Title: UF-IFAS Faculty Council meeting minutes
ALL ISSUES CITATION PDF VIEWER THUMBNAILS ZOOMABLE PAGE IMAGE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091705/00081
 Material Information
Title: UF-IFAS Faculty Council meeting minutes
Uniform Title: UF-IFAS Faculty Council meeting minutes
Physical Description: Newspaper
Language: English
Creator: IFAS Faculty Council, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida
Publisher: IFAS Faculty Council, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
Publication Date: September 11, 2008
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00091705
Volume ID: VID00081
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.

Downloads

This item has the following downloads:

Minutes_091108 ( PDF )


Full Text




UF-IFAS Faculty Council Meeting Minutes
11 September 2008
Red Larson Dairy Building, Room 102
Members present: Art Teixeira, Agriculture and Biological Engineering; Wendy Wilber,
Alachua County; Charlie Guy, Environmental Horticulture; Kevin Kenworthy,
Agronomy; Debbie Miller, West Florida REC (polycom); Heather McAuslane,
Entomology and Nematology; Gbola Andesojan, Animal Sciences; Maisie Ross, Palm
Beach County (polycom); Brenda Rogers, Manatee County; Monica Elliott, Ft
Lauderdale REC (polycom); David Norman, Mid- Florida REC; Billy Crow, Entomology
and Nematology; Bill Lindberg, Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences
Guests Present: Eric Luc (graduate student aide to Billy Crow)

Members Absent: Gene Mc Avoy, Hendry County; Sherry Larkin, Food and Resource
Economics

The meeting was called to order by Chair Billy Crow at 2PM;
he then asked individuals to introduce themselves. The
agenda was reviewed and the Entomology and
Nematology Building was identified as the site for future
meetings starting in October. Billy also announced that
some date changes were likely due to scheduling conflicts
with Dr. Cheek's calendar. He shared that Larry Arrington
will not be available until January's meeting.

The minutes were presented and corrections were made. A
motion to accept the minutes with corrections was made
by Charlie Guy with a second made by Kevin Kenworthy.
Motion passed. Minutes will be corrected and posted on
the Faculty Council (FC) web page.

A report from the UF Faculty Senate was made by Heather
McAuslane, who shared that four items were addressed:
First was The State of the University address by President
Machen; Second was the sunset of four Master's of
Agriculture degrees; Third was the address of new Senate







President, Frank Bova, and fourth were remarks from the
University of Florida CFO, Matt Fajack. Heather reported
that the September Senate meeting agenda had not been
released prior to today's FC meeting. The issue of IFAS
representation on the Faculty Senate Budget Council was
discussed. Al Wysocki served previously; Dr. Cheek serves as
Senior Vice President, but currently no IFAS faculty member
is on the committee. FC encourages IFAS Senators to
consider running for this important position in April 2009. Bill
Lindberg and Heather McAuslane will discuss this with IFAS
Senators at their next pre-Senate meeting.

The next item discussed was the IFAS Faculty Assembly. The
correspondence from Senior Vice President Cheek to unit
leaders was reviewed and discussed. Suggestions were
made regarding the opening paragraph and the mention
of staggered terms. Billy will communicate with Paul Willis
and the letter will go out quickly. Units must elect their
representative so that they can be assembled on
November 13. It was decided that the IFAS Assembly will
start meeting with the FC in November 2008 and the two
groups will function jointly for a period of transition. Bill
Lindberg and Charlie Guy will bring a draft agenda for the
November 13 meeting for discussion at FC on October 8. Bill
Lindberg provided a brief history of the actions of FC to get
to the Shared Governance Resolution and the Assembly's
structure. The process has been several years in the works.
Last summer the issue was revisited by the FC. Senior Vice
President Cheek appointed a joint faculty/administration
committee and charged it with bringing forward a
document that would be embraced by faculty and
administration. It was to include representation from every
IFAS unit, including departments, centers, and districts. The







Faculty Assembly will have greater responsibilities for
decision making under a shared governance plan than the
current Faculty Council. The Assembly will determine,
recommend and/or consult, as outlined in the IFAS
Constitution. FC members expressed concern that some
faculty may not realize the opportunity in place for faculty
to participate in governance through faculty
representatives. It is our chance to be involved or go back
to "business as usual." The Constitution clearly spells out the
responsibilities of assembly delegates; it was ratified by the
faculty and signed by administration.

The next agenda item discussed was the Solutions For Your
Life Website. Brenda Rogers shared comments from Ashley
Wood addressing the questions that arose in the August FC
meeting. She also shared that Ashley would like to discuss
the issues identified by FC in a future meeting. Monica
asked for information on how to eliminate old or incorrect
information that may pop up in the site. There was a
consensus that EDIS documents should be the preferred
documents produced by a search. Billy Crow suggested
that members bring or send examples of their concerns to
Ashley Wood and that he would invite Ashley to a future
meeting. There was also discussion of applying a survey for
users to comment on their experience using Solutions for
Your Life.

Future agendas were discussed. It was suggested that
Ashley Wood be invited for December, Larry Arrington for
January, and that October's meeting focus on the agenda
for the joint FC/IFAS Faculty Assembly meeting in November.







The next item discussed was the Supplemental Salary Pay
Plan and the goal of the program. FC members suggested
that the program had three goals, 1) to save salary dollars,
2) to put more money in the pocket of faculty, and 3) to
encourage/generate more grant funding. Discussion
included the fact that many faculty members are hesitant
to participate in the program because of the current
budget challenges and the consequential shifts for
operating and graduate student funding to grant funds.
Other concerns expressed included chances of obtaining
grants if salary contributions are requested in funding
applications and what would happen if the grant ended;
Would faculty member go back to full funding? An
example was given from another university that allowed
faculty to receive a pay bonus out of grant funds at the end
of the year.

Senior Vice President Jimmy Cheek arrived at 3:15 PM and
discussion continued on the Supplemental Salary Pay Plan.
Dr. Cheek stressed that the main reasons to be part of the
SSPP were to increase support dollars for programs and
increase compensation for faculty. He also shared that
President Machen would like to see all faculty self-support
up to 25%, Dr. Cheek maintains that the 25% goal may not
be suitable across the board but there are many faculty
positions where some self-support would be appropriate.
Currently, some new hires are required to maintain a
percentage of their salary on grants and contracts. Faculty
Council is charged with identifying ways to improve the
program to garner more participation. There are 10 Faculty
members in the program with participation varying
between 10 and 25 percent. Several examples of other







enhancement programs were discussed; FC will bring a
recommendation to Dr. Cheek.

Billy Crow asked Dr. Cheek about his candidacy at The
University of Tennessee. He shared that he was
approached by the search firm and felt the opportunity was
worth investigating. He currently is one of five finalists vying
for the position. Interviews will be conducted in September.

Brenda Rogers asked about the plans to replace Cindy
Littlejohn. Sr. VP Cheek shared that Cindy will start her new
position when the next session begins. She will help identify
the new person for her former position and will be retained
for a transition period. All agreed that Cindy's resignation
was a great loss to IFAS.

Billy Crow then asked about the status of Department
mergers and how they were being addressed. He
suggested that while several made sense with lots of
commonalities, they created very large departments which
would seem to be difficult to manage administratively. Dr.
Cheek commented that the issues were still being studied
and the options weighed. The elimination of one
department is part of the budget reduction plan, and lots of
options were being considered.

Dr. Cheek shared some future building plans for IFAS. In the
next four years 80 million dollars is set aside from a Utility Tax
Fund held in trust for new buildings. This project will have no
impact on the University budget from the state. This building
will house Water, Land, and Plant Sciences. He also stated
that Newell Hall needed to be renovated, and that when
Soils moves from McCarty Hall, IFAS will keep space for labs.









Billy Crow presented a request from several students to
come to a FC meeting as part of their class. The FC felt that
the entire class visiting at one time would be disruptive but
that perhaps a couple of students could visit at one time or
the entire class could observe via polycom.

At 4:05 PM, Dr. Cheek left the meeting.

Eric Luc will send the Supplemental Salary Pay Plan
documents to members for review and discussion at the
next FC meeting. Members should email Billy Crow with
agenda items for the next meeting.

Charlie Guy asked about the next round of budget cuts
expected to come in the Fall. Billy Crow will communicate
with administration that FC is offering its services to be the
voice of faculty in the process since the Faculty Assembly
will not be fully in place in time to consult on decisions.

Gbola Andesojan and Heather McAuslane had questions
about the Peer Evaluation System for teaching which
recently was shared with faculty. Concern was expressed
that the guidelines would be available soon, but the
effective date was September 1, 2008. FC will review the
documents sent by administration for discussion at the next
meeting.

Brenda Rogers shared that she will not be able to attend the
next meeting, so someone else will have to take the
minutes.


Meeting adjourned at 4:30 PM








Submitted by Brenda Rogers, Recorder




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs