Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
Full Citation
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091701/00049
 Material Information
Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
Uniform Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
Physical Description: Newspaper
Language: English
Creator: Faculty Senate Steering Committee, University of Florida
Publisher: Faculty Senate Steering Committee, University of Florida
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
Publication Date: January 5, 2009
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00091701
Volume ID: VID00049
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.


This item has the following downloads:

Januarysteeringminutes ( PDF )

Full Text

Senate Steering Committee
January 5, 2009
3:00-5:00 P.M.
226 Tigert

Ellis Greiner
Barbara Wingo
Frank Bova
Rick Yost
Sue Percival
David Quillen
Chris Snodgrass
Amelia Bell

Sheila Dickinson

The meeting was called to order at 3:05 PM
The December 4, 2008 minutes were approved.


Chair's Report Frank Bova, Chair

Frank Bova reported that the President intends to address the Senate and have an earlier discussion about this year's
budget targets. He also reported that the RCM project is still moving forward and that the committee is currently
reviewing nine models to understand how they would affect the University.

Provost's Report Joe Glover, Provost

Joe Glover reported that the university is still waiting on the legislature to know what the budget will be. He also
reported that the search for an Associate Provost for Undergraduate Affairs will begin soon as will the Dean of
College of Engineering search. Larry Arrington was appointed Interim VP for IFAS. The SPP recommendations
were accepted and implemented for faculty not in the bargaining unit. Faculty within the bargaining unit have
continued with the SPP under the old rules until the new rules can be bargained.

Council Reports:

Research and Scholarship Council Jacob Chung, Chair
Frank Bova reported on behalf of Jacob Chung. The council discussed Florida Energy Consortium Grant and a
Florida institute for sustainable energy and tried to understand which were dictated by state rules and which the
university had the ability to have jurisdiction of distribution of funds. UF has no authority over the FESC- but the
Florida Sustainability can be managed internally with competitive grants. The council will work with Win Phillips
and SCORS on this issue. The council also received a presentation on office of technology licensing and technology
Budget Council David Quillen, Chair
The CLAS Dean joined the council at the December meeting. CLAS faculty are invited to talk at January meeting.
Kathy Long will talk about FEO funding, the council will discuss the principles document and make modifications

to it. The council tried to define roles with budget process. The council will also discuss RCM at the January
meeting. Finally the budget council will create a budget FAQ document.
Academic Policy Council Danaya Wright, Chair
No report.
Infrastructure Council Jane Brockmann, Chair
No report.
Welfare Council Susan Percival, Chair
Sue Percival discussed the Tenure and Promotion questionnaires. She will bring recommendations to Steering at the
February meeting. The council will look into student perceptions of teaching, how that is viewed, how it is used in

Information Items:

University Curriculum Committee Proposed Name Changes

Daniel Wubah, UCC Chair

1. The department of Romance Languages and Literatures underwent the following changes: Faculty in
Spanish and Portuguese became the nucleus of a new department, which is now proposing the name,
Department of Spanish and Portuguese Studies. Faculty in French, Italian and Haitian Creole became
part of a second department, which is now proposing the name, Department of Languages, Literatures
and Cultures.

2. Faculty in the Department of African and Asian Languages and Literatures and the Department of
Germanic and Slavic Studies also became part of the new department which is now proposing the name,
Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures.

3. The Department of Sociology and the Department of Criminology, Law and Society were merged into one
unit. The proposed name for the new department is the Department of Sociology and Criminology &

Sheila Dickinson presented information on the proposed CLAS name changes. The item will be put the item on the
Senate agenda. In the meantime, the CLAS faculty council will vote on the changes. If the faculty does not vote
before February the item will be pulled from Senate action agenda.

Name change from the department of Pharmacy Practice to Pharmacotherapy and Translational Research
Daniel Wubah, UCC Chair
Larry Lopez presented the name change. It will be an information item at the January Steering committee meeting.

Workshop to develop the concept of the academic program in sustainability
Kim Tanzer, Sustainability committee member
This will just be an information item for Senators at the January meeting and will be included in the Chair's report.

Data mining tools available through the Office of Institutional Planning and Research
Marie Zeglen, Director of Institutional Planning and Research
Marie Zeglen reviewed data mining tools available at www.ir.ufl.edu analytical tools. This item will be an
information item at the January Senate meeting.

Bylaw Changes (changes to 4, 7, 13, and 18) Cathy Martyniak, Constitution Committee Chair
Presented bylaw changes will be presented as an information item in January.

Infrastructure Council Information Technology Governance Process Proposal
Jane Brockmann, Infrastructure Council Chair

Jane Brockmann will clarify that #2 refers to University wide ITAC. This item will be an information item in

Report on CLAS Assembly resolution vote regarding shared governance and academic principles over
layoffs Chris Snodgrass, CLAS Assembly Chair
The Steering committee discussed this issue. CLAS raised the question of legitimacy of decision making since there
was no faculty input. The Steering committee would like to discuss this issue as a university wide shared governance
issue, not just a college specific issue. The committee would like to discuss this as an indication of where faculty
governance is and where it's going, how do we terminate faculty in a budget crisis and how do we have this
discussion? This item will not be an information item for January as presented. The committee will consider best
way to approach having this discussion.

Action Item:

The agenda for the January 15, 2009 Senate meeting was approved.

Meeting adjourned at 5:02 PM

University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs