oldest city, when the historic
Ximenez-Fatio House opens to
visitors, Wednesday.
The Aviles Street structure,
maintained by the Colonial Dames in
Florida, is open from March 1 through
Sept. 1, Mondays, Wednesdays and
Friday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
There is no admission charge.

THE COLONIAL DAMES have
recreated at the Ximenez-Fatio House
a hotel of 150 years ago, explaining
that the picturesque structure "knew
no peer as a hotel-its breezy
galleries welcomed visitors and the
culinary wonders of its dinner table
were famous..."
Built circa 1798 and now listed on
the National Register of Historic
Places, the Ximenez-Fatio House was
constructed and operated as a store
by a wealthy Spanish' merchant,
Andres Ximenez.
It's one of the oldest buildings in St.
Augustine, preserved rather than
being restored, the Colonial Dames
note with pride.
From Ximenez, the structure
passed to Mrs. Margaret Cook,
described as "an astute
businesswoman," who turned the
property into an inn or boarding
house. It operated in that capacity
during the Seminole War, being sold,
in 1838, to another woman, a widow,
Sarah P. Anderson. She operated it as
an inn for 17 years.
CHARLES E. PETERSON, ar-
chitectural historian who came from
Philadelphia in 1972 to advise the
Dames in their efforts to present the
house, with historical authenticity,
called it a "horse-tel," the Dames
explain.
"It was a 'horsey' world in the 1830s
and sportsmen guests of the hostelry
could have horses delivered from
nearby livery stables for their hunting
parties after ducks, turkey, quail,
deer and other game which abounded
in the area."

THIRD WOMAN owner of the
historic house was Miss Louisa Fatio,
who obtained the property in 1855. She
continued and improved the
reputation for the luxurious ac-
commodations available there.
It was from a descendant of Miss
Fatio that the Colonial Dames pur-
chased the property. They obtained
the Ximenez-Fatio House from Judge
David R. Dunham, with the
agreement that "neither the Society
nor any future owner would disfigure
the exterior or architectural lines of
house or kitchen," members of the
Colonial Dames recount.

TODAY THE HOUSE is presented
by the Dames, not as a museum of
antiques, but as an inn as it was in the
1830-1860 era. The visitor can see,
since the "board" set by the in-
nkeeper was extremely important,
the huge dining table is a central
attraction. Set with snowy linen,
sparkling crystal, polished period
silver, and overhung with a


punkahh," or fly whisk it was a Mecca
for hungry patrons.
The food was prepared in a separate
kitchen, brought in on trays, laden
with steaming covered dishes and
served family style. "This was
gracious living for gentle people come
to sunny Florida," the Dames point
out.
The kitchen, fully furnished, is one of
the most unusual features, the Dames
continue. This sturdy edifice is seen
on the back of the property equipped


with an ample fireplace and ap-
propriate utensils of the times. It
provided the bounteous, delectable
and widely varying meals, but spared
the guests the noise, the smoke and
kitchen smells.
Hot breads, pies and cakes were
baked in a recessed oven to the right
of the fireplace. It was commonplace
at the main meal of the day to serve:
three kinds of meat (including
venison); four seafoods (oysters,
shrimp, crabs, fish); three garden


vegetables, hot breads; and dessert
including fruit, berries and grapes..
Wines were served since the patrons.
seldom cared for sulphur water.
TWO HOSTESSES will be on hand
when the house is open, Mrs. Kimball
Bobbitt, manager, and Mrs. Kenneth
Boyd, co-manager, and they'll be
happy to answer questions about the
structure and its history.
Mrs. William Dow Lovett,
Jacksonville, is current president of
the Colonial Dames in Florida.


Ximenez-Fatio House Located On Aviles Street


Frb. c 5-7 t/ 7g




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs