<%BANNER%>

DLOC



dLOC Executive Board: Meeting Agenda and Minutes ( 2 June 2011)
ALL VOLUMES CITATION THUMBNAILS DOWNLOADS PDF VIEWER PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00093611/00012
 Material Information
Title: dLOC Executive Board: Meeting Agenda and Minutes ( 2 June 2011)
Physical Description: Serial
Language: English
Creator: Digital Library of the Caribbean (dLOC)
Publisher: Digital Library of the Caribbean (dLOC)
Place of Publication: Miami, Florida
Creation Date: May 2006
 Subjects
Genre: serial   ( sobekcm )
 Record Information
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
System ID: UF00093611:00012

Downloads

This item has the following downloads:

( PDF )

( DOC )


Full Text





dLOC Executive Committee Meeting
ACURIL XXXVI, Aruba
May 30, 2006, 5:00pm-6:30pm

Present: Barry Baker (UCF), Abul Bashirullah (Venezuela), Jean Wilfrid Bertrand (Haiti),
Winsome Hudson (Jamaica), Erich Kesse (UF), Catherine Marsicek (FIU), Maureen Newton
(CARICOM), Judith Rogers (UVI), Mark Sullivan (UF), Carla Summers (UCF).

1. Welcome and Introduction (JR)

General welcome, followed by discussion of nutmeg as dLOC symbol.
Plea to Executive Committee members: Executive Committee runs dLOC and Project Directors
need to obtain feedback from members on the Executive Committee. Please provide feedback
when requested.

2. dLOC Year One Progress and Changes (CM)

a. Distributed list of Executive Committee members with contact information; notify CM of any
changes/updates.
b. Distributed the TICFIA continuation report (mid-year report to the grant agency) and followed
with an overview of the report. dLOC project has made substantial progress in the first seven
months of the grant period, including:
- Development of formal governance structure: dLOC By-Laws in final draft form; dLOC
Scholarly Advisory Board is convening its inaugural meeting tomorrow at CSA; and dLOC
Project Coordinator applications are being reviewed and this person will be in place by Oct.
1st.
- Capacity building in the region: 4 complete digitization stations have been purchased and are
shipped to the countries before training; a training manual has been developed (and will be
translated into Spanish/French); first dLOC training very successful at CARICOM in May;
training for Haiti scheduled for June 12-14; will be scheduling training for DR in early July.
Jamaica and Venezuela will receive training in the next fiscal year, which begins in Oct.
- Development of technical infrastructure (Erich, the Technical Director, will give this report
later).
- Outreach and promotion of dLOC: interviews with newspaper in the Virgin Islands;
presentations at digital library conference in Venezuela, the Latin American Studies
Association, SALALM; submission of a peer-reviewed article in the upcoming book,
"Caribbean Libraries"
c. Project Directors attended the TICFIA meeting in April and are looking forward to potential
collaboration with other projects funded by TICFIA.
d. Personnel changes: Current Training Coordinator at FIU will be replaced with Systems and
GIS positions; CM announces she is leaving FIU to go to UNM to be the Curator of Latin
American/Iberian Collections, but the structure is in place so that there will be little disruption to
dLOC.


3. Scholarly Advisory Board Report (Judith)









Member list distributed to the executive committee. 14 scholars vied for 7 spots. Meeting
tomorrow at CSA, Lloyd Gardner from VI, who knows the project well, will help to lead the
discussions. Charge of the Scholarly Advisory Board is to advise the Executive Committee, and
they will be looking for new members, new collections, and possibly new grant opportunities.
This group will help stabilize the framework for the project, going past the grant life. Two year
term and should stagger the expiration of the terms. Advisory Board will soon have a listserv.

4. Reports from Caribbean Partners

CARICOM (MN)): Happy to be a part of dLOC, and CARICOM is looking forward to
contributing their items. CARICOM Secretariat is behind this project.

Materials targeted for digitization: a) CARIFESTA, a Caribbean festival held every 4 years, b)
CARIFTA (the forerunner of CARICOM), and c) cricket.

Training on May 11-12th, from EK and MS. Equipment arrived prior to training.
Training was excellent, although too short. 16 people attended, from a variety of departments,
which included IT folks for ongoing support of equipment.

Post-training activities: Staff members like the training manual as it is easy to follow. Currenlty
staff is digitizing some large bound volumes from the National Libraries, which consists of very
old clippings with dirt spots, etc. UF volunteered to digitize one of the larger books of
CARIFESTA clippings. Time consuming project when it gets going, since it involves a lot of
manipulation of images. Will try to target a single day each week and put dLOC on the work
program.

Will try to send data as it is finished; ifFTP becomes problematic, can send by DVD. UF also
has some previously scanned images from CARICOM and will reprocess and submit for
CARICOM.

Archives Nationales d'Haiti (JWB):

5000 photographs will be the first contribution, using dLOC as an archival means. It is a very
interesting collection photographs of different buildings, monuments, etc.
Archives Nationales d'Haiti is working with a number of partners and they are invited to the
training next month, about 15 people in all will attend the training, including from Archives
Nationales d'Haiti, Bibliotheque Nationale d'Haiti, Bibliotheque Haitienne des Peres Saint-
Esprit, Institut Francais d'Haiti, Bibliotheque des Freres I.C., AUF. Patrick Tardieu
(Bibliotheque Haitienne des Peres Saint-Esprit) will assist EK and MS with training and
translation. Equipment has been picked up and taken through Customs.

Some of these other institutions are interested in becoming members. Each has very important
collections.


Universidad del Oriente, Venezuela (AB): Distributedproject list









Universidad del Oriente has been developing its digital library for several years; they will host
their own digital images and serve them by OAI to dLOC. In Venezuela there are 22 public
universities total and 13 are working together to create a national digital library. Participating
universities are attending technical training courses now.

Universidad del Oriente has 5 main campuses in 5 main states, in many historic parts. There are
plans to digitize many historical documents, concentrating on regional cultural traditions,
including the following:

- New published books, with the permission of author.
- Literature on regional history and culture.
- Oral histories, including those from Sucre and from a black village in the east of Venezuela.
5-6 interviews already taped. Probably added to the digital library by next month.
- Popular music from each state. Music being converted to MP3 and placed in library.
- Every year there is a 'cultural competition' of traditional music and dance. 25 videos to be
digitized.
- Museum artifacts. Have completed work with one museum (Museo Antonio Jose de Sucre),
with four to go. Creating CD for distribution to schools. Should launch by 25th of June
2006.
- National Parks will also be a part of the digitization effort; currently working on the
permissions for free and open access.

National Library of Jamaica (WH):

Digitizing the Jamaica Unshackled. 1831 first labour uprising, 1865 post emancipation,
1938. Digitized most of the items, but working on the metadata now. Working with
ContentDM. Items will also be made available to dLOC. Need help with the creation of
metadata, using DublinCore. UF will assess a metadata sample and provide feedback.

UCF (CS):

Virtual exhibit of Bryant West Indies collection. Image bank of artwork. Caribbean arts and
photographs of Bryant with the artists. 2000 slides digitized and converted. Expected to be
placed in ContentDM. Collection of books (early writings) about the Caribbean. Narrative also
included in the artwork. High-end digital images.

UVI (JR):

CSA papers will be contributed by UVI to dLOC. Lloyd Gardener is asking for permission to
publish these documents. We hope CSA comes on-line as a member. UVI will digitize the
items they have in their collection.

UF (EK):

UF will follow the lead of other partners, to complete a collection. We will also concentrate on
Surinam and Caribbean papers (Cuban, then Haitian)... repurposing old work. Also will work









with old maps. UF was contacted by OCLC to convert old monographic microfilm to digital.
Caribbean newspapers is a large part of this. 30,000 items match their criteria.

5. Technical Director Report (EK)

Training manual improved. Copies distributed on disk. Spanish and French translations soon.
We will try to keep one updated copy with each partner.

Website... Small political issue with URL. We are likely to buy one ourselves,
. Not purchased at this time however.

Digital Library Technology in place. Based on greenstone with a layer of programming on top,
completed by MS. Funded by UF Libraries, not dLOC Grant. Search interface will be in
Spanish, English, and French. MS reported on Metadata Tools. Please provide any criticisms or
feedback to MS.

Ready for text, just purchased the second seat of Prime Recognition, OCR text-conversion
engine. Extended capacity. Anything textual will be converted to searchable text. Then, text
can be returned to each partner.

Increased our ability to handle images with JPEG2000 Server, which allows one to zoom in on
images. Funded outside of dLOC. UF has a new audio and video server which can help handle
these types of materials. Extended map server. Building Caribbean Gazetteer with place names
and locations, which will allow geographical searches.

Received funding for a newspaper project, mostly Florida papers, but also some Caribbean
content. Currently working on the newspaper standards.

FTP technology is established for receiving data. Can also receive CD's, DVD's, and hard
drives. Will use OAI with Venezuela and Jamaica. Will probably use OAI with UCF as well,
which will most likely be the first test.

Skype. UF has established a "dlochelp" contact, for assistance with technical and equipment
issues as they arrive. Would like to see more folks from partner institutions listed to establish an
international help network.

Infrastructure for shared equipment. UF has digitized tightly-bound items and large maps. UF
has capability for some more complex objects and would like to share this capacity with dLOC
partners.

6. Year Two Requirements, Budget, etc.. (CM)

We received more money for Year Two than was expected. These additional funds will be used
to provide equipment to Venezuela.









Year 1-2 requirements: at the end of the fiscal yea (Sept. 30, 2006) we must evaluate project for
grant agency, including how budget was spent. Images and funds (matching) will be asked for
from UF, FIU, and UCF by October. A large part of UF's contract is used to process these
images, so we are asking Haiti, CARICOM, and FUNGLODE to submit images as soon as they
are digitized. We trained late, though, so it may be hard to meet all the image requirements for
year 1.

Requirements for year include our match and more images.

7. Membership in dLOC, New Partners (JR)

How do we determine and invite new membership to dLOC? Some of the requirements are in
the dLOC By-Laws. Must have Caribbean collections, and be willing to share them freely. New
members will become part of the general membership. Need an agreement form to circulate.
Agreement between UF, FIU, and UVI may be a model for this agreement. Application is
submitted, and then reviewed by this body. Advisory board can recommend people; Executive
Committee determines new membership.

8. New Business (JR)

Need a way of solidifying this structure. As part of TICFIA, we have co-directors and a
technical director. These are requirements of the grant. As we develop definite ideas to pursue,
it will be put out to this committee. Hopefully we can find funding solutions together. Project
Coordinator, hired by TICFIA, must be a big part of this in the future, since we are all doing this
in our spare time.

Next ACURIL meeting we should have an Executive Committee Meeting and also a General
Membership Meeting.

9. Summary and Adjournment (JR)

Remember to provide feedback and suggest policy.



Respectfully submitted,


Mark Sullivan (UF) / Catherine Marsicek (FIU)