in fact evolvingmore essentially into two
houses due to major architectural changes such
as the closing of interior openings connecting
the apartments and the erection of a wooden
second story upon the north (Watkins) house.
With the presentation of this history, there
must be taken into account the loss by fire
in 1887 of pertinent records.7
The present memorandum is b6s~ed upon notes in
the files of the St Auguc +ic Historical
Program. Further researches, f iH icularly
in St Johns County Archivel, =. Spfu
1 Escrituras, pp 30V, 31V
2 Escrituras, p 332V
3 Escrituras, p 11V
4 St Johns County Archives, Deed Book 0, p 17A.
5 Clements map
6 St Johns County Archives, Deed Book' G pp 2S-9/
7 St Johns County Archives, File Case A-1
9 July 1890 Suit of Partition, P.L. ArnaiL
vs D.C. Arnau et al. While this document
4 describes the property as two unitS, examine.
tie~ of the party ial today showS evidence
of0 connecting oper)mns.
25 July 1960
Mr. Newton informed the staff that the
Watkins House should be known as the
Avero Sanchez House.
S3o0 i o
(see EWN's note in pencil copy files)
5^Jf ^u^-~ ^^&^ ^
The attacheddiagram summarizes the real estate history of the $4--a.
evolved, so far as it can be determined from available domw-am ts
Masonry structures designated as number 68 in 1764, au-e- 42 in 1788,
and number 104 in 1791 appear to be one and the same, tut not, ho.,v.,
the present Watkins house. Juan Sanchez, who in 1791 at public auction
purchased this property which at that time belonged to the Crown} built
a new wooden house before his death about 1803, and there is mention
of only a wooden house in subsequent legal transfers of the property
until 1820. At that time the property, which had b-en in the hands of
Pedro Fucha since 1813, was an undescribed house and a qa'cel of lartd
apparently comprising pre ent lots 12, 13, 19 and 20. By 1334 Fstea3n
Arnau owned he property, and while it is clear that th 1.2 b. 9c
to his heirs was substantially the present Watkins ard Dodg, houses.
with pertinent lots, it is not now apparent whether he o" -h p:,bious
owner Fucha. constructed the stone buildings. In any ev.it, L.c coAn-
struction was done between 1813 and 1852. The buildings erected
appear6 to have been designed as a single residence An 1852 par-
tition0 of the property seems to mark the date of division into
separate residences, for while the widow of Esteban Arnau continued
to occupy the southern (Dodge) and larger part where her husband had
(died, the north(Watkins) section passed to another heir, Ann Arnau
1 urlert.7 From that time forward the residences have remained apart,