Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
ALL ISSUES CITATION PDF VIEWER THUMBNAILS ZOOMABLE PAGE IMAGE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091701/00024
 Material Information
Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
Uniform Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
Physical Description: Newspaper
Language: English
Creator: Faculty Senate Steering Committee, University of Florida
Publisher: Faculty Senate Steering Committee, University of Florida
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
Publication Date: December 7, 2006
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00091701
Volume ID: VID00024
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.

Downloads

This item has the following downloads:

02006%20December%20minutes%20steering ( PDF )


Full Text


Senate Steering Committee
Minutes
December 7, 2006
3:00 5:00 P.M.
226 Tigert

Attendees: Sandra Change
Danaya Wright Barbara Wingo
Rick Yost Amelia Hugus
Pradeep Kumar
Anita Spring Guests:
Janie Fouke Ken Gerhardt
Peggy Carr Tim Taylor
Kim Tanzer Curt Hannah
Rebecca Pauly Carol Kem
Mary Ann Ferguson John Leavey

The meeting was called to order at 3:02 PM.

The October 26, 2006 minutes were approved.

Reports:

Chair's Report Danaya Wright, Chair
Dr. Wright reported that Allen Preston from the Physical Plant will present an information
item regarding alternative transportation at UF. The alternative transportation options
include rental cars and a taxi service. Bob Jerry will also present information on the Budget
Allocation Committee. Dr. Wright notified the Steering Committee that the Alligator has
created an ombudsman position. The UF Cultural Complex would like to host a Senate
meeting at the Performing Arts center this spring. Dr. Wright also noted that Kyle
Cavanaugh will become the new vice president for Administration and a new Vice President
of Finances will be appointed to oversee all money including monies at Shands, the Athletic
Association and the Foundation.

President's Report Bernie Machen, President

There was not a president's report.


Information Items:
Dispute Resolution Officer Recommendations
Curt Hannah, Member AFTPRSC
Dr. Hannah presented the DRO recommendations. Dr. Machen agreed with these changes.
This item will be information at the December Senate meeting.

Graduate Council Items Ken Gerhardt, Interim Dean Graduate School
o Proposal to sunset three degrees 1. the Master of Civil Engineering with a
major in Civil Engineering 2. the Engineer degree with a major in Civil
Engineering 3. the Engineer degree with a major in Costal and
Oceanographic Engineering
Dr. Gerhardt presented three sunset proposals for degrees in the College of Engineering.
These items will be an information item at the December Senate meeting.








Constitution Committee Tim Taylor, Constitution Committee
o Question regarding the committee's authority to revise Bylaw 4E2 A,B,C
The Steering committee discussed the constitution committee's question about the above
bylaw. Barbara Wingo will review the constitution and note all places where "tenure/tenure
track" should read "faculty."
IT E-mail presentation Marc Hoit, Interim CIO
This item will be presented in January with additional IT issues.
Honorary Degrees Committee Recommendations
John Leavey, Chair Committee on Committees
The steering committee discussed the recommendations of the committee on committees
and the sunshine laws that apply to this committee. In order for the committee to operate
out of the sunshine the committee would have to serve only in a fact finding capacity. The
honorary degree committee would need to discuss how to alter their process to achieve this.
Barbara Wingo will work with the Honorary Degrees committee to make changes to their
internal procedures to gain better Presidential input earlier in the process.
Provost Budget Allocation Committee
Bob Jerry, Chair Budget Allocation Committee
This item will be an information item in December.
Minus Grades Anita Spring, Chair Academic Policy Council
Anita Spring updated the steering committee on the minus grades issue which will be
presented to the Senate as an action item in December.

Council Reports:

Budgeting Council 5 min Frank Bova, Chair
There was not a budget council report.
Research Council 5 min Mary Ann Burg, Chair
The research council has begun discussing effort reporting. Dr. Fouke noted that she has
heard that new software developed for effort reporting is not useable for faculty.
Academic Infrastructure Council 5 min Peggy Carr, Chair
The Infrastructure council is looking into IT issues and talking to Academic Technologies
about classroom technologies. Dr. Carr reported that the cultural plaza is interested in
hosting a Senate meeting. The Steering committee requested that the Infrastructure council
look into equipment rooms that close at 5 PM despite classes that use technology are held
after 5 PM.
Faculty Welfare Council 5 min Rebecca Pauly, Chair
The Welfare council reviewed the tenure survey results and found that problems are most
often related to the timeline. The council also reviewed the climate survey, Sloan award
implementation and childcare at UF.
Academic Policy Council 5 min Anita Spring, Chair
The APC discussed the strategic work plan with the council. They will also review the
president's long range goals and assess whether the strategic work plan is in sync with his
goals.

The Senate agenda for the December 14, 2006 meeting was approved.

It was decided that the Welfare Council would consider the issue of whether the APB needs
to review the P and T files for IFAS extension agents.


The meeting adjourned at 5:23 PM




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs