Group Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 10 – Lot 1
Title: [Brochure for the Old Spanish Treasury]
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00094115/00032
 Material Information
Title: Brochure for the Old Spanish Treasury
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 10 – Lot 1
Physical Description: Brochure/pamphlet
Language: English
Copyright Date: Public Domain
Physical Location:
Box: 4
Divider: B10 L1 - Dr. Peck History
Folder: Clippings
 Subjects
Subject: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
143 Saint George Street (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Dr. Peck House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Peña-Peck House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine -- 143 Saint George Street
Coordinates: 29.893507 x -81.312774
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00094115
Volume ID: VID00032
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: B10-L1

Full Text



VISIT THE


Old Spanish Treasury
ANTE BELLUM HOME
QUAINT GARDEN
CORNER TREASURY & ST. GEORGE STREETS
ST. AUWGUSTINE, FLORIDA


GIFTS


MANAGED BY

Woman's Exchange

TEA SERVED


_ I ~ L L_ L ~L_ ___


_ __ __ __




The Old Spanish Treasury is located at
the corner of Historical St. George Street and
Treasury, the narrowest Street in the United
States.
Park your car around the Plaza. You
can see the three flags on the Balcony. Just
a minutes walk from the Post Office, North
on St. George.
Bring your camera as here you will find
a beautiful Spanish Patio, ancient coquina
well and lovely garden to challenge your
photographic technique.
Here are some of the unusual things you
will find in this interesting show place:
-GARDEN-
Beautiful old Anamonis dicrana (Eugenia)
or Frankincense tree, said to be 300 years
old.
Sago Palms from 100 to 300 years old.
Old fig trees and crepe myrtles, also very
old.
Ancient date palms over 100 years old.
A fine background for tropical and ancient
charm is the old stone fence that borders the
garden on east and north.
STRONG ROOM
Here valuables were kept as far back as
1690. An old iron treasure chest, 300 years
old, and a valuable collection of old Spanish
coins may be seen here. To see this is to be
transported to another world, another day
and time.
SOUTH ROOM DOWNSTAIRS
This was used as a doctor's office from
1832 to 1887. Old hand-planed board floors,
and hand-made glass in the cases are notable,
also the pre-Civil War arm chairs.




FAMILY DINING ROOM
Good furnishings of the Empire period are
to be seen here, also a handsome set of fancy
Sheraton chairs. Fine old family silver and
other heirlooms may be noted. The old
bronze girandoles on the mantel are worth
seeing.
STAIR RAIL AND BANNISTER
These are made of Santo Domingo mahog-
any logs washed up from a wreck on a local
beach, a sailing vessel having foundered off
the coast during a severe storm many years
ago.
UPPER HALL
Note the very fine Chippendale table,
Sheraton chest, and Colonial sewing table.
DRAWING ROOM
See the original Ribera of St. Francis
bought in Spain in 1857 by Dr. John Peck,
and hung in the loan collection of the Metro-
politan Museum, New York, for a time. Dr.
Peck was an attache to the Legation in
Madrid.
Pair of valuable Chippendale chairs by
piano; small straight arm chair, Sheraton, a
museum piece.
Picture over desk is a copy of a Murillo and
has bullet hole through hand, done Armistice
Day, in 1918, when men riding down St.
George Street on horseback, shooting guns in
the air, a bullet came through the wall.
The furniture in this room, as well as the
rest of the house, was all collected by the
Peck family, and nothing borrowed.
EAST BED ROOM
This room, opposite the drawing room, is
exceptionally interesting.




Most of the furnishings are museum pieces.
The Chippendale high boy dates back to
about 1780. There is a very fine hand-carved
Empire bed; also Goddard block front low
boy, and Hepplewhite Pembroke table.
SOUTH ROOM
Typical Spanish balcony, and room fitted
up as an old-fashioned dining room, using
china and silver belonging in house.
NORTHWEST ROOM
Miss Burt's bedroom, has a fine old post
bed and some fine early Empire pieces; also
a rare old Chippendale slipper chair.
NORTH ROOM
North room with bay window, has old cos-
tumes, a show case of old passports, and
papers; also Dr. Peck's books, and medicine
cases.
HISTORY OF THE HOUSE
The Old Spanish Treasury was built by the
King of Spain between 1690-1695, the upper
part of wood being destroyed in 1702.
This property was bought by Dr. Seth Peck
of Old Lyme, Conn., about 1832. The east
wing of the building was torn out, and the
rest of the building remodeled for a home,
the Pecks having to charter a sailing vessel
to bring lumber from New England. Be-
cause of the Indian warfare at that time, it
was difficult to secure lumber locally.
The Old Spanish Treasury was left by Miss
Anna G. Burt, granddaughter of old Dr. Peck,
to the City of St. Augustine, in 1931 to be
preserved as a showplace where the dignity
and beauty of life in another period might be
demonstrated through the showing of the
garden, house, and furnishings.






ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA
PRINTS FROM ORIGINAL PEN SKETCHES
By George F. Castleden
All rights reserved
Old records show that the original Spanish Treasury was built of wood
around 1600. In 1690 thick coquina walls took the place of the wood.
In 1702, after the burning of the town by Governor Moore of Carolina, a
second story of timber was built on top of the coquina walls.
Dr. Seth Peck of Old Lyme, Conn., bought this property about 1832.
The doctor's dispensary became the first drug store in the little town.
Miss Anna G. Burt, a granddaughter, deeded the property to the city
in 1931 with the provision that this ante-bellum house, handsomely
appointed with choice antique furniture, works of art, and valuable
relics, be so kept.
Of particular historical interest is the original strong room in this
house. Here the King's money was stored during the Spanish occupation.
This Old Spanish Treasury is now in charge of the Woman's Exchange.
A spacious garden adjoins the house. Among the many trees and
plants growing here is the rare, sweet spice tree shown, the Frank-
incense.




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs