By ANNE CARLING
The story of tourism 150 years ago in St.
Augustine is undergoing a transformation of sorts at
the historic Ximenez-Fatio House on Aviles Street,
where members of the Colonial Dames of Florida,
owners of the structure,. have just spent $75,000 on
an exterior restoration of the building.
But, smiles Norma (Mrs. William G. Jr.)
Lockwood, that's just the beginning. There's the
interior and kitchen restoration to go, as well.
THE COLONIAL DAMES HAVE' owned the
.Ximenez-Fatio House since 1939, and since that
time have endeavored, explains Mrs. Lockwood,
"to show a way of life in St. Augustine 150 years
ago.... Our story is the story of tourism," and the
Colonial Dames are endeavoring to show this story
as accurately as they possibly can.
Thus the extensive restoration plan.
It's been a long road, and there's still a way to go,
blonde Norma Lockwood smiled, seated in the
garden of the Aviles Street house. Visitors were
being led on tours of the 16 rooms, the kitchen and
the handsome gardens.
For the past 10 years, Mrs Lockwood has been
chairman of the research and restoration com-
mitee, and, in this capacity she's overseen a lot of
work it's been a difficult task, yes, she admits, but
it's been a lot of tun too
TO ACCOMPLISH THE RESTORATION, the
Colonial Dames first w'vent t.: Dr. William Seale of
Alexandria, Va an historian and expert in
American decorative arts He set down guidelines
Not ,only has Seale been of invaluable help to the
Dames, but so has Bob Harper of the Historic St.
Augustine Preservation Board He's been a "terrific
help," Norma emphasizes
Once a plan had been drawn for the restoration,
the Dames launched a searchh for funding.
Eventually, th-v v.'ere granted matching funds from
the Erdkth Bush Charilable Fund.
Addllional fuli.lny came irom'the Jessie Ball
duPont Educational, Religious and Charitable
Trust, the Barnett Bank of St Augustine and the
cedar shingle roof -- original shingles were found on
the addition to the structure and thus were
duplicated exactly; a paint analysis of the exterior
which resulted in the white exterior instead of the
sand color it had been painted; and green shutters
which will be operable just like in the old days --
open in the day, closed at night.
A new twist to the exterior color is the addition of
a salmon color to the second story wing. The
history of the salmon color', recounts Mrs. Lock-
wood, is that the upstairs porch was considered an
extension of the bedroom, with patrons using the
porch for their parlor.
Now that the exterior is completed, Dames will
turn their attention to the interior and to the
separate kitchen building which must also undergo
For the interior, a paint analysis is necessary.
more appropriate furnishings, addition of clothing
and little transient items to make the house look
lived in; and floor coverings will be added.
THE HISTORY OF THE Ximenez-Fatio I louse
dates to 1798. Andres Ximenez was the first
owner, and the structure, which later became a
private boarding house, was first used as a store
and warehouse downstairs, with a home upstairs.
An interesting thing about the location, says Mrs.
Lockwood, is that it has "always been a com-
It became a private boarding house in the late
1820's, and the Dames are endeavoring now to
"more accurately depict a boarding house of th'
territorial days." The period now being depicted is
from the 1820's to the 1840's, and the name Fatio
comes fr6m Louisa Fatio, who operated it as a
private boarding house.
PATRONS OF THE PROJECT will get a look at
the work thus far, this coming week, when they'll
be invited to a cocktail party at the house the day
before the annual meeting of the Colonial Dames in
The annual meeting of the organization is
planned May 10, with business sessions at the
Trinity Episcopal Parish hall and luncheon at the
About 125 or more are expected for this annual
.. ,.l." r ""
L^ ^ ^ fe a^. .' .: :...... ,.,,,.,..-
-* -- ***. *
testing historic Aviles Street structure are Mary Beth (Mrs.
-Fatio Jack) Lynch, left, Mrs. Lockwood on the balcony;
its In and below, May (Mrs. Kimball) Bobbit, left; Becky
at the (Mrs. John) H. Rogers.
Record Color Photo By JIM LANE
Photos OnPage 5-B
Too, the 452 members of the Colonial Dames in
Florida dipped into their pockets to provide fun-
The Colonial Dames is currently headed by Mrs.
William Dow Lovett of Jacksonville. Mrs. Donald
Robinson is house chairman.
The 452 membership total includes a number
from.St. Augustine, also.
WITH THE RESTORATION, Dames decided to
"do things as the money becomes available."
The exterior transformation included a new.
headquarters for the Colonial Dames in Florida,
although just recently they did obtain another
restoration-preservation project in the form of
several rooms in an hli-oric project in Pensacola.
That house, however, is owned by the Pensacola
restoration foundation. wheinas the St. Augustine
project is the property of ihe Dames
From now until Labor Day. visitors and residents
of the city can get a look at a private boarding
house of territorial days, as the house is open
Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays from 11 a.m.