The Ortega House shows on the 1764 map of Juan Joseph Slexio
de la Puente as number 101. On this map it indicates that
this house and another stone house with a kitchen on Spanish
Street was owned by Nicolas' de Ortega* The house also
appears on the English Moncrief map of 1764.
The house originally was built with only two rooms and a
loft. Later, in the British Period, the kitchen and loggia
to the west was added. In 1788 Don Diego Miranda lived in
the house. The Ortega house could have been built as early
as 1740. (!ore changes and additions by 1788.)
The Reja outside and the window seats inside the front two
rooms are typical of the first Spanish Period, or prior to
1764. The fireplace (is considered a British addition?)
was installed apparently during the English Period.