Title: UF-IFAS Faculty Council meeting minutes
ALL ISSUES CITATION PDF VIEWER THUMBNAILS ZOOMABLE PAGE IMAGE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091705/00044
 Material Information
Title: UF-IFAS Faculty Council meeting minutes
Uniform Title: UF-IFAS Faculty Council meeting minutes
Physical Description: Newspaper
Language: English
Creator: IFAS Faculty Council, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida
Publisher: IFAS Faculty Council, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
Publication Date: June 22, 2005
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00091705
Volume ID: VID00044
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.

Downloads

This item has the following downloads:

Minutes_062205 ( PDF )


Full Text






IFAS Faculty Council Meeting Minutes
June 22, 2005

Members Present: Doug Archer, Celia Hill, Martin Adjei, Mike Sweat, Bob Hochmuth, Jane
Polston, John Davis, Heather McAuslane, Lisa Guion

Members Absent: Greg Nuessly, Ed Jennings, Larry Parsons, Carol Lehtola

Senior Vice President Jimmy Cheek was in attendance.

Chair (Doug) opened the meeting at 1:25 p.m.

Minutes from the council meeting in May are not available.

Action Needed: A message should be put on the website that states that due to technical
difficulties the May minutes cannot be posted.

Topic 1: Report/Update from Dr. Cheek

1. Dr. Cheek shared the results of Tenure and Promotion applications at UF for 2005. IFAS had
a great amount of diversity in both gender and ethnicity of faculty receiving tenure and/or
promotion as compared to other colleges. Dr. Cheek indicated that we all should be proud of
this. Dr. Cheek indicated that he also shared this information with Dr. Machen.

2. Salary Increases: Dr. Cheek shared that a 3.6% raise across the board for all faculty was
approved. Merit increase of 1.4% was also approved. Money to cover the increase, except for
1.4% Merit, will come out of enrollment growth to the tune of approximately $7.7 million. Do you
know where their increases are coming from?. August 1st is the effective date for both across the
board (3.6%) and merit (1.4%).

Question: A council member asked if unfilled priority positions would be filled given the increases.

Response: Dr. Cheek affirmed that he is committed to the positions that are out now (advertised).
Dr. Cheek says that he is obligated to release 6 positions: 4 on hold since July 2004 and 2 new
positions. Other critical positions are priority and will be filled as resources become available.

Question: A council member asked, "Is the promotion increase standardized or does it vary by
department?"

Response: Dr. Cheek indicated that the promotion from Assistant to Associate will be 9% or a
minimum of $3,000, whereas the move from Associate to Full will be 9% or a minimum of
$5,000. Dr. Cheek further explained that the 3.6% and 1.4% merit (if received) increases will be
based on the current salary and the promotion (9%) will be based on old salary (salary before
3.6% and 1.4% if received).

Topic 3: IFAS Marketing & Public Relations (where is Topic 2?)

Dr. Cheek indicated that there will some changes in responsibilities. He indicated that:
1. Mr. Don Poucher, Assistant Vice President, will focus most of his attention on launching a
radio program on urban horticulture. This will involve a close relationship with the Center for
Landscape Ecology & Conservation. He will also be working with the International Programs
Office to promote their programs and develop and write their newsletter. Don will continue to plan










and coordinate special events for IFAS and provide leadership for CARET delegates and
Extension Lay Leaders.

2. Dr. Cindy Littlejohn will handle legislative issues in Florida (state level) and now also
Washington DC (federal level).

Question: Since Cindy L. does not have Washington experience, why is she now going to be also
working in DC?

Response: Dr. Cheek said that Mike Hall is the UF lobbyist so we do not need a lot of presence in
DC. Cindy will help Mike better understand IFAS. She will not spend a lot of time in DC. There
are not many programs at the federal level that we are pushing at this time. Cindy will be great
bridging the gap between the House and the Senate members representing FL and their staff.

3. Dr. Richard Jones will move to time assignment and assume the role of Special Assistant to
the Senior Vice President for Agriculture and Natural Resources and Professor. He will work on
some initiatives in DC to try to get funds to support IFAS work. He will work on other special
projects.

4. Dr. Tracy Irani will spend 10% focusing on web/internet relations.

5. Mr. Jack Battenfield is the new Director of External & Media Relations. He will review internal
and external communications, build consensus, and develop and implement a plan to use
modern marketing communication strategies to communicate the impact of IFAS programs.
News writers (news articles, impact magazine, research report, etc.) will be moved from IFAS
Communication Services to Director of External & Media Relations' Office for more coordination.

Question: A council member asked "Will the writers (now working with Jack) be able to write
news/press releases for major grants, etc.?"

Response: Dr. Cheek replied that if it is not part of their job description now, it would be.

6. IFAS must get a better web presence. More visibility for IFAS programs is needed. Ms. Liz
Felter will be part of the team that is being assembled to address this issue. Liz will work on web
to get info & get that info to people who put it on the web. She gets content that goes on the web.
(are these last 2 sentences saying the same thing?)

Topic 4: Dr. Cheek asked for other questions from the council members

Question: Philosophy on Dean's role now the missing the rest of the sentence.

Sr. VP Response: We are extremely fortunate to be getting the 2 Deans we have. There was
strong consensus on the candidates from the faculty at large. Research Dean starts after July 1st
Went to Texas A&M and took a program that was down and propelled it in 6 short years to have
its own 6 million building and a lot of grant support. Teaching Dean, Kirby Barrick, starts at the
end of August. He has been in Illinois at academic program.

Question: Grantsmanship: How do we get more monetary incentives for faculty to go out and get
grant funds?

Sr. VP Response: Deans working with Chairs and Center Directors to map out strategies for this
to happen.










Question: If you want to attract top graduate students we need to have course offerings. Due to
some faculty losses (drop, etc) we see weakening course offerings. What are the plans to
address this?

Sr. VP Response: Dr. Cheek wants the CALS Dean to provide leadership. He says he sees the
role of the Deans to take the program they are responsible for and move them significantly from
where they are to make them even better.

Question: What incentives for students to come to REC?

Sr. VP Response: One Assistant Professor in Pensacola has several grad students but this is not
common. But yes, we do need to see what incentives we can give. One strategy is to have
dorms at all Centers?. Deans need to work with Center Directors to develop other strategies.

Question: Do you think most of the intercollegiate opportunities will be top down (from DC) or
bottom up (faculty driven)?

Sr. VP Response: Has seen success either way. Water Institute is faculty driven. Genetics
institute is top down.

Question: Do you think intercollegiate opportunities will provide additional faculty?

Sr. VP Response: Yes, 1st priority: 4-H & Families, 2nd priority: Emergent Pathogens (Medicine &
ENG). Interdisciplinary partnerships is a keyword.

Question: Most major land grant universities gives prospective candidate information and
relocation material to feature school, programs & community. Ex. Wisconsin has wonderful
package. A lot of times a candidate's decision hinges on the spouse.

Sr. VP Response: We have a new VP of Human Relations who put together a nice packet for 2nd
interviews for the 2 Dean positions. But we need to do a better job of promoting this top-notch
university, IFAS' excellent programs and the community of Gainesville .

Topic 5: Next meeting: Council members and Dr. Cheek will select a meeting date for the next
meeting.

Dr. Cheek departed the meeting at 2:45 p.m.

Topic 6: Request to meet with council

Chair shared that the Chair of Faculty Senate requested a meeting with this council about shared
governance.

Action Needed: Incoming Chair of the council should issue an invitation.

Topic 7: T& P Committee Elections

Chair said ballots are out today and are due back on July 7th. Mailing list is not up to date.

Question: Can this be done electronically in the future? Put in e-mail and submit to Access. Can
this be done?










Response: Chair indicated that his contact person in the VP's office wanted to do mailing.

Action Needed: Doug will ask VP Office if we could pattern the T&P election after the Graduate
Council which is done electronically.

Topic 8: Elect New Chair and Secretary

The six individuals who are staying on will vote (I thought all members could vote, according to
Mike Sweat).

The following individuals can vote (those whose terms does not end until August 2006):

Lisa Guion
Martin Adjei
Ed Jennings (not present)
Jane Polston
John Davis
Bob Hochmuth

John moved that Lisa be Chair of the council. Martin seconded. Vote unanimous.

No nominations for secretary. The council decided to wait until the first meeting with the new
members to solicit a volunteers) for that role.

Action Needed: Doug will notify Dr. Cheek of the election of the new chair.

Meeting adjourned at 3:15 pm.

Minutes respectfully submitted by Lisa A. Guion.




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs