Black Bayou Lake
National Wildlife Refuge
Kelby Ouchley, Refuge Manager
Black Bayou Lake NWR
11372 Highway 143
Farmerville, LA 71241
Phone: 318/387 1114
Fax: 318/387 2629
* Established: 1997.
* Acres: approximately 4,200 (6,000
acres in approved acquisition
* Refuge established by a unique,
free, 99-year lease with City of
* Located in Ouachita Parish, LA.
* Office currently located on
D'Arbonne National Wildlife
Refuge, 10 miles north of West
Monroe, LA on LA Highway 143.
* The existing refuge consists of
pristine wetlands associated with
a shallow cypress studded lake,
riparian areas and farm fields in
the watershed that will be
* The area provides excellent
habitat for wetland dependent fish
and wildlife such as waterfowl,
wading birds, neotropical
migrants, and game fish.
Financial Impact of Refuge
* North Louisiana Refuge Complex
* D'Arbonne, Handy Brake, Red
River, Upper Ouachita, Black
Bayou Lake NWR's and
Louisiana Wetlands Management
District are administered under
the North Louisiana Refuges
Complex with a total budget for
FY 05 of $1,435,500.
* Black Bayou receives 36,000
* Protect and enhance habitat for
endangered species, waterfowl,
neotropical migrants, and
* Provide environmental education/
interpretation in a semi-urban
* Provide high quality recreational
* Protect the long-term water
quality of Black Bayou Lake.
* Forest management including
* Public education/interpretation.
* Hunting and fishing.
* Law enforcement.
* Partnerships and volunteer
* Control of noxious weeds.
Public Use Opportunities
* Sport fishing.
* Wildlife observation.
* Wildlife photography blind.
* Cjir ,, inH! 1,njl in, .
* Interpretive boardwalk.
* Visitor center.
* Conservation learning center.
* Nature trails.
Calendar of Events
Year round: fishing, wildlife
observation, photography, canoeing,
Questions and Answers
When is the refuge openfor public '
The refuge is open year round during
daylight hours for permitted uses.
Visitor Center hours are 8:00 am -
4:00 pm weekdays, 9:00 am 5:00 pm
Saturday, 1:00 pm 5:00 pm Sunday.
Are therefees to use the refuge?
There are no entrance fees. There is a
$2 boat launch fee ($1 for Golden Age
What is "Friends of Black Bayou, Inc."?
This is a refuge support group
consisting of volunteers from all
walks of life. New members are
welcome and needed. Contact the
refuge office for details.