Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
ALL ISSUES CITATION PDF VIEWER THUMBNAILS ZOOMABLE PAGE IMAGE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091701/00029
 Material Information
Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
Uniform Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
Physical Description: Newspaper
Language: English
Creator: Faculty Senate Steering Committee, University of Florida
Publisher: Faculty Senate Steering Committee, University of Florida
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
Publication Date: May 17, 2007
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00091701
Volume ID: VID00029
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.

Downloads

This item has the following downloads:

may%20minutes ( PDF )


Full Text






Faculty Senate Steering Committee
Minutes
May 17, 2007

Attendees: Jerry Cutler
Frank Bova Kim Tanzer
Saeed Khan Sandra Chance
Chris Snodgrass Barbara Wingo
Ellis Greiner Rick Yost
Rebecca Pauly
Mary Ann Burg Guests:
Janie Fouke Dave Denslow
Anita Spring Carol Kem
Carol Murphy John Leavey

Called to order at: 3:00 PM

Chairs report:
As of today the State intends to provide every State employee with a $1,000 bonus and no annual
raise. The UF Graduate Student Council has provided the Chair with their Graduate Student Bill of
rights; the issue was forward to the Research and Scholarship Policy Council.
Brian Beach has contacted the Chair and has asked how the faculty wants to be involved in Gator
Growl. It was decided to refer this back to Aron Weingard, Gator Growl producer.

Provost report:
The Admission process continues on schedule. They will be pulling approximately 60 names from
the wait list. It is anticipated that we will accept 6,600 new freshman students this year.
We will enroll approximate 180-190 national merit scholars this year. This is the first year in which
UF has followed its new national merit stipend program. We will still be in the top 10 percent
nationally. The Provost has created a tentative 2007-2008 Budget assuming a 5 percent tuition
increase. The Governor has not yet signed the bill. UF does intend to award pay increases for
promotions.
The Colleges are continuing with their equity pay analysis.
UF is currently looking for funds to continue the first in family program.
It was started with non-recurring funds and did not get funded by the legislature.
This year the Deans were given 90 percent of last years budget for Summer programs.
The remaining 10 percent was withheld for new program startup. The colleges were asked to apply
for the funds with the goal being new programs to increase summer enrollment. These new courses
or programs were not to be targeted towards increasing existing course enrollments but rather for
new programs.
(note: feedback from Steering to the Provost explained that the information concerning these new
programs did not reach the majority of the faculty.)










The Chair handed out a section from the UF Constitution which explained the charge for the
Steering Committee. The aim was to discuss the recent history and see where changes in structure
and procedure were needed.
Kim Tanzer suggested that John and Carol routinely attend the meeting to help coordinate activities.
The fact that these position may not be held by sitting senators was discussed.

Policy Councils were discussed. Are they working? How should they interact with Committees?
Should Committees report through the Councils to the Senate? It was suggested that the Council
Chairs contact their reporting Committee Chairs and make sure that it is understood that Committee
attendance at the Council meeting is needed. If committee chair cannot attend, then the committee
should elect a faculty representative to attend the Council meetings. Discussions are to continue.
Barbara Wingo will be happy to help with any procedural questions that the Councils may have.


Honorary degree committee:

David and Saeed reported on the committees work. A meeting of those involved in the process was
held and a report of the minutes of the meeting will be forwarded to Steering committee. The
committee feels that
1) faculty should remain involved, 2) that confidentiality need to be maintained throughout the
process. David will report back to Steering prior to the next BOT meeting. It was suggested by Kim
that a set of formal procedures needs to be established so that we are sure that all nominees are
properly vetted and that formal feedback be provided to the Committee prior to any vote by the
Senate body.


Gordon Rule issue:
Anita handed out a memo from the general education committee concerning the Gordon rule. The
APC did not endorse the General education committee's position. The Steering Committee asked for
APC to send back to the general education committee. It was also decided by Steering that the entire
process needs to be proposed, discussed and voted on in a single academic year.

Bova reported on the Budget Council's progress. They will be meeting with the Provost and will be
reporting back on next years budget as soon as a firm budget is in place. The Council will also be
looking for ways to monitor the recently passed Budget resolution throughout the next academic
year.

There was also a discussion of linking the strategic work plan to the current Program Reviews. The
2007 Program reviews are posted on the Provost webpage. Budget will provide a link from the
Budget Council page.


Nominating Committee:
1) getting nominations from the colleges is taking significant amounts of time
2) getting 35 faculty positions for policy councils plus steering takes a lot of time










3) some faculty have given up on the shared gov process
4) there is little or no support at the unit level
5) last year 50% of the names suggested for joint committees were never contacted or acted upon
6) the committee does not understand where the names to fill the joint committees are coming
from.
Steering needs an annual report on the process plus an annual report to the Senate

Unit constitutions: Reports from most colleges are in and are being evaluated by the Chair.

Summer Plans for Steering:
Meetings will be at noon
Dates: June 28th and August 9th

Senate Work day:
August 23. There was a discussion of the best way to structure the workday, if it should be moved to
another day and if there should also be a College Council Day.

APC report:
Issues concerning 'note' services and also faculty requiring that students purchase special note
packets through special arrangements with note supplying companies. Is a formal policy needed?
The APC will look into this further and report back.


Kim Tanzer asked for an update of the status of the LBR submissions. The Chair will report back to
Steering on the process and progress.


Adjourned:




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs