Group Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 12 – Lot 20
Title: Synopsis of Avero House (Minorcan Chapel)
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00094128/00002
 Material Information
Title: Synopsis of Avero House (Minorcan Chapel)
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 12 – Lot 20
Physical Description: Research notes
Language: English
Creator: Scardaville, Michael C.
Publication Date: 1977
Copyright Date: Public Domain
Physical Location:
Box: 4
Divider: Block 12 Lot 20
Folder: Rodriguez-Avero-Sanchez (Toy Museum) Blk 12-Lot 20
 Subjects
Subject: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
52 Saint George Street (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Rodriguez-Avero-Sanchez House
Toy Museum
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine -- 52 Saint George Street
Coordinates: 29.896151 x -81.313211
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00094128
Volume ID: VID00002
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: B12-L20

Full Text






SYNOPSIS OF AVERO HOUSE (Minorcan Chapel)


1. 1712-63


1735-43

1763

1777-84


5. 1788



6. 1804


18-4-15

1946-52


lot and coquina house owned by the Averos, a prominent

criollo family

and 1753-63 the house was enlarged and remodeled.

the Averos evacuated St. Augustine.

Patrick Tonyn, the British Governor, gave the house

to the Minorcan priest, Father Pedro Camps, who in

November 1777 converted the ground floor into

"a private oratory for the Catholic Minorcans."

The only place of public worship in British St. Augustine prior

to the arrival of the Minorcans was the Anglican church, formerly the

La Soledad parish church. As a result, the Governor, in honoring

the freedom of religion clause in the 1763 treaty, granted the

Minorcans the use of the Avero building which was located in a

part of the town inhabited largely by Minorcans.

the house was listed as a masonry building with a two story section.

Its condition was reported as "bad."

the heirs of the Averos sold the lot as well as the walls of an

uninhabitable building.

the lot was resold with a rebuilt coquina house.

Walter Frazer acquired and remodeled the house.

presently owned by the National Greek Orthodox Church

No proof of ownership by the Salazar family despite the coat of

arms on the facade.


Michael C. Scardaville
December 1977




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs