ST. AUGUSTINE HISTORICAL RESTORATION AND PRESERVATION COMMISSION
P. O. Box 484 46 St. George St.
ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA
57,&AC I Poise
1. 1764 Puente Map;
#148 Casa de piedra y ripio de los herederos de Dn. Manuel
Garcia de Fuentes
2. 1764, June hth to July 23rd.
Sold to Jesse Fish
263. The house of the heirs of Don Manuel Garcia
3. Mr. Fish account book says:
28 x 64 V.
Heirs of Dn. Manuel Garcia
1768 For the deed, measuring
Sept. 8 part of his lot sold 1 p. h xx
1764 For the deed of part
of his lot sold to
Jacob Kip 1 p. 4 xxo
1768 For part of his
lot sold to Spencer
1764 For stone sold
For part of his
lot sold to Jacob
For stone of some
walls sold at
Note: In accordance with Mr. Fish's account book the house was
destroyed, its stone sold, the lot divided and the parts sold to
two different persons, Mr. Jacob Kip and r r. Spencer Man.
On Rocque Map's time, the house was gone.
p. 106 In accordance with Escrituras, on Feb. 6, 1793, it
belonged to Jose de Landa.
i1 p 2 ::
113 p, "17/2
-Sir Page two
6. 1794 East Florida Papers
Webb Memorial Library
4 407 v. Sale Manuel Fernmndez Bendicho, for Jose de Lands, of Havana,
(from whom he has power of attorney to prosecute claim to houses sold
by the Government to B. Segui, de Landa's claim allowed) sells to
Francisco Xavier Sinchez these same houses walls alone remain (of
stone) lot 452 cubic yards; bounded north by cross street leading to
She Marina, south by house and lot of the King, east by Jose Ponce,
,west by Royal Roads (included are three letters from London dated
April 1, 1792).
p. 268. Sale. March 10, Francisco Sanchez and wife, Maria Antonia
Hill, to Jose Sanchez, wooden house on St. George Street which is west
boundary, east by Dimas Ponce, Diego Carreras on south; house built
by the sellers; lot inherited by the wife from her father F. X.
Sanchez in 1809. North-south 26 varas, east-west 32 varas.
8. 1829 St. John County Court Records, Deed Book "H", pp. 234-235.
Sale of estate advertised in East Florida Herald, March 18, 1828,
John M. Hanson, surviving executor of urs. Mary A. Sinchez, to
Augustus Poujard, and trustee for his wife Maria M., for .380.00
house and lot on St. George St. bounded 'N. by Francis Gin, E. by
Dimas Ponce, S. by Diego Cameras, W. by St. George St. Houses and
,'outhouses, hereditaments and appurtenances. Joseph M. SAnches,
deceased executor of Mary A. Sanchc, deceased, witnesses Paul S.
Sanchez, John Ker. Signed--John Hanson
9. 1834 Clements survey shows:
Original claimant: Francisco Sanchez
Present claimant: Augustus Poujard
Evidently the original stone house was destroyed as later maps show
this location as part of the King's lot and stables.
In the 1816 description, "wooden" house ':must have been an error as
diligent search failed to give any information on house being rebuilt
after the 1816 transfer. This house was the home of the father of
Miss Anna Burt who owned the old Spanish Treasury building and Miss
Burt's early.life was spent there. Although no definite date of
construction is established, it appears it was built between 1809
d 1816 of coquina. ((usqi- f-s "--T)
S pey- Page three
10. 1850 St. Johns County Court Records, Deed Book "P", p. 241.
Oct. 17, John Gui to Caroline M. Wo'olf House and lot bounded W. by
St. George St., E. by Dimas Ponce, ; i by Archibald Cole, same as
conveyed to John Gui Nov. 18l4 b J Luis Pettigra of Charleston,
and Jane his wife, being the same --.rises that John M. Hanson as
executor of Nary Sanchez, April 1829, conveyed to Augustus Poujard.
11. 1852 St. Johns County Records, Deed Book "T", p. 34.
Oct. 26. Henry P. Woolf and Caroline M, Woolf, of Baltimore, to George
Burt. All that house and lot on S,;. Gaorge St., bounded on N. by lot
now or formerly of the estate of Francis Gui, deceased, east by lot
of Dimas Ponce, south by Archibald Cole, west by St. George St. 26 yds.
north-south, 32 1/2 yds. east-west, conveyed to Woolf by deed from John
Gui, Oct. 17, 1850, with buildings ard improverents, deeded in trust
for term of her natural life to Lucy R. Durt.
12. 1937 St. Augustine Record, 4 July, 1937.
George Burt's house stands out as r-ic.
Saved from demolition as other stru,.ares were lost.
At No. 105 St. George St. is an old coquina house, the only one
that was saved when the ruthless boom took possession of St. George
St. from Treasury to Cuna and the old historic houses were torn down
to make way for the type of building now occupying their sites.
This house, which instantly attracts attention, was only kept from
destruction through determination of A. L. Slater and Miss Anna G.
Burt's cooperation. Although hiss Burt's name is attached to the
Old Spanish Treasury, where she spent much of her life and her
declining years, Miss Burt's father cwncd No. 105 St. George St.,
and her girlhood was passed there. Her interest in old hores was
keen and when Mr. Slater wanted to take No. 105 St. George St. and
preserve it from following the w;; all the other old buildings along
there had gone, Miss Burt came to his aid. Although this house is
all coquina, and has never even had the stone floors overlaid with
plank floors, Mr. Slater considered the ancient shingles of the roof
a fire hazard. Moss a foot long, he states, grew along the edges.
Such growths as that may have given rit- to the statement of one
old author who said plants grew on St. Augustine roofs.
A fireproof roof was next put on the old house, Only an apparent
miracle saved it when the Magnolia Hotel burned. With a tall wood
building over-shadowing it at the north, Mr. Slater still felt the
old house needed more protection. Again lss burt agreed and the
result was the high brick vcll that marks the property line on the
north, and is to all intents and purposes a firewall for the old
hJni ..esF4,epsey Page fIour
Miss Burt's father, George Burt, mad-o ;~miny investments in St.
Augustine and was a leading shopk;.'. 'n the 18hO's. In one
issue of the Florida Herald and Democrat his advertisements fill
several columns in 18M7.
This house, with its old rooms, makes attractive studio and gift