<%BANNER%>
Florida Master Site File
ALL VOLUMES CITATION SEARCH THUMBNAILS MAP IT! PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00094838/00007
 Material Information
Title: Florida Master Site File Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board, Historic Properties Inventory Form - Wakeman House - Florida Heritage House
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: Wakeman/Heritage House, Block 28 Lot 1, Archaeology
Physical Description: Application/form
Language: English
Publication Date: 1980
Physical Location:
Box: 7
Divider: Block 28 Lot 1 (Heritage House)
Folder: Wakeman/Heritage House, B28 L1, Archaeology
 Subjects
Subjects / Keywords: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
1 Aviles Street (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Heritage House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Wakeman House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine -- 1 Aviles Street
Coordinates: 29.892097 x -81.311584
 Record Information
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: B28-L1
System ID: UF00094838:00007

Full Text


FLORIDA MASTER SITE FILE
HISTORIC ST. AUGUSTINE PRESERVATION BOARD
HISTORIC PROPERTIES INVENTORY FORM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I. LOCATION & LEGAL DESCRIPTION
FDAHRM 802== Site No. _/_l 2_ 1009==
WakemSite NaHm usea 3 Survey Date: 7 820=
Site Name: Florida Heritaee House 830== Survey Date: 7809 820==


905==


Address: 11 King Street, St. Augustine. FL 32084
Instructions for Locating:


813== County: St. Johns


Location: City of St. Augustine
(subdivision)


28
(block)


808==
868==


(lot)


868==
Owner of Site: Name: Trustees of Internal Improvement Fund, Inc.
Address: Tallahassee, FL
902==
Occupant or Manager: 904==
Type of Ownership: State 848== Zoning: HP-2
NR Classification Category: Building 916== Recording Date: 832==
UTM: 17 469890 3306660 890== Location: T07S R30E S18 812==
(zone) eatingn) nothingn) (T) (R) (S)
Map Reference: USGS St. Augustine 7.5 MIN 1956 (PR 1970) 809==
Recorder: Name & Title: Nolan, David (Historic Sites Specialist)
Address: H.S.A.P.B. 818==


II. SITE DESCRIPTION
Condition of Site:
( ) Excellent
(X) Good
( ) Fair
( ) Deteriorated

Integrity of Site:
( ) Altered
(X) Unaltered
(x) Original Site
( ) Restored Date:
( ) Moved Date:


863==
863==
863==
863==



858==
858==
858==
858==
858==


Thr(
( )
( )
( )

( )


eats to Site:
Zoning
Development
Deterioration
Borrowing
Transportation
Fill
Dredge
Other


0t. -


878==
878==
878==
878==
878==
878==
878==
878==


(lot)






II. SITE DESCRIPTION, continued.
Original Use: Museum 838== Present Use: Commercial 850==
Date: +1965 844== Period:20th cent. 845== Culture: American 840==
Architect: 872==
Builder: 874==
Style: Masonry Vernacular 964==
Plan Type: Rectangular 966==
Exterior Fabrics: Stucco
854==
Structural Systems: Concrete block wall 856==
Features of Structure: (942)
Window Type: DHS 12/12 942==
Foundation: Concrete block wall 942==
Roof Type: Hip 942==
Secondary Roof Structures: Balconies, shed 942==
Porches & Balconies.: Second floor balcony on front and rear two story
porch. 942==
Chimney Location: Offset, rear slope 942==
Materials: (882)
Chimney: Concrete block stuccoed 882==
Roof Surfacing: Wood, shakes 882==
Ornament Exterior: Chamfered wood posts
882==
Quantitative Data: (950-954)
Chimneys: 2 952== Dormers: 954== Stories: 2 950==
Other: 956==
Surroundings: Commercial 864==
Relationship to Surroundings: Faces plaza.


859==


II. PHOTOGRAPHY
Photographic Records Numbers: 860==
Contact Prints







Page 2

------------------------------------------------------------------

IV. SIGNIFICANCE
Areas of Significance: Architecture, Tourism, Commerce, Hotels. Military.
920==
Statement of Significance: (911==)
ARCHITECTURE
This two-story Masonry Vernacular building known as the Florida Heritage
House or the Wakeman House was reconstructed in 1965 at 11 King Street by the
Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board. Long wooden balconies with cham-
fered posts extend from the front and rear (north and south) sides. The criss-
cross design on the railing, a pattern typical of the early American period
(1821-1860) is clearly shown on the 1855 Horton View of St. Augustine. Wake-
man constructed this building about 1852. The board and.batten construction
can be seen in a Civil War period photograph in the Strozier Library, F.S.U.,
collection. The reconstruction consists of concrete block walls with a stucco
finish. The building faces the Plaza in a commercially developed section of
the city.
The Plaza area--a central green with surrounding buildings on the bay-
front--is an essential feature of the St. Augustine town plan listed on the
National Register of -Historic Places. The Plaza has been the favorite place
for the town's monuments from colonial through modern times, and it has been
a periodic focal point for community improvement drives, tree plantings, etc.
It has included many different features over the years, including an alliga-
tor pond and an open bandstand popular for music and political rallies. The
Plaza is bordered by churches, commercial and governmental buildings repre-
senting a range of construction dates of over 180 years. The buildings
around the Plaza have changed over time. There have been rebuilding on
sites after fires and demolitions, and the scale, mass and style of the sur-
rounding buildings have changed over the years. The area includes St. Augus-
tine's tallest building, the Atlantic (formerly First National),Bank. There
have been conscious attempts over the years to model or remodel buildings
in Spanish or St. Augustine Colonial Revival style. The skyline above the
Plaza is lined with the Spanish Renaissance Revival towers and domes of the
Flagler era. The area has been augmented by the creation of additional adja-
cent green areas west of Government House with public monuments put in after
World War I. The Plaza is not only a famous scenic site for tourists, it is
also located at the center of the town's commercial, religious and govern-
mental life. As a result, traffic and parking problems plague the area, and
many significant buildings in adjacent areas have been demolished for park-
ing lots.
------------------------------------------------------------------ l ----

V. BIBLIOGRAPHY
1. "Real Ordenanzas para nuevas poblaciones," Hispanic American Histor-
ical Review, Vol. 4 (November, 1921), pp. 743-53; Anon., "S. Augustini pars
et terrae Florida," 1588; Archivo General de Indias 54-5-9/47 and 49 (Stet-
son Collection).
2. Juan Jose Elixio de la Puente, "Plano . de la Plaza de San
Agustin," January 22, 1764; Mariano de la Rocque, "Piano Particular de la
Ciudad de San Agustin," April 25, 1788; Ramon de la Cruz, "Inventario,"
June 4, 1821, East Florida Papers, Bundle 260, No. 1.









HISTORY
The concept of a plaza or public square has been central to Spanish ur-
ban planning in the new world since the late 16th century. According to a
1572 royal ordinance, the plaza was to function as the principal recreation-
al and meeting area in the community and was to be surrounded by the most
important governmental and ecclesiastical buildings. The St. Augustine
Plaza dates from this period, although only one of the stipulated buildings,
the Governor's Mansion, actually fronted the Plaza before the early 18th
century.(1) In the 18th and early 19th centuries, Phe plaza became surroun-
ded by a cluster of newer civic and religious structures, including the
Bishops' House (later the British Statehouse and Spanish provisional church)
at the corner of St. George and King, the Accountancy and Treasury building
at the corner of Cathedral and Charlotte, the public school at the corner
of St. George and Cathedral, and the parish church (now the Basilica-Cathe-
dral). The Plaza itself contained several colonial structures, most notably
the non-extant stone guardhouse at the eastern section and the still stand-
ing constitution monument at the then center of the square.(2) Construction
of Trinity Episcopal Church and the Public and Fish markets were major chan-
ges introduced in the 1820's and 1830's, although the "Public Square" went
only as far as Aviles (Hospital) Street just west of the above markets. In
the 1870's trees, plants, and fountains were added to beautify the "Plaza
de Constitucion," a Confederate monument was erected, and the Plaza was ex-
tended east to Charlotte Street. By the late 1880's, the Plaza was ringed
by large structures, notably the St. Augustine Hotel. Smaller commercial
buildings replaced the hotel after the devastating fire destroyed the hos-
telry and severely damaged the Public Market and Cathedral in 1887. In
1893, Cathedral Place was extended from St. George Street to Cordova Street,
thus forming a smaller Plaza to the west of Government House. Although the
massive 18th century coquina Rosario redoubt had been earlier demolished to
widen Cordova Street, the west Plaza area was still engulfed by the monumen-
tal Flagler hotels on the south and west and by a cigar factory on the north.
Dramatic alterations were seen in the Plaza area in the 1920's. A bandstand
was built in the center of the Plaza, the Ponce de Leon statue was unveiled
to the east, the tall First National Bank building was constructed, and the
Bridge of Lions was opened at the east end, formerly the Plaza basin. In
the last two decades, demolition of the Bishops' House and Bishop Block
have altered the view in the northwest corner of the Plaza.(3)
This building at 11 King Street represents a structure once owned by
Seth M. Wakeman, a Connecticut merchant who operated a grocery store in the
structure. A photograph taken during the Civil War shows the building occu-
pied by Union soldiers.(4) Another photograph around the 1880's shows its
function as a store. The building is painted a dark color with white (or
light) trim on the railing and posts of the balcony and around the windows.(5)
The 1884 Sanborn map shows a three-story frame building housing a dry-goods
store and "Gentlemen's Store" whice is non-existant by 1888. The 1893 map
shows a three story veneered concrete building designated "Lynn's Hotel".
The hotel is later called the Algonquin and finally became the Chataugua Hotel
by 1910. It housed restaurants, stores and the Bayview Hotel and apartments
before demolition for the existing structure.(6) The building is now occupied
by a gift shop and architect's office.