The Ortega House shows on the 1764 map of Juan Joseph
Elexio de la Puente as number 101. On this map it indicates
that this house and another stone house with a kitchen on
Spanish Street was owned by Nicolas' de Ortega. The house
also appears on the English Moncrief map of 1764.
The house was originally built with only two rooms and a loft.
Later, in the English period, a kitchen and loggia to the
west was added. The Ortega House could have been built as
early as 1740.
The "ReJa" outside and the window seats inside the front
two rooms are typical of the first Spanish Period, or prior
to 1764. The fireplace was apparently installed during the