Title: UF-IFAS Faculty Council meeting minutes
ALL ISSUES CITATION PDF VIEWER THUMBNAILS ZOOMABLE PAGE IMAGE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091705/00040
 Material Information
Title: UF-IFAS Faculty Council meeting minutes
Uniform Title: UF-IFAS Faculty Council meeting minutes
Physical Description: Newspaper
Language: English
Creator: IFAS Faculty Council, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida
Publisher: IFAS Faculty Council, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
Publication Date: November 1, 2004
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00091705
Volume ID: VID00040
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.

Downloads

This item has the following downloads:

Minutes_110104 ( PDF )


Full Text






UF IFAS Faculty Advisory Committee (FAC) Meeting
November 1,2004

Minutes

Members Present: Douglas Archer (Chair and Presiding), Lisa Guion, Larry Parsons, Edward
Jennings, Mike Sweat, Jane Polston, Celia Hill, Carol Lehtola, John Davis, Robert Hochmuth

Members Absent: Alison Fox, Martin Adjei, Greg Nuessly

Lunch Started: 12:00 pm

Meeting: Called to order at 12:35 by Chair Doug Archer. The minutes were distributed.

Announcements: None

October Minutes: Reviewed minutes from 10/20/04 meeting that were taken and prepared by
Celia Hill. The committee made revisions and corrections to the minutes that were recorded by
Celia. The motion to accept minutes as amended, made by Mike Sweat and seconded by Bob
Hochmuth, was approved unanimously.

Discussion Items:

1.VP Candidates:

A. Evaluation Forms Doug asked if FAC members had completed the evaluation
forms of the three Sr. VP Candidates? No one had completed them.
Discussion: Doug also asked why the evaluation forms are not going to the UF
President's office especially with an internal candidate? Larry indicated that
confidentiality could be an issue. Jane stated that this feedback process on
candidates is contrary to shared governance.
Action: Doug indicated that he may send his forms directly to Dr. Machen Others
indicated that they may do the same.

B. Low turn out at the Sr. VP candidate presentations.
Discussion: Doug indicated that the same 40 people attend the presentations each
time. Larry added that it might be a sign of apathy.

2. Senate FAC relationship improvement

Doug asked what should be FAC's next steps regarding ideas from FAC getting to the
senate

A. Issue 1: How do we get better connection?

B. Issue 2: Do the IFAS Senators need to serve on FAC also?

Discussion: Doug elaborated on why these issues are important and of interest to us. He
explained that in a shared governance model, the Senate has a lot of control and power. Thus,
FAC may need to have a strong voice on the Senate.










Celia asked if an issue was also whether information from the Senate filters to the county
level? Doug indicated that there might be a Senator from the county faculty (Jim Selph).

Ed felt that Jim just attended Senate meetings, but was not a Senator.

John says that he sees the Senate as a sidebar for what this group should be/do within
IFAS.

John indicated that he is a Senator. He feels that most Senate issues are information
that is sent campus wide any way.

Ed asked John how he became a Senator.

John responded that it is IFAS wide voting.

Ed indicated that he has not voted on any individuals. He had not received the ballots.

Jane and Bob indicated they receive ballots to elect Senators while at REC.

Celia indicated that in the October and November 2003 minutes, Dr. Martin, former IFAS
VP, stated that county faculty are not included in the senate ballot vote. New FAC
members can go to IFAS website to review previous FAC minutes. Bob said that REC
faculty receive ballots.

Doug asks whether this issue of not voting on senators relates to union vote?

John said the union vote is a separate issue.

Action: FAC members want to find out if there have ever been any county faculty in the
UF faculty senate? Are there any county faculty in the senate now? What if anything
precludes county faculty from being included in the senate? Bob says that Larry A. would
probably want to know what options are also.

Doug will invite Dean Larry Arrington back to December FAC meeting to discuss funding
formula and ramifications of including county faculty in the senate.

3. IFAS involvement in Food Safety Institute of the America

Doug asked if any FAC members heard about this institute. No members had heard of this.
Doug explained that Miami/Dade Community College was given funds by USDA and project is
staffed by FSIS (Food Safety Inspection Service). The mission of the institute is to be to
filter/transmitters of food safety information for the Americas (North America, South America).
Doug indicated that he was called a few weeks ago and asked to put a proposal together for
$125,000. The proposal was funded at the requested amount. The funds are to be used to put
together a survey that will go to organizations working in the area of food safety in all North and
South American countries to find out what resources and information are available. This
information will be compiled and disseminated. Nine months to complete project. According to
Doug, the ultimate goal is to level the playing field for exports and imports.

4. IFAS T& P Committee

Issue: Did we ever get an answer on how we get elected members of IFAS T&P?










Discussion: Celia asked how do people get on the committee. Larry asked Ed how he
got on to committee. Ed was not sure because it had been two years. However, Ed
indicated that he thinks he got a call from Dean for Extension Office and was asked to
serve. Doug answered that it is 100% appointed. John says that it may be like USDA
grants where they do not want people to know who is on the committee until after people
have served to keep integrity of the process so that individuals do not lobby members of
T&P.

Doug says while he has no strong opinions, do we need to know how this appointment
process works so we can put this agenda issue to rest because it keeps coming up?
John asked is there a problem with T&P committee being viewed as being nonobjective
or unfair. Ed says that when he served it took a week in Gainesville because people were
very conscientious to be fair. Ed stated that we may want someone from personnel to
come talk to the FAC members about this issue.

Doug indicated that he has not heard gripes about IFAS T&P. He indicated that the
problems that he had of were at the UF Board level because they do not know what IFAS
does, particularly extension. Many other FAC members chimed in simultaneously stating
that the problems were with the UF Review Board, not IFAS.

Celia moved that we not address this issue since there had not been a lot of complaints
about IFAS T& P Committee. No action taken on the motion because Dr. Jones arrived.

Interim Vice President Dr. Richard Jones arrived at 1:35 pm.

Questions and/or Discussion Items for/with Dr. Jones:

1. Question: Celia asked Dr. Jones how were IFAS T&P committee members chosen.

Response: Dr. Jones indicated that the IFAS Personnel Office gives the VP a list of
tenured faculty. IFAS Administrators then review the list to see who has served and try to
pick the best faculty. Dr. Jones gave an example when stating that they do not pick
lifetime associate professors for the committee. Dr. Jones stated that the Senate would
like to see more colleges elect members for their T&P Committee. Two colleges have
elected T& P committees. Senate thinks this is the model for the entire university. Dr.
Jones says about 10 people typically serve on the IFAS T&P Committee (3 county, 7
state). He indicated they try to get equal representation from REC & campus with the
term of service being one year.

Jane shared that, with IFAS, it may be difficult to get representation because we have
such diverse units.

Dr. Jones indicated that he thinks the IFAS T&P Committee process) working well. He
shared that his position is if it's not broken, don't fix it.

2. Question: Larry asked Dr. Jones if there were problems with IFAS faculty at the UF Board
level.

Response: Dr. Jones replied that since he has been at UF, it has not been an issue because we
have people from IFAS on the committee and have not had an issue with Extension. More
problems in the Provost Office with 9% pay raise for senior professors. This has been a problem
with Extension, according to Dr. Jones, because they still expect referred publications and grant
dollars. Senior extension professors, who were hired and spent most of their career in the old










model when a lot of publications were not required, are having a difficult time. Dr. Jones
indicates that now the expectation is that everyone, regardless of their appointment, will have
refereed publications. Dr. Jones says the old tenure code at UF said that faculty must
demonstrate excellence in two of three areas (Teaching, Research, Extension), but now the
expectation is that research is expected of all.

Dr. Jones says about or a little over who were eligible for the 9% got this last round.
He says that the university does go over the rankings by IFAS and may reject it. They
have a certain amount of money that is allocated so UF make the decisions. UF may
select someone that IFAS had ranked lower. Dr. Jones says that IFAS has and will argue
the case if needed.

3. VP Candidate Ballots

Question: Doug asked Dr. Jones where the ballot goes after Kim Rollins receives it.

Response: Dr. Jones says he is not sure but whomever receives it, better get it quickly.
Dr. Jones says the search committee meets tomorrow afternoon in Apopka to come up
with their recommendation to submit to President Machen.

Dr. Phillips, Sr. VP Search Committee Chair, will take the search committee's input to
President Machen. Dr. Jones indicated that President Machen has solicited and received
a great deal of input on each candidate.

Dr. Jones says that he see no reason why members of the FAC could not fax the VP candidates
ballots to President Machen directly if they choose.

4. USDA grants for graduate students

Discussion: Jane says she received an email from Dr. Cheek about Grad Student USDA
National needs. Jane asked whether the proposal is put together at Dean's level. Dr.
Jones is not certain but says that he does not believe an institution is limited to one
proposal. John thinks proposals can be submitted by faculty or group of faculty. Dr.
Jones says it may be departmental. Jane says she thought it was interdepartmental.
John asked if there was a web link for more information on the grants.

Action: Jane will ask Jane Luzar to send a reply to the aforementioned questions. Jane
will send a copy of the reply to Doug so that it can be disseminated to the entire
committee.

5. Turnout at VP Candidate Presentations

Doug shared the earlier discussion on this issue with Dr. Jones. Dr. Jones says turnout was
better for the second candidate.

6. Union Update

A. Discussion: Dr. Jones says state board has not issued a ruling. Why they have not is
uncertain according to Dr. Jones. Dr. Jones indicated that nothing is happening.


B. Larry asked Dr Jones: Do we know if IFAS can vote?










Response: Dr. Jones replied that the ruling includes whether IFAS and Health Science
will be a part of collective bargaining as well as a rule on whether to follow procedures to
have a vote on whether IFAS wants to be a part of faculty union. According to Dr. Jones,
they could rule that Faculty Union exists like it did before. Dr. Jones says we are still
waiting on the board's ruling on who will participate in union vote.

7. TEAMS Salary Structure

A. Discussion: Larry discussed how technician pay is below the K-12 teachers in his county
wherein the required experience and degree level is about the same. Will anything be done to
increase pay asked Larry, who went further to say technicians work 12 months and teachers work
9.

Response: Dr. Jones says he does not know how personnel sets pay rate for technicians but he
is sure that it is market driven.

B. Discussion: Larry says it is not easy to pay higher even with grant funds supplementing
salaries for numerous reasons. Jane says it seems the very best people may go into
teaching or other jobs, so we may not be getting the best.

Question 1: Larry asked "How can we get the quality people to help with research?"

Response 1: Dr. Jones says if the person is a TEAMS employee and grant money runs
out, then the person is out of a job. So, according to Dr. Jones, the department does not
have to pick the person's salary up. If the person is SPS, then this could be a problem.
So, Dr. Jones suggested using grant money for TEAMS technicians to get salaries up
and get the best people possible.

Question 2: Doug asked what the advantage is of someone hiring TEAMS versus Post
Doctorate? Does faculty get the option?

Response 2: Dr. Jones replied that with allocations made for tech support money based
on number of faculty. Dr. Jones says they have added a few more positions to units that
have increased faculty. Most people hire TEAMS to have someone on a recurring basis.
Not appropriate to hire post-doc for long term and treat like TEAMS employees states Dr.
Jones.

8. Staff Raise

Dr. Jones says on January 1st, President Machen will give staff a raise of 1.5%. Not sure
if colleges can add an additional 1.5%. Dr. Jones says he hope he does not allow
colleges to add 1.5% as it can create situations where some colleges are strapped and
cannot give additional.

9. Special Pay Increase

Dr. Jones indicated that the SPI's are supposed to be meritorious and the SPI money
comes from unit funds, either grants or state money. Normally a SPI is 10% increase. Dr.
Jones says problem with SPI is that it is kind of hidden and only 20% or so of people get
it.


Question 1: The question was raised: Is 9% the same as SPI?










Response 1: Dr. Jones says in a sense but it is an advertised program. SPI is done on
an individual basis within units. Dr. Machen froze bonuses and SPIs? Dr. Jones says
President Machen sees bonuses as subjective except when state gives $1000 bonus to
every employee. Bonus system needs criteria that show how bonus is earned.

Question 2: Dr. Jones asked what turnover rate is if hire someone as a technician?

Response 2: Jane says last tech left the REC and got a job for 50% higher pay. The
tech had stayed at the REC for four years or so.

Question 3: Dr. Jones asks would it be better to hire a certain smaller number at higher
pay?

Response 3: No direct reply. However, Dr. Jones added that it is a unit's decision about
how money spent if REC has money for tech support they can spend it how they want to
hire 10 people receiving more money or 20 people paid less. Dr. Jones says money
allocated to REC is based on size of REC so there is a lot of economy of scale.

10. State Budgets

Question: Larry asked How are the hurricanes impacting state budget?

Response: Dr. Jones says there will not be rescissions, meaning cutting budgets that have
been allocated. It is too early to tell all of the effects.

11. Faculty Search

Dr. Jones says everything released last July is still out there. No new releases.

$950,000 state appropriation for new county positions. IFAS has match for that money.

Dr. Jones says Swisher Chair (Eminent Scholar) pay comes from IFAS. Endowment pays for
program not salary. This may be very expensive.

12. Nine Month Appointments

Question: John asked if there were net savings with hiring nine month versus twelve month.

Response: Dr. Jones says that in some cases people kept their same salary when switched
from 12 month to 10 or 9 month. So don't save dollars, but does seem to increase grant
funds sponsored programs. Dr. Jones says that you really don't save a lot of money, but
faculty tend to write more grants because write 1 grant to pay their own summer salary and
another grant to hire graduate students to help with research.

Dr. Jones says what you hope for any faculty 12 or 9 is that they get grants.

Dr. Jones departed the meeting at 2:30 p.m.

The Chair indicated that the committee will table the discussion "Specifics on Strategic Plan
Suggestions" until next meeting.

Larry moved to adjourn.










Jane seconded.

Meeting adjourned at 2:33 pm.

Minutes respectfully submitted by Lisa A. Guion.




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs