Group Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 10 – Lot 3
Title: Data for Cathedral Marker
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00094118/00008
 Material Information
Title: Data for Cathedral Marker
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 10 – Lot 3
Physical Description: Historical marker text
Language: English
Copyright Date: Public Domain
Physical Location:
Box: 4
Divider: B10-L3 Cathedral
Folder: Cathedral B10-L3
 Subjects
Subject: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
35 Treasury Street (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Cathedral Basilica of Saint Augustine
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine -- 35 Treasury Street
Coordinates: 29.892891 x -81.312435
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00094118
Volume ID: VID00008
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: B10-L3

Full Text








Data for Cathedral Marker


Cornerstone laid in 1793.

Completed in August, 1797.

Masonry used was coquina.

Materials came from two old buildings, the ruins of the Chapel of Nuestra
Seifora de la Leche and another building, possibly the ruins of Tolomato
Church, possibly those of the old parish church. Other stone used was
quarried on Anastasia Island.

The contractor was Miguel Iznardy. Architects Mariano de Ia Rocque.

The first root was slate, which was soon replaced by wooden shingles.

The parish church became a cathedral in 1870.

On April 12, 1887, fire severely damaged the Cathedral, destroying its
roof and damaging its walls. The walls and facade were, however, left
standing.

Restoration began almost immediately.

The original walls were preserved, but the length of the building was
increased by 12 feet and a transept added. The campanile was also
built at this time.

Except for the chancel and roof, the portion south of the transepts includes
virtually all of the original edifice. Its appearance has remained essentially
unchanged.


Sources Albert C. Manucy, "The Cathedral of St. Augustine"
National Park Servicer Castillo de San Marcos National
Monument, 1946), passim.












Data for Cathedral Marker


Cornerstone laid in 1793.

Completed in August, 1797.

Masonry used was coquina.

Materials came from two old buildings, the ruins of the Chapel of Nuestra
SeTora de la Leche and another building, possibly the ruins of Totomato
Church, possibly those of the old parish church. Other stone used was
quarried on Anastasia Island.

The contractor was Miguel Isnardy. Architect: Mariano de la Rocque.

The first roof was slate, which was soon replaced by wooden shingles.

The parish church became a cathedral in 1870.

On April 12, 1887, fire severely damaged the Cathedral, destroying its
roof and damaging its walls. The walls and facade were, however, left
standing.

Restoration began almost immediately.

The original walls were preserved, but the length of the building was
increased by 12 feet and a transept added. The campanile was also
built at this time.

Except for the chancel and roof, the portion south of the transepts includes
virtually all of the original edifice. Its appearance has remained essentially
unchanged.


Source: Albert C. Manucy, "The Cathedral of St. Augustine"
National Park Service: Castillo de San Marcos National
Monument, 1946), passim.











Sample Marker Text


Cathedral of Saint Augustine


Built to serve the oldest Catholic parish in what is now the

United States, this coquina edifice was begun in 1793 and finished in

1797. It became a cathedral in 1870, Augustine Verot serving as the

first bishop. In 1887 fire severely damaged it, but the facade and

walls remained standing and were preserved when the building was

restored in 1887-88. The chancel, transept, and campanile were

added at that time. Further restoration was performed in 1965.











Sample Marker Text


Cathedral of Saint Augustine


Built to serve the oldest Catholic parish in what is now the

United States, this coquina edifice was begun in 1793 and finished in

1797. It became a cathedral in 1870, Augustin# Verot serving as the

first bishop. In 1887 fire severely damaged it, but the facade and

walls remained standing and were preserved when the building was

restored in 1887-88. The chancel, transept, and campanile were

added at that time. Further restoration was performed in 1965.










Sample Marker Text


Cathedral of Saint Augustine


Built to serve the oldest Catholic parish in what is now the

United States, this coquina edifice was begun in 1793 and finished in

1797. It became a cathedral in 1870, Augustin# Verot serving as the

first bishop. In 1887 fire severely damaged it, but the facade and

walls remained standing and were preserved when the building was

restored in 1887-88. The chancel, transept, and campanile were

added at that time. Further restoration was performed in 1965.




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs