PROGRESS OF RESEARCH ON BLOCK 10, LOT I, ST. AUGUSTINE
1791 Don Carlos Howard buys at Quesada sale
1791 Don Domingo Rodiquez de Leon buys house from Howard
1791 Francisco Xavier Sanchez buys from de Leon
1807 Maria del Carmen Sanchez, wife of Francisco Xavier Sanchez,
nherits the house from Francisco Xavier Sanchez
1813 Maria del Carmen Sanchez Dewees, her husband, Felipe Dewees
and Maria del Carmen Sanchez& s son, Jose Simeon Sanchez.
inherit the house from Maria del Carmen Sanchez
1821 Maria del Carmen Sanchez Dewees and Felipe Dewees and Jose
Simeon Sanchez sell the house to Jose Mariano Henandez
1833 James Heilbron and wife Harriet sell to Daniel L. Griswold
1837 Daniel L. Griswold and wife gary sell to Seth S. Peck. M.D.
1841 Sarah Lay Peck inherits house at death of Dr. Seth Peck,
1879 Mary L Peck and Rebecca Peck inherit house from Sarah Lay
Peck, their mother
1910 Mary L. Peck inherits whole interest in house at Rebecca's
1912 Anna G. Burt inherits house from Mary L. Peck, her aunt
1931 City of St. Augustine bequeathed house by Anna G. Burt
Breaks in Documentations
There is considerable confusion in the dating and substan-
tiation of the British period from 1763 1783 as the information
was gained following 1783 and had to do with disputed titles in
British courts and with asi secret trust agreements.
Then there is a clear break from Hernandez*s ownership in
1821 to that of Heilbron in 1833. Beyond this there is a question
as to the encumberances in the transfers from Heilbron to Griswold
to Peck in the years 1833 to 1837,
Further, the will of Seth Peck is indecipherable and its
disposition of the house is largely inferred from later ownership
of the house by his wife and her heirs.
The record is clear from 1791 at the Quesada sale through
1821 with the purchase of Hernandez. And it is clear from Sarah
Lay Peck in 1879 to its bequest to the city in 1931.
The ownership of the house after the death of Sarah Lay Peck
is as follows Dr. Seth Peck passed the house on to his wife Mrs.
Sarah Lay Peck*. Mrs. Peck kept the house and then passed it on
to her daughters Mary L. Peck and Rebecca Peck. They in turn
passed it on to Anna G. Burt who willed the property to the city
under the condition that it be maintained as an antebellum house
and that if razed or otherwise destroyed the property be turned
over to the Florida National Bank of Jacksonville, her trustee.
Some confusion exists as to the course of ownership follow-
ing Dr. Peck's death, The will of Mrs. Sarah Lay Peck was not
entered into the public records until 1912, 33 years after her
death. As her will left all personal property, other than minor
bequests to her son and grandchildren, to her daughters Mary L.
and Rebecca Peck, no public statement was made and the two daugh-
ters quietly became tacit owners of the property.
However, on the death of Mary L. Peck, the surviving daugh-
ter of Sarah Lay Peck, the property was to pass to the granddaugh-
ter of Sarah Lay Peck, Anna G. Burt. And in order for the property
to pass, Anna had to probate the will of her grandmother, her
aunt and her uncle (Dr. John E. Peck). Thus in 1912 she does
probate the wills of Sarah Lay Peck, Mary L. Peck, and John E.
Peck and thus, as closest surviving heir, becomes the owner of
all the non-assigned property descendent from Sarah Lay Peck to
Mary L, Peck, the last of the St. Augustine Peeks to die.
* This assumption as to the passage from Seth to Sarah is based
on Sarah's having it after Seth's death and John's not having it.
The fact of the matter should come out on examination of Seth's
Too, taxes paid as part of expenses in final settlement in pro..
bate of Sarah's will show her to be owner.
Further, the following quote from Seth's will shows the house
to have passed from him to his wife, ie., "...residual of my real
and personal estate including lot and dwelling in which we live,
furniture and all other estate no already bequeathed, and debts
from brother John Peck as per annex schedule."
There is, in addition to general documemtation,the accumulation
of clippings now on file at the Historical Society library. It is
of interest, although it is not particularly accurate.
Items from newspaper articles--
House rebuilt 1690-95 of stone to replace earlier wooden struc-
Partially destroyed during Governor Moore (of S. C.) attack on
the city in 1702. Wooden sections added after that date.
1803--house listed in King's name and made of coquina. Sold in
1804 to Francisco Xavier Sanchez.
House remodeled in 1832 (including tearing out of the east wing)
following the purchase by Dr. Seth Peck of Old Lyme, Conn, Wide
boards for floors and doors were shipped from New England (1835-42
Seminole War made it impossible to obtain building materials in this
vicinity.) Furnished with many colonial antiques including some that
were part of Mrs. Sarah Peck's dowry. Dr. Peck used downstairs south
room as a doctor's office and the northwest room for his apothecary
Miss Anna G. Burt, granddaughter of the Seth Pecks, occupied the
house following the death of her aunts--Missss Mary and Rebecca Peck.
She willed the house to the City of St. Augustine. Miss Burt died
in the same room as she was born in and is buried in the family plot.
(She tried not to publicize the long background-of the house, Would
not let anyone dig in the garden without her presence because she was
afraid that someone would uncover buried treasure.)
From newspaper articles in the Historical Society folder on The
Spanish Treasurer's House.
St, AWuustine Record Feb. 19, 1939
Feb. 11, 1962
Mar. 12, 1961
June 27, 1968
Miami Herald June 8, 1958
Article on background prior to 1690 not included-"*jSt, Augustine Record,
April 9, 1942.
pictures checked in St. Augustine Historical Society
Burt House-good interior made in 1930's
Cathedral (before 1887 fire)-rear of church with Burt House in
foreground. (no negative number) Roof low pitched
St. George Street South of Treasury Street- negative number 2292*
and number G59*
*"n and about St. Augustine Florida", March 1886. Information about
the same as in the photo file.
* These may be the photos that proved later to be immediately to the
south of The Burt House on St. George Street. If so they are not of the