HISTORIC ST. AUGUSTINE PRESERVATION BOARD
January 15, 1975
TO: John D. Bailey
FROM: Robert H. Steinbach s
SUBJECT: Acosta Site (Block 13 Lot 5)
The house was built by Joseph G. Acosta sometime between 1790 and 1821.
Acosta married Margarita Villalonga sometime before 1794, the year when
the first of their nine children was born.
Margarita was the daughter of Juan Villalonga, who owned a large stone
house just to the south of the Acosta site. The house to the north of the
site (recently reconstructed) was built by Margarita's brother, Bartolome.
The Acosta house was architecturally quite similar to the Villalonga house
to the north, being two stories in height, with a loggia facing west, and a
balcony overhanging the street. Its overall dimensions are approximately
36' N-S x 30' E-W. This is 1080 sq. ft. per floor for a total of 2160 sq. ft..
The house was originally constructed of hewn coquina rock laid as random
rubble work and plastered inside and out. The ground floor was divided into
four rooms, each of which had a tabby floor. Other architectural features
include a 3' wide street door, an 8' wide exterior west door, and a fire-
place in the north wall.
The site has been partially excavated in order to determine the overall
dimensions of the house, however further research should be done in order
to furnish the data necessary for an accurate reconstruction.