Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
Full Citation
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091701/00006
 Material Information
Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
Uniform Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
Physical Description: Newspaper
Language: English
Creator: Faculty Senate Steering Committee, University of Florida
Publisher: Faculty Senate Steering Committee, University of Florida
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
Publication Date: September 15, 2005
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00091701
Volume ID: VID00006
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.


This item has the following downloads:

20050915minutes ( PDF )

Full Text

Senate Steering Committee
September 15, 2005
3:00 -5:00 P.M.
202 Tigert

Approval of August 11, 2005 minutes
Chair's Report
Information Items
Action Items
Council Reports

Frank Bova
Robert Cousins
Mike Katovich
Saeed Khan
Pradeep Kumar
Scott Nygren
Rick Ragan
Kim Tanzer
Barbara Wingo
Danaya Wright

Sheila Dickison
Andy McCollough

Sandra Chance
Janie Fouke
Bernie Machen
Jack Mecholsky
Pierre Ramond


The Meeting was called to order at 3:00 P.M. by Kim Tanzer

Approval of Minutes:

Kim Tanzer

The minutes from the August 11, 2005 meeting were unanimously approved.

Chair's Report:

Kim Tanzer

Professor Tanzer reported on the progress of the Faculty Senate newsletter, Academics.
She also talked about creating a listserv for faculty to join so that faculty members can easily
and openly communicate with other faculty members.

Professor Tanzer updated the committee on the Shared Governance Task-force meeting.
The committee will work with the Provost's office to bring in a guest speaker from a
university with a strong shared governance program. This speaker will help the task force
create a workable plan for shared governance at UF.

Conversations About....University Budget will be held on Sept. 26, 2005 at 8:00 A.M. Ed
Poppell will talk about the University Budget.

Group One elections are being conducted. This is the first election for Group One. Four
senators will represent the group. The elections will end of Sept. 20, 2005.

Committee vacancies were filled from submitted nominations. The current membership
diversity/ nominee diversity matrix was used to appoint members.

Motion to draft a letter in response to the Kayne West A..,' t cartoon was approved
unanimously. The letter will be written on behalf of the Senate.

Information Items:

Conversations About...University Budget
Dr. King was not available to speak to the committee.

New Orleans Disasters' Effect on Universities and Colleges
Dr. Fouke was not available to speak to the committee

Curriculum Changes Sheila Dickison, University Curriculum Committee

Sheila Dickison reviewed items approved by the UCC that will be brought to the Faculty
Senate as Information Items at the Sept. 22, 2005 meeting. The informational material is on
the Web site.

The proposed changes to college graduations are being reviewed by the Provost. The new
schedule will not take away a day of instruction.

Andy McCollough, Chair of the General Education Council reported to the committee on
two general education requirement changes.

The recommendations for 3 credits of each International and Diversity courses and a
minimum grade of a C in general education courses were both approved by the UCC last

Action Items:

The agenda for the Faculty Senate Meeting was approved.
There will be an opportunity for an open floor discussion at the end of the meeting, as time
permits. Each speaker will have 3 minutes. The floor will be open to Senators first.

Council Reports:

Budgeting Council Frank Bova

The Budget Council is creating a plan to inform senators about budget decisions to be made
in the summer. The council will develop various scenarios for senators to determine an ideal
solution if the administration has multiple budgetary plans for consideration.

Faculty Welfare Council

Mike Katovich

The council will meet on Sept. 23, 2005. The council is working on the assigned tasks and
will talk to Kyle Cavanaugh about the upcoming year. The Senate will hear the
accomplishments of report before the Winter holiday break.

Research Council Saeed Khan
The research council will meet to discuss PeopleSoft. There are three groups of
administrators looking at the PeopleSoft issue. The council is working with issues that
directly affect research and scholarship.

Infrastructure Council Scott Nygren
The Infrastructure Council has scheduled meetings for the Fall. The council will discuss
Parking and Transportation, and meet with representatives of the International Center to
discuss infrastructure and support for international programs. The council is also working
on Arts and Humanities Visualization Technology as a model for IT cooperation with
faculty. Linda Dixon will present a report on the Master Plan at the Sept. 29, 2005,
meeting. The council would like to have Linda Dixon speak to the senate at the October
meeting. The proposed report would be 10 minutes with 5 minutes for questions.

The meeting was adjourned at 5:00 P.M.

University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs