Group Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 25, Lot 2
Title: [Memo to Earle Newton re: "Garage" property at corner of Bravo Lane and Charlotte Street]
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00094827/00001
 Material Information
Title: Memo to Earle Newton re: "Garage" property at corner of Bravo Lane and Charlotte Street
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 25, Lot 2
Physical Description: Correspondence
Language: English
Creator: Parker, Susan
Publication Date: 1990
Physical Location:
Box: 7
Divider: Block 25 Lot 2
Folder: Block 25 Lot 2
 Subjects
Subject: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine
Coordinates: 29.890638 x -81.310918
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00094827
Volume ID: VID00001
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: B25-L2

Full Text











HISTORIC ST. AUGUSTINE PRESERVATION BOARD


N E H 0 R A N 0 U M


DAATE: June 2z, 1990

TO: Earle Newton

FROM: Stusan Parker

RE: "Gerage" property at corner of Bravo Lane and Charlotte
Street

Attached is my report on the cartographic evidence and the
documentary evidence regarding the location of structures an this
lot in colonial times. It is unfortunate that although St.
Augustine's colonial period was long, the maps which show
buildings in St. Augustine for the colonial period were produced
within approximately 25 years. This leaves the modern researcher
with none for almost the first two centuries, and none for the
latter part of the second Spanish period.

As you will see, the report concludes that the parcel that SAAFI
owns probably contained the dependencies for the main house that
stood at the southeast corner of the block, where Marine Street
and Bravo Lane intersect.









CARTOGRAPHIC REPORT FOR LOT 2, BLOCK 25


The cartographic information available for the colonial and early
Territorial periods shows no historic structure located wholly on
the "Garage property," the southerly part of Lot 2, Block 25,
City of St Augustine, purchased by St. Augustine Antiguo
Foundation, Inc., in the summer of 1989.

PUENTE map (1764) This is the earliest extant map showing
structures for the entire colonial city. Juan Joseph Elixio
de la Puente did not have expertise in engineering,
cartography, or surveying. He made the "real estate" map
under the pressure of the evacuation of Spanish subjects
departing in the fact of the incoming British. It is
generally accepted that Puente's map is somewhat
representational of the location of buildings. They "key"
which accompanies it lists owners, building materials and
dimensions of lots. For the'subject property, Puente's map
and key do not correspond. There are three parcels listed
for this block ("e" on Puente's map), one owned by the
mapmaker himself.

According to Puente's key, Juan Ruiz (no. 275) owned the
southwest portion of the block: a lot measuring north-south
32} varas (approx. 94.3 feet) and 18 varas (approx 52.2
feet) east-west, with tabby and frame houses. Imposing the
measurements from Puente's key onto the map for the three
parcels located on this block, the 1764 lot boundary (see
figure la) falls just inside the wall of the southernmost
house abutting Charlotte Street. (Logic, of course,
dictates that it would have been along the exterior, not
barely into the building.) Although the key states that
there is more than one house on the subject property, the
map itself shows barely a fraction of one building within
the measurements indicated. Using those measurements, the
two northernmost houses then become the property of parcel
no. 273, Puente's own, for which he himself lists only one
structure. Once again the accuracy of the Puente map as
drawn is suspect, and in analysis is representational.

In relation to what the Foundation currently owns, this
building would be far from the current northern property
line. Our current boundary is 47 feet (or approx. 16 varas)
from the corner (see figure Ib), the 1764 property line is
94.3, beyond the limit of the entire, current Lot 2.

MONCRIEF 1765 shows two wooden structures abutting Charlotte
Street for this block. Using Moncrief's scale, the
southernmost building lies 12 yards, or 36 feet, from the
southwest corner of the block. SAAFI owns 47 feet, or 16-
2/3 yards, along Charlotte Street, placing the current
property line almost along the northern edge of the building
(see figure 2). Thus the entire, or almost the entire,
building would fall within the current property lines. The









Moncrief map has no accompanying key that states dimensions
for individual parcels.

ROCQUE 1788 indicates more than one structure associated with
parcel no. 193. Rocque was an engineer in the Spanish Army.
His map of building in the city in 1788 is considered to be
the most accurate and comprehensive. According to the key
to this map, no. 193 contains a "masonry house in fair
condition in the custody of Mr. Fish." The description, no
doubt refers to the larger of the structures which stands at
the southeast corner, where Marine Street and Bravo Lane
converge. Number 194, occupied by Luciano de Herrera,
shares its north wall. According to the map, a back
building falls partially within SAAFI's property boundaries
(see figure 3). This is probably the one described as
measuring 22.4' x 8.4', no construction material listed.
Rocque was an engineer in the Spanish Army.

PEDRO DIAZ BERRIO 1799 (see figure 4) shows little change from
that of Rocque.

ANONYMOUS circa 1830, made after American acquisition of East
Florida, shows no buildings for the southwest quadrant of
the block (see figure 5).

Susan R. Parker
HSAPB Historian
June 27, 1990









DOCUMENTARY REPORT FOR LOT 2, BLOCK 25


Juan Joseph Elixio de la Puente's 1764 map of St. Augustine
shows the "garage lot" to be the property of Juan Ruiz. Only one
contemporary resident appears with the name "Juan Ruiz." Juan
Bias Ruis de los Santos, a native of St. Augustine, married
another native, Francisca Alvarez, in 1754. They had three
children before the evacuation in 1763-1764. (HSAPB Bio cards)

Land agent Jesse Fish' account book has no entry for the
sale of Ruiz' house (Bundle 319, EFP--typescript at HSAPB).

There is some indication that Manuel Fernandez Lopez briefly
owned either this or an adjacent parcel. Fernandez Lopez, a meat
inspector, died in December 1784, shortly after Spain regained
ownership of the Floridas. On his lot stood a wooden house, a
dovecote, and another outbuildinggreatly deteriorated,
completely surrounded with a wooden fence. (EFP 301. Reel 134).
It is possible that he negotiated with Fish to purchase the
property when after the Spanish returned, but his death left the
matter unfinished, and the property reverted to Fish. Fernandez
Lopez' place in the history of the property is somewhat
unconnected, and would need to be pursued to see if there is any
further documentation to clarify his role.

On March 16, 1791, Miguel Yznardy paid 500 pesos to Jesse
Fish' estate for this parcel with "some houses being the same
ones where Don Luciano de Herrera used to live." It was bounded
on the east by present-day Marine Street, called during the first
Spanish period, San Jose; on the west was San Carlos, now called
Charlotte Street "in the Blessed Sacrament [confraternity] area."
To its north was a house and lot of Dr. Thomas Travers and on the
south a alley. The document states nothing more definitive than
"some houses (unas casas). (EFP 367 pg. 40)

Yznardy died in 1803 and his widow, Juana de la Torre,
maintained this parcel as her home. Her home was probably the
masonry house on the southeast corner, at the intersection of
present-day Bravo Lane and Marine Street. This parcel is
apparently House number 10 in Yznardy's estate. In addition to
the main house, the inventory for property #10 lists a 28' X 14'
kitchen and a back-house for washing. This may correspond with
the building on the Rocque and Berrio maps, the majority of which
falls on the property presently owned by SAAFI. The inventory
also lists an arbor and fences. (Estate of Miguel Yznardy, EFP
307, pg. 65 & passim)

On October 17, 1811, Yznardy's widow sold this lot with its
masonry (mamposteria) house to Fernando de la Maza Arredondo,
containing a total of 770 [square] varas. (EFP 378, pg. 136)
During the first week of October a "furious hurricane" struck St.
Augustine, damaging or destroying many of the houses in this
section of town. While the documents indicate that Juana's home









remained standing, it might well have suffered from the wind and
very high water. (Deed Book B&L, pg. 175; EFP 31E3)

In 1821 East Florida became an America territory, and many
of its Spanish residents eventually relocated to Cuba. In
October 1826, Arredondo's agent (Arredondo was himself in Cuba)
transferred the "house and lot," still containing 770 square
varas, that he had purchased from Yznardy's widow in order to
secure a debt to George Murray. Murray was residing in the house
at the time of the transfer, which carried a monetary
consideration of $2500. In 1831 Murray's estate sold the "house
and lot" at public auction to Andrew McDowall. The 1835 deed
from McDowall (of Charleston) to Lyman Walker states the sale of
a "lot." The fact that the 1835 deed refers only to a "lot" does
not necessarily mean that the main house no longer stood on the
property although it must be taken into consideration that the
sales price had plummeted to $1100. The inclusion of the word
"house" in the land transactions at this time is sporadic. (Deed
Books G, pg. 75; I-J, pg. 201; M, pg. 398)

The problem of analyzing the documentary information for the
time period for which the most information has survived arises
from the fact that this parcel encompassed the entire width of
the block from east to west. Without some contemporary drawings
or surveys of the individual lot itself, we can state from the
documentation only that certain buildings were appurtenances of
the entire parcel. The Rocque and Berrio maps indicate that the
main house, of masonry, was on the southeast corner, with the
dependencies on the westerly portion. At this time SAAFI owns
the area that probably contained the "support facilities" for the
household, but not the main house itself. Based on these two
maps, these outbuildings were not built at the streetline,
although a fence may well have abutted the street.

Susan R. Parker
HSAPB Historian
June 27, 1990




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs