Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
ALL ISSUES CITATION PDF VIEWER THUMBNAILS ZOOMABLE PAGE IMAGE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091701/00063
 Material Information
Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
Uniform Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
Physical Description: Newspaper
Language: English
Creator: Faculty Senate Steering Committee, University of Florida
Publisher: Faculty Senate Steering Committee, University of Florida
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
Publication Date: September 3, 2009
Copyright Date: 2009
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00091701
Volume ID: VID00063
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.

Downloads

This item has the following downloads:

PDF ( PDF )


Full Text



Senate Steering Committee
Minutes
September 3, 2009
3:00-5:00 P.M.
Tigert 226


Attendees:
Scott Nygren
Elizabeth Bolton
Mary Ann Ferguson
Barbara Wingo
Jack Mecholsky
Frank Bova
Joe Glover
Jane Brockmann


Ellis Greiner
Tracy Rambo
Amelia Bell


Guests:
Peggy Carr
Chris Silver
Bernard Mair


The meeting was called to order at 3:30 PM

The minutes of the August meeting were approved.


Reports:


* Chair's Report


Jack Mecholsky, Chair


Jack Mecholsky reported that the Curriculum Committee needs a name change to the University Curriculum
Committee. He also discussed Academic Learning Compacts which are a way to assess how students are
learning. An assessment committee needs to be established in order to Student learning outcomes. The
COC will review the proposed committee.


* Provost's Report


Joe Glover, Provost


Joe Glover provided a follow up to state of the university address. The administration is working to resolve
the $16.6 M budget deficit. The administration will bring forward proposals to address deficit. The Steering
committee briefly discussed a sick leave payout proposal.



Information Items:

College of Design, Construction and Planning Proposal for a New School Chris Silver, Dean
The change was mandated by BOT in the July 2008 budget reduction. The college is acting on the mandate to take
two departments and merge them into one school. The steering committee reviewed the proposal. Ellis Greiner
recommended putting the acting director in place as the director of the school. The item will be an information item
at the September Senate meeting.








Assessment Committee Bernard Mair, Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education
Bernard Mair presented information on the proposed assessment committee to review academic learning compacts.
Frank Bova moved that the Steering committee accept the proposal to create an ad-hoc committee. The motion was
approved to create the ad-hoc committee.

The committee will discuss the limits of what the testing approach can do.
The Steering committee supports the establishment of the committee so that units can measure their success. Some
members do not think this type of evaluation is meaningful or appropriate.

Creative Campus Committee Jack Mecholsky, Faculty Senate Chair
Jack Mecholsky discussed Dean Lavelli's proposal for a creative campus committee. There is a national movement
for the "creative campus." The notion is to infuse creativity into all parts of the campus. The recommendation is to
create an umbrella organization. Mary Ann Ferguson moved that an ad hoc creative campus committee is
appointed. The motion was approved.

Ad Hoc Committee on the HSC Libraries integrate the HSC library to the main campus libraries. Put under
the library committee, joint chair by faculty member and dean of libraries and faculty in HSC colleges. The library
committee will decide if this committee needs to be permanent or if it is a temporary committee.



Council Reports:

Academic Policy Council Tracy Rambo, Representative
The APC will discuss creating an ad hoc committee to create an academic plan, the council will invite President
Machen to the meeting to discuss this. The APC will also review the SWP after a directive is issued from the Faculty
Senate Chair. Student Government should consider providing an A+ grade at the law school. Amelia Bell will
respond to the student who inquired about this.
Budget Council David Quillen, Chair
No Report. The council will continue review of RCM and will review the shared governance process in the WUFT
issue.
Infrastructure Council Jane Brockmann, Chair
The council met with Matt Fajack and discussed RCM and implications for infrastructure. The council also
discussed a proposed budget review committee with Fajack. The Senate will be asked to suggest members when the
committee is established. The council discussed how to incentivize energy conservation in RCM. They also
discussed IT issues and the IT task force to create a plan for IT Governance. The council will discuss building
maintenance.
Research and Scholarship Council Scott Nygren, Chair
The council discussed RCM last year and met with Matt Fajack.
The council will work to determine the impact of RCM on research and scholarship. The council will discuss taking
up the Graduate Student Bill of Rights. The council will determine issues to review this year after the first meeting.
Welfare Council Tony Offerle, Chair
No report. The council will develop a list of issues to discuss this year. Some issues from last year are: student
perceptions of teaching, tenure and promotion issues in units that are merging.


Ellis Greiner discussed problems with myUF market. The issue will be forwarded to the infrastructure council.

The September Senate agenda was approved.


Adjourned: 5:00 PM




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs