Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
ALL ISSUES CITATION PDF VIEWER THUMBNAILS ZOOMABLE PAGE IMAGE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091701/00021
 Material Information
Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
Uniform Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
Physical Description: Newspaper
Language: English
Creator: Faculty Senate Steering Committee, University of Florida
Publisher: Faculty Senate Steering Committee, University of Florida
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
Publication Date: October 5, 2006
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00091701
Volume ID: VID00021
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.

Downloads

This item has the following downloads:

October%205%202006%20minutes%20steering ( PDF )


Full Text




Senate Steering Committee
Minutes
October 5, 2006
3:00 5:00 P.M.
226 Tigert



The meeting was called to order at 3:03 PM
The minutes of the September 14, 2006 minutes were approved.

Attendees: Chris Snodgrass
Rick Yost Frank Bova
Anita Spring Sandra Chance
Barbara Wingo Janie Fouke
Danaya Wright Amelia Hugus
Bernie Machen
Kim Tanzer Guests:
Mary Ann Burg John Leavey
Rebecca Pauly Tim Taylor
Peggy Carr Curt Hannah
Pradeep Kumar

Reports:

Chair's Report Danaya Wright, Chair
Dr. Wright deferred the chair's report until after the general business has been completed.
President's Report Bernie Machen, President
Dr. Machen reported that he will work with the Welfare Council to review the questions of
the past climate surveys in order to determine which questions need to be kept, changed,
added or removed for the upcoming climate survey. The survey will be administered in
January or February 2007. The survey was originally postponed because the faculty wanted
to include questions on shared governance and career flexibility. Dr. Machen would like the
Senate to develop a process for updating the work plan as necessary. Dr. Machen will be
talking to Kyle Cavanaugh about the DRO proposal and the grievance procedure timeline
proposals.

President's Open Floor Discussion: Bernie Machen, President

There was not an open floor discussion with the President.

Council Reports:

Budgeting Council Frank Bova, Chair
Dr. Bova reported that the budget council met with Dean Sullivan to discuss the CLAS
situation. The council would like to ensure that whatever policies are established by CLAS
are implemented. The CLAS budget was last balanced in 2002-2003.
Research Council Mary Ann Burg, Chair
The research council met and discussed the effort reporting system. The council will review
the policies and procedures regarding the creation and sunsetting of centers and institutes at








the next meeting. The council will also review issues regarding funded research and
scholarship.
Academic Infrastructure Council Peggy Carr, Chair
The infrastructure council held a joint meeting with the university library committee to
discuss the library task force. The council would like Dean Harrison to present a report of
the committee's progress at the upcoming Senate meeting about the task force. The council
will follow up with IFAS regarding deferred maintenance and meet with the sustainability
committee.
Faculty Welfare Council Rebecca Pauly, Chair
Dr. Pauly distributed highlights of the tenure and promotion survey. The council is
concerned that committee members seemed unaware of the process despite available
workshops. The council would like to publish deadlines as well as a timeline for when
decisions about tenure and promotion should be available. The council will also review the
faculty climate survey.
Academic Policy Council Anita Spring, Chair
The policy council will further review minus grades at the upcoming meeting. Eleven out of
16 colleges support minus grades, two do not support minus grades and four are undecided.
The council hopes to have a recommendation to bring to the Senate as an information item
in November. The council will work on determining a process for continued revisions to the
strategic work plan. The council will also review the honor code and make recommendations
for revisions to acknowledge electronic cheating.

Information Items:
Role of Steering Committee in Facilitating Senate Processes
Kim Tanzer, Past Chair
Professor Tanzer distributed a document containing information about senate processes
relating to filling vacancies and appointing ad-hoc committees.
Nominating Committee Structure and Honorary Degrees Recommendations
John Leavey, Committee on Committees Chair
Dr. Leavey presented the COC's recommendations regarding the Honorary Degrees
committee which is to split the committee into one Senate and one Presidential committee.
The Senate committee would deal only with Honorary Degrees and the presidential
committee would handle all of the other tasks. This issue will be discussed again at the next
meeting. He also reported on the committee's recommendation that the nominating
committee be increased in size from four to six elected faculty members.
AFTPRSC Grievance Recommendations and DRO job description
Curt Hannah, AFTPRSC member
Dr. Hannah presented two items from the AFTPRSC. The first is moving forward with the
DRO recommendations and the second is about the grievance timeline. These issues will not
move forward until November after the Steering committee has a response from Dr.
Machen and Kyle Cavanaugh as to their preferences regarding these items.
Name Change: Department of Decision and Information Sciences to the
Department of Information Systems and Operations Management from the
Curriculum Committee
Sheila Dickison, Curriculum Committee Chair
Dr. Dickison presented a name change request. The item will be presented at the October
Senate meeting as an information item.

Compensation Committee Language
Tim Taylor, Constitution Committee Chair








Dr. Taylor presented proposed compensation committee language based on the COC's
recommendations. Barbara Wingo suggested changing the ex officio terminology to
representative. This item will be an information item in November.

The following issues were not discussed. The steering committee will meet on October 12,
2006 to discuss the following items.

CLAS Resolution Danaya Wright, Chair
Library Closing for Games Danaya Wright, Chair


The steering committee approved a proposal to move the November Senate meeting to
November 16th to avoid the Veteran's day holiday weekend.

Action Items:

Approval of Senate Agenda for the October 19, 2006 meeting
Danaya Wright, Chair
Approval of the Senate agenda is deferred until a special steering committee meeting on
October 12, 2006.


Adjourned at 5:05 PM




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs