Group Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 10 – Lot 1
Title: [Memo to Robert H. Steinbach re: Statement that Pena lived in Peck House]
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00094115/00068
 Material Information
Title: Memo to Robert H. Steinbach re: Statement that Pena lived in Peck House
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 10 – Lot 1
Physical Description: Correspondence
Language: English
Creator: Harman, Joyce E.
Publication Date: 1972
Copyright Date: Public Domain
Physical Location:
Box: 4
Divider: B10 L1 - Dr. Peck History
Folder: Block 10 Charlotte St.
 Subjects
Subject: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
143 Saint George Street (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Dr. Peck House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Peña-Peck House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine -- 143 Saint George Street
Coordinates: 29.893507 x -81.312774
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00094115
Volume ID: VID00068
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: B10-L1

Full Text

4 /


A State of Florida

department of ftate
Division of Cultural Affairs

HISTORIC Historic St. Augustine
ST. Preservation Board
AUGUSTINE 46 St. George Street
Box 1987
MEMO St. Augustine, Florida 32084

July 28, 1972

TO: Robert H. Steinbach, Director of Research and Interpretation

FROM: Joyce E. Harman, Historian

RE: Statement that Pena lived in Peck House.



The statement that Juan Esteban de Peha lived in the Peck House is based on the following
facts and sources. The evidence indicates that Pena lived and/or worked in the house--
although I found no specific statement that he lived there.

1. Pe'a owned the property at the end of the First Spanish Period--although it was not
the only house he owned. He had the following houses:

Puente # 193 (the Peck House) a stone house

Puente # 198 stone houses

Puente # 20 frame house and garden (outside the fortification walls)


SOURCE: Puente, Juan Joseph Elixio de la

176h Key to Map of San Agustin de Florida. Saint
Augustine, Florida, January 22. Copy and transla-
tion at Saint Augustine Historical Society.


2. Peia was the Royal Treasurer at Saint Augustine from January 1, 1742, up
until the time the Spanish left f'lorida at the end of the First Spanish
Period.


SOURCE: Archivo "acional de Cuba

1707 List of Royal Officials of the Treasury and Storehouse,
Saint Augustine. Intendencia, Libro 1 de Alanzes y
Diligencias desde 1707 hasta 1787. Transcript by
Devon C. Corbitt and translation by Edward W. Lawson
at Saint Augustine Historical Society.




-2-


3. The house is referred to in numerous documents as the "Old Treasury," "same Lot and
House formerly used as a Spanish Treasury," "a large house commonly called The
Spanish Treasury," "Treasury House," "commonly known by the name of the Spanish
Treasury" etc.


SOURCES: (The sources are given in the order of the above quotes.)

Quesada, Juan Nepomuceno de

1790 Inventories, Assessments, and Sale at Public
Auction of the Houses and Lots of the King, 1790.
Field Note Division, Department of Agriculture,
"Memorials, Concessions, etc.," bundle 36h.
Tallahassee. Copy at Saint Augustine Historical
Society.


Heilbron, James and Wife

1833 Deed, James Heilbron and Wife to Daniel S.
Griswold, February 5, 1833. Courthouse
Records, Saint Johns County, Florida, Deed
Book "N" p. 2. Saint Augustine.

1837 Deed, James Heilbron and Wife to Seth S. Peck,
I. D., Saint Augustine, June 9, 1837. Court-
house Records, Saint Johns County, Florida,
Deed Book "N"' pp. 156-57. Saint Augustine.


Griswold, Daniel S. and Wife

1833 Deed, Daniel S. Griswold and Mary to James
Heilbron, March 5, 1833. Courthouse Records,
Saint Johns County, Florida, Deed Book "M"
p. 170. Saint Augustine.


1837 Deed, Daniel S. Griswold and Wife to beth S.
Peck, M. D., Saint Augustine, May 28, 1837.
Courthouse Records, Saint Johns County, Florida,
Deed Book "M"' pp. 41-42!. Saint Augustine.


Forbes, Thomas (The last three quotes are all from Forbes).

1786a Statement of Thomas Forbes, New Providence,
Bahama Islands, January 21. East Florida Papers,
Library of Congress, Records of Civil Proceedings,
1785-1821, Reel 11, bundle 329, doc. 34.
Washington, D.C. Microfilm copy at P. K. Yonge
Library of Florida history, University of Florida,
Gainesville.





-3-


1786b Another Statement of Thomas Forbes, New Providence,
Bahama Islands, January 21. East Florida Papers,
Library of Congress, Records of Civil Proceedings,
1785 1821, Reel 151, bundle 329, doc. 34.
Washington, D. C. Microfilm copy at P. K. Yonge
Library of Florida History, University of Florida,
Gainesville.


h. The 1702 fire destroyed the new and not-yet-completed wooden Treasurer's House
and a new Treasury apparently was not built until the Second Spanish Period
(1783-1821).


SOURCE:

Manucy, Albert

1962 The Houses of Saint Augustine, 1565-1821.
Saint Augustine Historical Society, Saint
Augustine.


5. In April, 1746, Pera and the Royal Accountant, ivanuel Mozo, complained to
the Crown about conditions in 0aint Augustine--especially about the hardships
they suffered due to their lack of a Royal House (common for officials of
their class). Since they had no place provided to work or live they had to
rent at an excessive cost and live out of the way. Therefore, they wanted an
increase in their salaries.

The Governor supported their request--reminding the Crown that after the English
burned the loyal House where the Governor lived and where the Treasurer and
Accountant had their office, the Accountancy and Treasury had moved to the
Castillo which the Governor felt was a good place for security reasons.


SOURCE:

Montiano, Manuel de

1746 Letter to the Crown, Saint Augustine, April 30.
Stetson Collection, P. K. Yonge libraryy of
Florida History, University of Florida, AGI
87-3-12/77. Gainesville.
Copy at Saint Augustine Historical Society.


Thus, it appears that after Juan Esteban de Pena purchased the Peck House, he conducted
at least part of his official duties there. consequently the property was known as
the "Old Treasury" etc. It was a "large house" and it is probable that he also
lived there too since there was no ioyal House for him at the time.





The Peck House is on the corner of Saint George Street and Treasury Street. Treasury
Street was called Treasurer's Lane at one time.
Harris, J. Carver (Editor)
'965 The Streets of Saint Augustine. El Escribano. Vol. 2, ho. 3, pp. 5-6.
S IN-T A-u -T i Ne-.._____




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs