Group Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 10 – Lot 1
Title: [Research notes on Dr. Peck house]
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00094115/00113
 Material Information
Title: Research notes on Dr. Peck house
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 10 – Lot 1
Physical Description: Research notes
Language: English
Publication Date: 1968
Copyright Date: Public Domain
Physical Location:
Box: 4
Divider: B10 L1 - Dr. Peck History
Folder: Local Projects - Spanish Treasury
 Subjects
Subject: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
143 Saint George Street (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Dr. Peck House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Peña-Peck House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine -- 143 Saint George Street
Coordinates: 29.893507 x -81.312774
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00094115
Volume ID: VID00113
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: B10-L1

Full Text





October 11, 1968


March 12, 1821 Maria del Carmen Sanchez Dewees, Felipe
Dewees, and Jose Simeon Sanchez 8-- sell
house to Jose Mariano Hernandez

February 5, 1833 James Heilbron to Daniel Griswold -
indenture for $110-
May 28, 1837 Daniel Griswold to Seth S. Peck *-
subject to mortgage held by James
Heilbron

June 29, 1837 James Heilbron to Seth S. Peck -
completion of mortgage

Jose Mariano Hennandez acquires the house from Philip
Dewees, his wife Maria del Carmen Sanchez, and her son Jose Simeon
Sanchez -- March 12, 1821.
"a house of our property that at the present time consists
of,some walls of stone covered with shingles and very deteriorated."
"we sell the said house and lot with its entrances, etc., free of
all incumbrances, etc., for the amount ofe 1600 pesos." (see East
Florida Papers, Escrituras, 1821.)
The Hernandez claim to house and lot was not recognized
by the United States government when they took over the East
Florida territory. (sees Spanish Land G ts i F ida. volume I
unconfirmed claims, p. 167.) is nt clear though why this .claim
was rejected because, in the description, it goes on to say "title
derived fron a bill of sale, 3/12/1821, to Joseph M. Hernandez from
Philip Dewees -- on file in the archives kept by William Reynolds,
(see, American State Papers, volume VI The F~blic Lands, p. 113)
No specific record can be found of who dns the house
or what happens to it in the next ftw years. It is not shown
whether the Hernandez claim was accepted later by the United States
or the house and lot were sold. In 1828 "a lot of General Joseph
M. Hernandez" is used as the west boundary in a transfer of property
from John M. Sanchez to John T. Hedrick. (Deed Book "W" p. 160)
In 1825 Joseph Hernandez formed a partnership with Mathew
J. Keith for the management of a sugar plantation at the head of
the Matanzas River called St. Joseph's. This partnership was
dissolved May 12, 1831, and Keith took a mortgage on the place from
Hernandez and his wife. Shortly thereafter, Keith sold hisTinterest
to Daniel S. Griswold. Hernandez owed money to numerous persons in
connection with the operation of the plantation --among them Daniel
Griswold. Some action in connection with this debt could possibly
explain the transfer of ownership of the house fron Hernandez to
Griswold but a thorough searching of newspapers, deed books and
court cases has not uncovered the actual transaction. (Note added
by liiss Emily L. Wilson in her Notes from Deed Books folder in the
St. Augustine Historical Societys "This must have been included in
one of the transferszof Hernandez of all of his properties.")




S t

Later, in 1835, Hernandez took a loan of $38,000 from the Union
Bank of Florida to pay off his creditors ** but by this time the
house was in someone else's name. (For a more complete recording
of these transactinscis -- sees St. Johns County Deed Books or a
summation in Florida Historical Quarterly, 1956 57, volume 35,
pp. 313-314. "The Early Sugar Industry in Florida* by Wilbur
Slevert,)
The next recorded action concerning the house is an
indenture from James Heilbron of South Carolina to Daniel S.
Griswold of East Florida in consideration of the sum of $1100.
The indenture isdated February 5, 1833, but is not recorded
until November 20, 1837 at the request of Seth Peck. (sees Deed
Book "N" p. 2) On March 5, 1833, a mortgage is recorded *- Da-Aiel
Griswold to James Heilbron for $1100 on this house *- due March
5, 1838. Marginal note records this as paid May 22, 1838. (see,
Deed Book "K" p. 170)
Daniel Griswold sells "& certain lot of land with
dilapidated building theron" to Seth S. Peck, M.D., on May 28,1837,
for $350,00 -- subject to mortgage held by James Heilbron. (sees
Deed Book "M" p. 441) Dr. Peck becomes full owner of the property
June 29, 1837, upon his payment of $918 to James Heilbron to
complete the mortgage held. (sees Deed Book "N" p. 156)




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs