Group Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 12 – Lot 19
Title: A Spanish Home
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00094126/00007
 Material Information
Title: A Spanish Home
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 12 – Lot 19
Physical Description: Historical marker text
Language: English
Publication Date: 1959
Copyright Date: Public Domain
Physical Location:
Box: 4
Divider: Block 12 Lot 19
Folder: Parades B12-L19
 Subjects
Subject: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
54 Saint George Street (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Parades-Dodge House
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine -- 54 Saint George Street
Coordinates: 29.896092 x -81.313202
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00094126
Volume ID: VID00007
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: B12-L19

Full Text






A SPANISH HOME


The house at 54. St. George street was known for many
years as "Dodge's Old Curiosity Shop", Records show that it
was built about 1303 by Juan Parades, but its venerable appear-
ance, thick coquine walls and huge fireplace make it appear
more ancient than others of an earlier date.

This house and the one next north are joined in such a
manner as to indicate that the two formed a single residence at
one time One chimney serves the two f*ieplaces, and a coquina-
walled wjll is located in'the patio on what -is now the, dividing
line between the two properties,

'Mubh of the property left by the English, when they
evacuated St, Augustine in 178o4, reverted to the Spanish Crown,
and was sold at public auction by the Spanish officials. Don
Juan Sanchez purchased this property at such an auction in 1791,
and in 1803, hi.s widow, Dona Maria Castenada Sanchez, sold it
to Juan Parades,

In 1820 the house was acquired by the Arnau family, promin-
ent in civic affairs during the 1800's, In 1900 ownership was
transferred to James P. Dodge, a watchmaker and jeweler, who
conducted a curio shop in tae building for many years

'Many small details are of interest to the'student of
architecture 'r here is no indication of a balcony ha ing been
on this house, as is customary on so many of the old houses in
St. Augustine. Built flush with the street in tie Spanish manner,
its low-ceilinged rooms, tapia floors and massive coquina walls
remain an excellent example of an early nineteenth century
Spanish home

Since the St. Augustine Historical Society purchased the
property in lO3q, muchrestoration work has been done to preserve
.the building It is currently occupied as a fift and souvenir
shop


February, 1959.




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs