Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
ALL ISSUES CITATION PDF VIEWER THUMBNAILS ZOOMABLE PAGE IMAGE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091701/00048
 Material Information
Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
Uniform Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
Physical Description: Newspaper
Language: English
Creator: Faculty Senate Steering Committee, University of Florida
Publisher: Faculty Senate Steering Committee, University of Florida
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
Publication Date: December 4, 2008
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00091701
Volume ID: VID00048
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.

Downloads

This item has the following downloads:

decembersteeringminutes_000 ( PDF )


Full Text


Senate Steering Committee
Minutes
December 4, 2008
3:00-5:00 P.M.
226 Tigert

Attendees: Barbara Winjgo
Frank Bova Rick Yost
Chris Snodgrass David Quillen
Sue Percival Jacob Chung
Jack Mecholsky
Bernie Machen Guests:
Danaya Wright John Leavey
Jane Brockmann Vernon Kisling
Ellis Greiner


The meeting was called to order at 3:00 P.M.
The minutes of the November 6, 2008 meeting were approved.

President's Report Bernie Machen, President

Bernie Machen reported on the status of the University endowment and fundraising efforts. Machen also discussed
how the proposed increase in tuition may impact the University.

Council Reports:

Welfare Council Susan Percival, Chair
Sue Percival reported that the first round of FEO awards were given. Additionally the SPP report will be available
for discussion in January. The council has continued its review of the tenure and promotion survey results.

Research and Scholarship Council Jacob Chung, Chair
Jacob Chung reported that the council is working with Tom Walsh on the conflict of interest and export control
issues with regard to research.
Budget Council David Quillen, Chair
David Quillen reported that the budget council has been meeting with Matt Fajack and will determine how to
present RCM information to the Senate. Quillen also reported that the Dean of CLAS will be invited to talk to the
council about the CLAS budget.

Academic Policy Council Danaya Wright, Chair
Danaya Wright discussed creating a process for department changes. The council is working to develop a process
for consolidating and merging departments during budget cuts.

Infrastructure Council Jane Brockmann, Chair
Jane Brockmann reported that the infrastructure council meet with Ed Poppell to discuss utility increases and
sustainability and has been meeting with Chuck Frazier to discuss information technology issues and develop a
proposal on IT governance.







Information Items:


Changes to Tenure and Promotion Units at Smathers Libraries Judith Russell, Dean University Libraries
This item will be an information item at the December Senate meeting.

University Curriculum Committee Proposed Name Changes Daniel Wubah, UCC Chair

1. The department of Romance Languages and Literatures underwent the following changes: Faculty in
Spanish and Portuguese became the nucleus of a new department, which is now proposing the name,
Department of Spanish and Portuguese Studies. Faculty in French, Italian and Haitian Creole became
part of a second department, which is now proposing the name, Department of Languages, Literatures
and Cultures.

2. Faculty in the Department of African and Asian Languages and Literatures and the Department of
Germanic and Slavic Studies also became part of the new department which is now proposing the name,
Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures.

3. The Department of Sociology and the Department of Criminology, Law and Society were merged into one
unit. The proposed name for the new department is the Department of Sociology and Criminology &
Law.

This item will be discussed at the January Steering Committee meeting.

Constitution Committee Language

Cathy Marytniak presented new language for the proposed December action item.

Action Item:


The agenda for the December 18, 2008 meeting was approved.




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs