Report on newspaper holdings in the state submitted October 1995
by P. Mason, coordinator, Florida Newspaper Project
(10 counties, 196 database records, 38 newspapers currently publishing)
Bay County was created in 1913 and comprises a resort area on the Gulf of
Mexico. Its county seat is Panama City.
30 database records. Almost all the titles are published in Panama City, but
Lynn Haven and St. Andrews are also represented. There are three titles for
Tyndall Air Force Base. UMI has microfilmed the Panama City News-Herald
and its predecessors back to 1935.
Recommendation is to microfilm issues of the St. Andrews Buoy held by the
Bay County Public Library, 1893-1900 if these differ from the scattered issues
already microfilmed by the University of Florida in this period, and to
microfilm 1916-1917 of the Bay County Beacon Tribune. There is microfilm
for the latter, 1918-1926, at the University of Florida; the Bay County Public
Library has issues from July 1916 to March 1923, and there are similar
holdings at the University of West Florida. The Lynn Haven Citizen for 26
Apr 1919 to Jan 1920 held by the Bay County Public Library also needs to be
microfilmed, and the relation of this title with other area titles needs to be
Calhoun County, on the map since 1838, comprises the mid-section of the
eastern portion of the Panhandle area. Its only sizeable town and county seat
3 database records for two newspapers from the 1940s in Altha and one from
Blountstown. The County Record of Blountstown has been microfilmed
since 1952 by the University of Florida for its P. K. Yonge Collection. One of
the two Altha titles is represented by a single issue only; the other has been
microfilmed by the University of Florida (1947-1948).
Recommendation is to microfilm issues of the County Record from 1921 held
by the University of West Florida if the run is reasonably complete, collate
with microfilm at the University of Florida.
* Escambia County is the westernmost county in the state and was one of only
two counties for all of Florida when established in 1821. The county seat is
74 database records, including records for sixty-three newspapers published in
Pensacola, twenty-eight of which are from the nineteenth century. There are
four African-American titles, four military titles, and the labor press is also
represented to some extent.
Recommendation is to consider microfilming a string of titles that are
apparently related even though the connections are not always dear. The
weekly Pensacola Herald was published from 1929 to an unknown time by W.
R. Helie. By 1946, Mr. Helie was publishing a weekly, called the West Florida
Press in Brownsville, just west of Pensacola. In 1949 this title became known
as the Escambia County Press. The Warrington Sun was a weekly in another
nearby community from about 1949 to 1960 when it was merged with the
Escambia County Press to form the Escambia Sun Press, which is still
published. The University of West Florida has holdings of all these titles,
none of which has been microfilmed. One caveat is that filming begun
should be continued.
Most runs of Pensacola titles are already microfilmed, and few papers
have been published outside the Pensacola area. Notably, the Molino
Advertiser published from 1912 to an unknown date. The University of West
Florida has vols. 3-6, 1915-1918, which need to be microfilmed. Molino is
roughly halfway between Pensacola and Alabama.
Among the military titles, the Corryer was published from the late
1940s to the early 1960s, when the name was changed to the Corry Log, which
is still published. The public affairs officer at Corry Station presumes a
complete run of back issues, which are stored in filing cabinets. The
Pensacola News-Tournal (Gannett) prints Gosport, published since 1936. The
Pensacola Naval Air Station Library has bound volumes and microfiche of
this and the earlier Air Station News, which dates from 1921.
* Gulf County was the southern half of Calhoun County prior to 1925. Its
notable towns are Port St. Joe, the county seat, and Wewahitchka.
6 database records for newspapers mostly represented by only a few issues and
Recommendation is to ascertain holdings for two titles and to microfilm any
previously unfilmed runs. The Gulf County Breeze of Wewahitchka has
been filmed continuously by the University of Florida since 1946, which also
has microfilm of a few earlier issues. However, the publisher claims a
complete run from 1905. The Star of Port St. Joe has been microfilmed by the
University of Florida since 1970, but the publisher reports bound volumes
back to the 1940s
* Holmes County, established in 1848, borders Alabama on the north. Its
county seat is Bonifay.
3 database records for newspapers published in Bonifay, although one is
published for Washington County, apparently in response to competition
from across the county line. Woodham Family Newspapers publishes both
the Holmes County Advertiser and the Washington County Post which dates
only from 1992. The Holmes County Times, whose publisher also produces
the Washington County News, dates from 1989. The Advertiser appears to
have been microfilmed by both the University of West Florida (1898-1901,
1903-1905, 1907-1908, 1910-1924, 1926-1939, 1942-1947, 1961, 1963, 1973, 1975) and
the University of Florida (1936-1941, 1947-1900).
Recommendation is to collate microfilm of the Holmes County Advertiser at
the University of West Florida with that at the University of Florida.
* Jackson County, established in 1822, borders Alabama on the north, Georgia
on the east. Its county seat is Marianna.
18 database records, including one for an Army paper from World War II and
two for nineteenth-century titles that have been preserved. All but four titles
are from Marianna, including the paper microfilmed from 1929 to the present
for the University of Florida's P. K. Yonge Collection.
Recommendation is to consider microfilming two short runs from Marianna
for 1912 (Jackson Leader) and 1922-1923 (Tackson Democrat). Both these titles
are held by the University of West Florida. No title in Jackson County from
outside Marianna has been preserved, and the Graceville News appears a
likely candidate. Graceville is about twenty miles northwest of Marianna,
right on the Alabama border. The University of West Florida has issues of
the Graceville News from the 1920s to present, and one issue of its
predecessor, the Graceville Advertiser. There may also be issues held by the
publisher and town residents.
* Okaloosa County is west of Walton County and also extends from the
Alabama line to the Gulf, Established in 1915 with Crestview as the county
seat, Okaloosa is one of three Panhandle counties with a daily newspaper, the
Northwest Florida Daily News of Fort Walton Beach.
33 database records, including eight for ongoing publications and five for
military titles, one of which was published monthly by German prisoners of
war in the 1940s. About half of the newspapers date only from the latter half
of the twentieth century.
Recommendation is to microfilm seven titles three from Laurel Hill, two
from Crestview, one from Camp Walton, and one from Valparaiso. Laurel
Hill is just south of the Alabama state line; its three titles date from the early
twentieth century. The University of West Florida is said to have vols. 6-7 of
the Gazette (1906-1907), issues from 1907 of Our Southern Home, and vols. 3-5
of the Laurel Hill News (1912-1914). The Valparaiso Historical Society holds
1926-1927 of the Spray published at Camp Walton; 1930-1946 of the Okaloosa
Messenger; and 1916-1918 of the County Tournal, both published in Crestview.
It also holds scattered issues of the Valparaiso News, 1936-1938.
* Santa Rosa County was established in 1842, borders Alabama on the north,
the Gulf of Mexico to the south. Milton, the county seat, is across the bay and
north of Pensacola; Gulf Breeze is on the bay adjacent to Pensacola Beach,
Whiting Naval Air Station is northeast of Milton, and Jay is close to the
23 database records, including four for titles from the nineteenth century
published in Milton. Two papers are currently published in Gulf Breeze; both
are fairly recent, and one is owned by Gannett. No paper is currently
published in Jay; the four known former papers appear to have been of brief
duration and from the latter half of the twentieth century. All remaining
papers have been published in Milton, except for the single military title.
Recommendation is to microfilm the Whiting Tower, held in newsprint
form from the 1940s forward by the University of West Florida and the naval
air station. Consideration may be given also to the Tay Tribune, 1938-1941
(vols. 1-2), and Santa Rosa Star, 1906, 1908, 1910. Both of these are held by the
University of West Florida.
The Milton Gazette and subsequent permutations to the current Press-
Gazette have been microfilmed by the P. K. Yonge Collection of the
University of F orida from 1920 forward, and the State Library has microfilm
from 1910-1914j but unfilmed issues at the University of West Florida (1910-
1952) need to be microfilmed to fill in missing issues and complete the run
from 1915 to 1919. If the related Santa Rosa Press held by the University of
West Florida (1949-1952, vols 1-3) is unfilmed elsewhere, it should be
Low priority, but notable: High school newspapers were not surveyed, but the
University of West Florida reports substantial holdings of the Panther's Tale,
a high school paper published in Milton (1949-1955, 1958-1963, 1965-1967). It
may well be worth a closer look.
* Walton County, was created in 1824 and runs from the Alabama line to the
Gulf of Mexico. It is largely given over to'Eglin Air Force Base, along with
neighboring Okaloosa County. DeFuniak Springs is the county seat and only
town of note.
5 database records, all for newspapers published in DeFuniak Springs and two
represented by only a single issue.
Recommendation is to fill in gaps for the two major newspapers in DeFuniak
Springs, now merged. The DeFuniak Springs Breeze, also known as the
Breeze and Walton County Breeze, began publication in 1892, merging with
the DeFuniak Herald to form the DeFuniak Herald-Breeze in 1956. Now
known simply as the DeFuniak Herald again since 1986, this main title began
publishing in 1893 and has absorbed several competitors over the years,
including the DeFuniak Springs Signal also known as the Walton Signal,
which dates from 1882 and which was absorbed in 1895. The present Herald
is published by Woodham Family Newspapers, which publishes five other
papers in the Panhandle.
Unfilmed issues of the Breeze titles include a single issue at the Florida
Historical Society from 1892, scattered runs at the University of West Florida
from 1902-1903, 1912, 1918-1921, 1935, 1942-1943. Unfilmed issues of the
Herald titles include vol. 4 (1897) held by the University of West Florida along
with scattered issues from 1914 forward, and bound volumes at the State
Library and Walton County Courthouse for 1910-1916. Both the Breeze and
Herald titles have been microfilmed for most other years by the University of
Florida, which currently films the DeFuniak Herald as part of its P. K. Yonge
* Washington County, established in 1825, is another sparsely populated mid-
section county. Chipley is its largest town and the county seat.
4 database records, all for newspapers published in Chipley The University
of Florida has microfilm of the Washington County News (which absorbed
the Chipley Banner in 1943) from 1931 forward. One of the remaining two
titles is represented by a single microfilmed issue, and the other dates from
the 1970s. The Washington County Post has been published from Holmes
County since 1992.
Recommendation is to verify that the University of West Florida holds loose
issues of the Chipley Banner from 1892 to 1943 and microfilm any substantial
runs that have not been previously microfilmed by the University of Florida.
(The University of Florida has microfilm of 1893-1900, 1903-1904, 1910-1917,
(26 counties, 448 database records, 75 newspapers currently publishing)
Alachua County is in north central Florida, almost equidistant from both
coasts and the Georgia state line. Dating from 1824, the county has numerous
small towns with a thriving sense of community and separation from
Gainesville, the county seat and location for the University of Florida.
49 database records, twenty-two of them for newspapers dating from the
nineteenth century. The diversity of titles in the county is notable. Most
titles are from Gainesville, but the towns of Micanopy, Newberry, Waldo,
Melrose, Alachua, Newnansville, and High Springs are represented as well.
There is also a range of publication types agricultural, alternative, military,
ethnic, political, collegiate.
Recommendation is to consider microfilming the monthly Florida Bulletin
published by the Florida Federation of Women's Clubs. Jacksonville Public
Libraries have bound volumes from September 1921 to October 1926, vols. 1-6.
Microfilm of the Gainesville Weekly Sun and Bee and the Weekly Bee at the
University of Florida needs to be checked cosed with the "nearly complete"
run of the Gainesville Weekly Sun and Bee held by the Florida Historical
Society (December 1880 to October 1881) and its run of the Weekly Bee from
November 1881 to April 1882. Finally, some consideration of the High
Springs Herald, published since 1952, may be appropriate since no other
county paper outside of Gainesville is known for this period. The paper was
given first place for general excellence in its class by the Florida Press
Association in 1993. The publisher reports a complete run.
* Baker County abuts the Georgia line to the north and east and contains a
portion of the Okefenokee Swamp, a portion of the Osceola National Forest.
It dates from 1861, and the county seat is Macclenny.
8 database records, half for newspapers from the nineteenth century. The
Baker County Press published since 1929 has been microfilmed by the
University of Florida since 1931.
Recommendation is to encourage future preservation of the three unfilmed
issues of the Baker County Sentinel and two issues of the Baker County Star
held by the Orange County Library, Other issues of these early titles have
* Bradford County is northeast of Alachua County, dates from 1858. Starke is
the county seat.
9 database records, including three for military titles published at Camp
Blanding during World War II (one named Alabam). There is one
nineteenth-century title from Hampton, and five titles from Starke, including
the Bradford County Telegraph, which appears to be the state's oldest
continuously published weekly. The University of Florida and other
institutions have microfilm and scattered originals of the latter title from
Recommendation is to encourage preservation of the three surviving issues
of the Florida School Room from 1896-1897 held by Florida State University,
the sole surviving issue of Blood and Fire held by the State Library (9 June
1943), and any previously unfilmed issues of the Bradford County Telegraph
and its variant titles.
* Clay County is southwest of Jacksonville. It also dates from 1858. The
county seat is Green Cove Springs.
7 database records, including one for Clay Today, which is actually published
in Orange Park just across the county line. Among the remaining six
newspapers are two military titles from World War II, one nineteenth-
century title, and the Clay County Crescent of Green Cove Springs,
microfilmed since 1946 for the University of Florida's P. K. Yonge Collection.
The current publishers of the Clay County Crescent and Clay Today are
affiliated with Journal Communications of Milwaukee.
Recommendation is to ascertain whether the publisher of the Lake Region
Monitor of Keystone Heights has holdings. This current publication has not
been collected or microfilmed anywhere so far as is known. The present
publisher of Clay Today reports issues back to the 1940s in storage, and these
holdings need to be identified and verified as well.
* Columbia County dates from 1832, borders Alachua County on the
northwest, and extends up to the Georgia state line. The county seat is Lake
12 database records, all but one for newspapers published in Lake City. All but
three titles date from the nineteenth century, and several are related. One of
the more interesting titles is Institute Echoes published by the Girls of the
Lake City Institute.
Recommendation, None. Surviving titles are largely microfilmed; the Lake
City Reporter is preserved from the nineteenth century to the present.
* Dixie County, on the Gulf of Mexico, is represented by a single title, the
Dixie County Advocate, microfilmed by the University of Florida since 1946.
Dixie is a sparsely populated county that dates from 1921. The county seat is
* Duval County has boundaries identical with the Jacksonville metropolitan
area, and almost all titles list Jacksonville, the county seat, as the place of
publication. Duval County was established in 1822.
103 database records, including forty for newspapers from the nineteenth
century, fourteen from Civil War and Reconstruction times. Thirty-seven
titles have "Florida" in the name; this identification of papers with the state
was particularly popular in the last century. There are nine agricultural titles,
eight military titles, and five business titles. Counting the Star edition of the
Times-Union "for and about Negroes," there are eleven African-American
titles. The only other ethnic tides are the Southern Jewish Weekly and the
Syrian Lebanese Star, both microfilmed by the University of Florida. There is
rumor of a Spanish-language edition of the Times-Union and Citizen in the
last century (notice in the Tasper News, 3 Feb 1899).
Recommendation is to consider microfilming parts of several of the
agricultural titles, one military title, two business title, and three other runs of
papers more than fifty years old. The agricultural titles are:
* Farm and Live Stock Record Jacksonville Public Libraries have bound
volumes from March 1921 to September 1933 (vols. 26-40). There are no other
* Farmer and Stockman Jacksonville Public Libraries have loose issues
running from 25 January 1919 to 1 November 1924 (vols. 21-27). There are no
other known holdings.
* Florida Agriculturalist Jacksonville Public Libraries have bound volumes
from 21 May 1879 to Mar 1908. The State Library has scattered loose issues
running from December 1890 to March 1906, and Rollins College has loose
issues from 1898 to 1907. There is microfilm of fewer than ten scattered issues
at the University of Florida and State Library.
* Florida Dispatch UMI offers microfilm of 1882-1888, and the University of
Florida has microfilm for 1877-1880, 1881-1882, but there are bound volumes
at Jacksonville Public Libraries (1877-1895) and the Orange County Library
(1877-1886). Recommendation is to fill in gaps in previous microfilm by
checking filmed issues against these bound volumes and to microfilm
previously unfilmed years, presumably 1890-1895. Microfilm held for the
Florida Dispatch and Florida Farmer and Fruit Grower needs to be checked as
well; see below.
* Florida Dispatch and Florida Farmer and Fruit Grower If the bound
volumes at Jacksonville Public Libraries and Orange County Library, 1891-
1893, have not been previously microfilmed, they should be.
* Florida Farmer Jacksonville Public Libraries have bound volumes from
January 1925 to December 1930 (vols. 27-33). There are no other known
NOTE: It's possible that some of the state's agricultural titles can be
microfilmed under the National Preservation Program for Agricultural
Literature. This program is funded by NEH; a proposal has been submitted by
Cornell University on behalf of the U.S. Agricultural Information Network
and nine land-grant universities, including the University of Florida.
The military title recommended for microfilming is the Tax Air News,
which began publication in 1942. The State Library has microfilm of this title
from 9 September 1943 to 7 February 1946, and the University of Florida has
microfilm of 1957-1973, 1979-present. The newspaper office claims a complete
run, which should be microfilmed as necessary to close gaps; i.e., 1942-1943,
The two business titles recommended for microfilming are the Tournal
of Commerce, published monthly by J. W. White, and the Florida
Commercial. Jacksonville Public Libraries have bound volumes of the
Journal of Commerce from 10 May 1893 to September 1898 (vols. 1-7), of the
Florida Commercial from 17 May 1929 to 23 April 1930 (vols. 1-2). There are
no other known holdings.
The remaining recommended titles are the Florida Beacon, the Florida
Weekly Times (a precursor to the present Times-Union), and Oracle News.
Scattered issues of the Florida Beacon have been microfilmed, 1932-1947, but
Jacksonville Public Libraries have bound volumes from 8 May 1931 to 29
April 1932. For the Florida Weekly Times, Florida State University reports
bound volumes for 1865-1866; the University of Florida has scattered issues of
this title on microfilm from 1865 forward, and this needs to be checked
against the original newsprint to ascertain necessary filming to complete the
run. Jacksonville Public Libraries have bound volumes of the Oracle News
from 24 November 1919 to March 1922 (vols. 2-5). There are no other known
* Flagler County, established 1917 with Bunnell as the county seat, is south of
St. Augustine on the Atlantic Coast. There are only three titles, and they are
related.. The St. John's Tribune, Flagler Tribune, and Flagler/Palm Coast
News Tribune run sequentially. The University of Florida has microfilmed
the last two titles since 1955, but the present publisher claims issues back to
1918, and the St. Augustine Historical Society reports 4-25 June 1915 of the St.
John's Tribune. All unfilmed runs need to be microfilmed.
* Franklin County, established 1832, borders the Panhandle on the Gulf of
Mexico. Apalachicola, the county seat, and Carrabelle are the major towns.
13 database records, eight for newspapers from the nineteenth century. Three
titles are represented by a single issue, and there is one military title from
World War II Amphibian published by the Army Service Forces Training
Recommendation is to encourage future preservation of any previously
unfilmed issues located. Most titles and issues have already been
* Gadsden County borders southwestern Georgia, was created in 1823. Its
major towns are Chattahoochee, Havana, and Quincy, the county seat.
17 database records, thirteen for newspapers published in Quincy, three in
Chattahoochee, and one in Havana. Ten of the Quincy titles date from the
nineteenth century, when the town was comparable to Tallahassee and other
centers of population, government, and culture.
Recommendation is to consider microfilming the Havana Herald. No
newspaper has ever been collected from Havana, so far as is known, and the
publisher reports bound volumes from 1948 to the present. Similar
consideration may be given to Twin City News of Chattahoochee. Two of the
Chattahoochee newspapers have been microfilmed to some extent (the
Chattahoochee Bulletin for December 1936 May 1937, the River Junction
Tribune for 1935-1937, 1940-1941), but there has been no subsequent collection
or preservation. The publisher of the Twin City News reports bound
volumes from 1950 forward. All other known Gadsden County newspapers
are preserved, although there are eleven unfilmed issues of the Quincy
Journal from the 1870s and four unfilmed issues of the Quincy New Era from
the 1890s at the State Library. If microfilmed, these would need to be
collated with existing microfilm. If begun, microfilming of the Havana
Herald should continue.
* Gilchrist County is west of Alachua County, dates from 1925. There is only
one known title from the area, the Gilchrist County Tournal published in
Trenton, the county seat. It has been microfilmed by the University of Florida
almost continuously since 1934. (Only 1936, 1942, and 1952 are missing.)
* Hamilton County, established 1827, borders Georgia on the north, the
Suwannee River on the south and east. The county seat is Jasper.
3 titles are known for the county. The only one currently publishing is the
Tasper News. Published continuously from at least 1890, this title has been
microfilmed from the turn of the century, but there is a large gap in the 1930s
Recommendation: Microfilm the bound volumes going back to 1934 at the
Jasper News office up to 1948, when the University of Florida began
microfilming the title on an ongoing basis for its P. K. Yonge Collection.
* Jefferson County, established 1827, is east of Tallahassee and runs from the
Georgia state line to the Gulf of Mexico. Monticello is the county seat and
only town of note.
4 titles, all in Monticello, all related. Surviving issues of the Family Friend
(1859-1868), the Monticello Advertiser (1869-1874), and the Constitution (1874-
1903) are mostly microfilmed. The subsequent Monticello News has been
microfilmed 1925-1941 and 1945 to the present by the University of Florida.
Recommendation is tomicrofilm loose issues and bound volumes of the
Monticello News held by the State Library, 1906-1907, 1913, 1915-1924.
* Lafayette County is bordered by the Suwannee River on the east as it
continues southward. The county, which was created in 1856, is represented
by a single title published at the county seat. The Mayo Free Press, published
since 1890, has been microfilmed for the University of Florida's P. K. Yonge
Collection back to 1940. Earlier volumes held by the State Library and the
newspaper office are being microfilmed on an emergency basis during the
current phase of the Florida Newspaper Project.
* Leon County, like Gadsden County, borders southwestern Georgia.
Established in 1824, it is notable for Tallahassee, the state capital and county
63 database records, all but one for newspapers published in Tallahassee.
Twenty-one titles date from the nineteenth century, but only two of these
cover Civil War and Reconstruction times. There are two government
papers, three representatives of the labor press, and seven collegiate titles.
Recommendation is to microfilm related titles published at Florida A & M
University (FAMU), one of the state's historically black schools. These
representatives of the collegiate and African-American press are: The College
Arms published by the then Florida State Normal and Industrial School from
1886 to about 1926. FAMU holds scattered issues, 1900-1926. The Weekly
News continues the College Arms, and the change of name may have
coincided with the institution's name change. FAMU has a complete run
from November 1928 to April 1933. Scattered runs of the subsequent
Famcean are held by FAMU from 1933 to 1955, and there is also an
incomplete run of the present FAMUan from 1958 forward.
The only other African-American newspaper collected from
Tallahassee is also in need of microfilming. Capital Outlook has been
published weekly since 1975 and has been collected by the State Library since
1977. The State Historical Society of Wisconsin has microfilm from
September-October 1990 and from 1992 forward.
Tallahassee papers dating from before 1950 are mostly microfilmed.
An exception is the State, published weekly 1931-1937. The State Library has
scattered issues from 29 May 1931 to 18 Sept 1935. These need to be filmed and
collated with the microfilm of two issues from 1932 held by the University of
Florida and Florida State University.
*Levy County, created in 1845, is southeast of the Suwannee River as it flows
into the Gulf of Mexico. The major towns are Cedar Key, Williston,
Chiefland, and Bronson, the county seat. All of these towns have been more
active in newspaper publishing than their small size might indicate..Levy
County itself if large, one of three North Florida counties of more than a
19 database records, nine for nineteenth-century titles; four newspapers are
presently publishing in the county.
Recommendation is to encourage future preservation of the Cedar Key
Beacon, published and collected since 1983, the Chiefland Citizen, published
since 1950 and collected since 1973, and the Williston Sun-News and its
unfilmed predecessors going back to at least the 1960s The University of
Florida has microfilmed the Levy County Tournal of Bronson since the 1940s.
* Liberty County is north of Franklin County, south of Gadsden County. All
lie below southwestern Georgia on the eastern bank of the Apalachicola
River. Liberty County dates from 1856; the county seat is Bristol.
2 primary titles with four related titles. The only paper currently published in
the county is the Calhoun-Liberty Journal, which has been microfilmed by the
University of Florida since 1986 when the Bristol Free Press ceased
publication. The latter title was microfilmed 1932-1986 for the P. K. Yonge
* Madison County, established 1827, is east of Tallahassee, bordering the
Georgia state line. Its county seat is also named Madison.
8 titles, all published in Madison. The current Madison Enterprise-Recorder
has been microfilmed by the University of Florida back to 1909. One of its
immediate predecessors, the New Enterprise, has been microfilmed from
September 1901 to June 1908. Scattered issues of the Madison Recorder have
been preserved from 1876 to 1901.
Recommendation is to verify that all surviving issues of the Madison
Recorder from the nineteenth century have been microfilmed. Holdings
need to be collated. It is also recommended that consideration be given to the
preservation of the Madison County Carrier, published twice a week since
1964. The publisher claims a full run stored at various locations, including
his home and the newspaper office, but it's doubtful that this will remain the
case indefinitely. Other titles are already microfilmed.
eMarion County dates from 1844, is south of Gainesville, and is notable for
Ocala, the county seat, and Silver Springs.
33 database records, twenty-three for newspapers from the nineteenth
century. Twenty-one newspapers published from Ocala. Dunnellon is
represented by three titles, Leroy by three, Silver Springs by three. Kerr City,
McIntosh, and Belleview are also represented. One African-American
newspaper is among the four titles currently published in the county.
Recommendation is to'microfilm the bound volumes of the Dunnellon Sun
held by the Dunnellon Public Library. These date from 1936-1940, 1942-1948
and are the only known surviving issues of the title. Future consideration is
also recommended for the Voice of South Marion, published in Belleview.
The publisher claims a complete run from 1969, and there are no other
* Nassau County, established 1824, is in the far northeastern corer of the
state, bordering Georgia on the north and west. Fernandina Beach, one of the
oldest settlements in the state, is the county seat.
22 database records, more than half for nineteenth-century titles and sixteen
published in Fernandina. The complexity of the early titles, which frequently
moved to and from Jacksonville, Palatka, St. Augustine, and Gainesville, is
reflected in the lineage of the current News Leader in Fernandina. This
newspaper claimed association with eighteen previous titles in 1963 when its
name became the Fernandina Beach News-Leader. It has been the News
Leader since its 1972 purchase by the New York Times Co., which owns ten
papers in the state.
Recommendation is to ascertain holdings of unfilmed partial runs within the
News Leader lineage dating from before 1949 when the University of Florida
began microfilming the Fernandina News-Leader for its P. K. Yonge
Collection. All related titles need to be identified and the material collated
There are bound volumes of the Fernandina News at the Fernandina
Public Library and present newspaper office for 1 Jan 1942 31 Oct 1943,
scattered issues at the Amelia Island Museum of History, including thirty-
eight from 1941 and others from 1946-1948. The Orange County Library
reports issues of the News from vols. 25, 28, 40, and 41, which should
correspond roughly to 1925, 1938, 1940-1941.
Among other related titles, the Fernandina Express for 1881 is on the
list for emergency microfilming by the Florida Newspaper Project in 1995.
For the Florida Mirror, the Fernandina Public Library reports scattered
holdings from the 1930s and 1940s. For the Nassau County Leader, the
Amelia Island Museum has scattered issues that apparently have not been
microfilmed by the University of Florida, which has microfilm of a few issues
from the 1920s. For the Florida-Georgia News. the museum has forty-three
issues from 1938.
Probably unrelated titles held by the museum are issues of the Hilliard
Enterprise from 1938-1939; twenty-two issues of the Callahan News from 1935,
1937-1938, 1942; twenty-two issues of the Buccaneer from 1955-1957.
* Putnam County dates from 1849 and lies between Alachua County on the
west and St. Johns County on the east. Its county seat, Palatka, is on the St.
Johns River south of Jacksonville.
21 database records for fourteen titles from Palatka and ten from the
nineteenth century. Other towns with newspapers are Crescent City,
Interlachen, San Mateo, and Welaka.
Recommendation is to consider microfilming four titles. (1) The University
of Florida has microfilm for the Palatka Times-Herald for 1893-1894, 1911-
1949. The St. Augustine Historical Society has loose issues for January 1889 to
January 1890, and these should be filmed and collated with other years after
verifying that they have not been microfilmed under another title (e.g..,
Palatka Times). (2) A dozen or more issues of the Palatka Advocate, an
African-American newspaper from the 1920s, have surfaced and need to be
microfilmed as sole surviving issues. (3) The current Putnam County
Courier-Tournal has offices in Crescent City and Palatka and has apparently
been known by every possible variant the Crescent City Courier-Tournal, the
Putnam County Courier, the Crescent City Journal, etc. Some of these titles
date from the nineteenth century, and none has been collected systematically.
The newspaper office in Crescent City has holdings that go back "fifty years or
more," and these need to be inventoried, possibly microfilmed. (4) The
Putnam County Archives in Palatka has recently received ten issues of the
Southern Sun dating from 1885-1886; the State Library and University of
Florida have microfilm of one issue from 1885.
* St. Johns County once included almost all the state as one of the two
original counties created in 1821. Its present boundaries are south of
Jacksonville with the Atlantic Ocean on the east, the St. Johns River on the
west. The county seat is St. Augustine.
35 database records, mostly for titles published in St. Augustine. Nineteen
titles are from the nineteenth century and several will require thorough
cataloging to identify variant titles and changing place of publication;
fortunately, most have been microfilmed.
Recommendation is to microfilm the Datil Pepper published at Elbaville and
held by the St. Augustine Historical Society for 1897-1900. These issues are in
fragile condition, and there are no other known holdings. Consideration may
also be given to the St. Augustine Star. A few loose issues at the State Library
(21 and 28 December 1872, 4 January 20 April 1873) are all that survive of this
* Taylor County dates from 1856 and comprises a sparsely populated stretch
along the Gulf of Mexico from Steinhatchee to Apalachee Bay. The county
seat is Perry.
6 titles, all published in Perry. Three titles are related to the current Perry
News-Herald, microfilmed since 1959 by the University of Florida. The Taco
Times, also currently publishing, has been microfilmed in part for 1970-1972
and 1989-1990. The remaining title, a military paper from World War II
called Take Off, is represented by a single issue at the State Library.
Recommendation is to consider future microfilming of the Taco Times from
1972 forward. The Taylor County Library is said to have bound volumes.
* Suwannee County, created in 1858, is almost encircled by an extended crook
in the Suwannee River, which flows northwest and southeast before settling
on a route to the Gulf. The county seat is Live Oak.
9 titles, four dating from the nineteenth century and most microfilmed.
Recommendation is ascertain whether there are unfilmed runs of the Florida
Dispatch, which was published in Live Oak prior to its relocation in
Jacksonville. See recommendation under Duval County.
Low priority but notable: Branford is about thirty miles south of Live Oak,
and the Branford News is one of four area papers currently owned by Live
Oak Publications. There are unspecified holdings at the newspaper office for
this paper, published since 1967 and not collected or preserved by any
institution. The Independent Post of Live Oak has been collected by the
Suwannee River Regional Library from 1975 to the present. No further
preservation is known.
* Union County, north of Alachua County, was created in 1921. Only one I
newspaper is known for the county. The Union County Times, published in
Lake Butler, the county seat, has been microfilmed by the University of
Florida since 1946.
Recommendation is to microfilm early runs of the Union County Times
stored at the newspaper office: January-June 1926, April 1937-March 1943.
* Wakulla County, dating from 1843, is southwest of Tallahassee on the Gulf
of Mexico. Its county seat is Crawfordville.
4 main titles, three from the nineteenth century and one currently
publishing. Surviving issues of the early titles are largely microfilmed,
although verification and collation of widely varying holdings are advised.
Recommendation is to microfilm issues of the Wakulla County News at the
State Library to make microfilming already done by the University of Florida
as complete as possible. The university has 1955-1987 of the Wakulla County
News and 1988-present of the Wakulla News. The State Library has scattered
issues of the Wakulla County News from 1935 to 1946.
(21 counties, 511 database records, 121 newspapers currently publishing)
Brevard County runs along what's come to be called Florida's Space Coast
on the Atlantic. The county seat is Titusville; the major city is Melbourne.
Other towns represented by newspapers include Rockledge, Merritt Island,
Cocoa, Cocoa Beach, and Palm Bay.
22 titles, only two from the nineteenth century but nine currently publishing.
This is indicative of the county's relatively slow growth from the time of its
creation in 1855 to the middle of the twentieth century. There are two dailies
in the county, both published by Gannett.
Recommendation is to ascertain the feasibility of microfilming the full 1893
run of the Indian River Advocate at the Historical Association of Southern
Florida. The University of Florida has microfilm of scattered issues, 1889-
1900. Other titles are either microfilmed or too recently begun to rate a high
priority for preservation.
* Citrus County, created in 1887, is on the Gulf of Mexico and is known for
the manatees in Crystal River and Homosassa Springs. Its county seat is
6 titles, five held at the Old Courthouse in Inverness and in need of
preservation; three of these date from the nineteenth century. Only one
newspaper is currently published in the county.
Recommendation is microfilm the issues of the Citrus County Chronicle and
Crystal River News at the Old Courthouse and to consider preservation of
surviving issues of the remaining three titles. The Citrus County Chronicle
has been microfilmed by the University of Florida for 1939-1941, 1944-present,
but the Old Courthouse has loose issues from 1895, 1897, 1907-1915, 1931-1934,
and 1937. For the Crystal River News, the Old Courthouse has scattered
issues from 1911-1916. It also has seven issues of the Citrus County Star from
1888, one issue of the Crystal River Herald from 1924 (a sole surviving issue),
and two issues of Phosphate Field from 1891.
*DeSoto County was also created in 1887. The county is inland, north of Fort
Myers and east of Sarasota. Its county seat and main population center is
7 titles, six located in Arcadia, five related through a 1924 merger, four dating
from the nineteenth century, and two currently publishing. The University
of Florida has microfilm of all titles except the DeSoto Sun Herald currently
published twice a week by the Sun Coast Media Group.
Recommendation is to ascertain the years of publication for the DeSoto Sun
Herald and also to determine whether the publisher has holdings; the title is
not known to have been collected by any institution and is probably fairly
recent. (Sun Coast Media publishes several other area papers as well; e.g., the
Charlotte Sun, Punta Gorda Herald.)
* Hardee County was established in 1921. It is inland, north of DeSoto County
and east of Sarasota. Its county seat and main town is Wauchula.
5 titles, all related to the current Herald-Advocate, which has been
microfilmed by the University of Florida for its P. K. Yonge Collection since
Recommendation is to microfilm all unfilmed issues of Hardee titles as
follows: (1) For the Bowling Green Exponent, discontinued in 1941,
microfilm the loose issues and bound volumes held at the Herald-Advocate
office, 1938-1941. (2) For the Hardee County Herald, the University of Florida
has scattered issues on film from 1938 forward, but the Herald-Advocate office
and Hardee County Library report complete bound volumes from 1938
forward. (3) For the earlier Florida Advocate the University of Florida has
scattered issues on microfilm from 1932-1955 as well as loose issues in poor
condition delivered by the Herald-Advocate publisher for 1914-1928. These
need to be collated with holdings at the Hardee County Library, 1932-1955,
although the latter may have been the source of the present microfilm held
by the University of Florida. (4) For the Zolfo Springs Truth, the Herald-
Advocate office reports sole surviving issues from 1914-1917, 1919, 1921-1923.
* Hernando County is north of Tampa and borders the Gulf of Mexico on the
west. Brooksville is the only notable town, although Weeki Wachee is a
tourist attraction of some renown. The county was created in 1843.
10 titles, all published in Brooksville. The earliest paper from the area, the
Florida Crescent, has not survived. Published from 1880 to 1884, this paper
was also known as the Brooksville Crescent. A new owner signaled a new
name, the Brooksville Register, and the State Library has a single copy of this,
in poor condition (April 1885). The original publisher of the Crescent now
began the Hernando News, also known as the Brooksville News, which later
"assimilated the Register" to become the News-Register, issues of which have
been microfilmed by the University of Florida (1891-1896).
The Southern Argus is the common ancestor of a second group of titles
published in Brooksville. Begun by the Hernando County school
superintendent at the turn of the century (1901), the paper was later called the
Brooksville Argus. A new press in 1926 "heralded" a name change, and the
paper became the Brooksville Herald, sometimes the Argus and Herald. A
new owner in 1930 changed the name to the Brooksville Journal. In 1932, the
paper had a competitor, the Brooksville Sun. The papers were merged under
a single owner in 1959. The Sun-Tournal was sold to Gannett in 1973, ceased
publication in 1992. It appears that no newspaper is currently published in
Recommendation is to microfilm 1923-1924 of the Southern Argus held by
the Hernando County Clerk's Office and Hernando County Public Library,
issues of the Brooksville Argus and Argus and Herald for 1924 and 1925 held
by the Hernando County Clerk's Office and the Hernando Historical Museum
Association, 1926-1928 of the Brooksville Herald held by these organizations,
as well as previously unfilmed issues of the Brooksville Tournal (1928-1950,
1952-1958) and the Brooksville Sun (1932-1939, 1945-1959). Note that the
Hernando County Clerk's Office has an apparently complete run of the Sun-
Journal on microfiche, and this paper was selected for the P. K. Yonge
Collection at the University of Florida. The University of Florida has also
already microfilmed scattered issues of the Brooksville Journal 1925-1959,
and the Brooksville Sun, 1960-1981.
* Highlands County is inland, east of Hardee County. Its major towns are
Avon Park, Lake Placid, and Sebring, the county seat.
14 titles, including four military papers from World War II and three titles
currently publishing. The county was not established until 1923, and there
are no papers from the nineteenth century.
Recommendation is to microfilm the Sebring American and its variants, to
consider preservation of the Lake Placid Tournal. The Sebring American has
been microfilmed 1931-1940 by the University of Florida, but the Sebring
Historical Society has copies of the Highlands American from 1925, 1931 and
1932, of the Sebring American from 1925 and 1941, and of the Sebring Daily
American from 1926.
There was no newspaper at Lake Placid, about eighteen miles from
Sebring, until the 1950s. The Lake Placid Tournal has been published
continuously by the Delaney family since 1955 but has not been collected or
preserved by any institution. The publisher claims a complete run.
* Hillsborough County dates to 1834 and is notable for Tampa, one of the
state's major cities and the county seat. All but fourteen of the titles
attributed to Hillsborough County are published in Tampa. Brandon, Plant
City, Ruskin, and Zephyrhills are other towns in the county that have
114 titles, including twenty-five currently publishing. The diversity of types
of newspapers is particularly rich. There are twenty-six labor papers
published from the early 1900s to the 1940s. These are mostly connected with
the Cigar Workers' Union, and there is some overlap with the thirty-four
Spanish-language papers. Of the eighteen papers from the nineteenth
century, one Spanish-language title is among the earliest in the state. Two of
the four African-American titles are still publishing, and the Tampa Times
had an African-Americah section as far back as 1893.
Recommendation is to microfilm six titles as follows: Sole surviving issues
of El Diario de Tampa at the University of South Florida for 6 June 31
December 1908 (vol. 1) and 2 January 27 June 1911 (vol. 4) are in need of
Florida Bond News and Florida Tax & Bond News were published
weekly in the 1930s. Jacksonville Public Libraries have sole surviving issues
for the year April 1932 to March 1933 (bound volume).
The East Hillsborough Historical Society and Quintilla Geer Bruton
Archives Center have copies of the Plant City Courier from 1907 to the
present and have microfilmed the run up to 1945, with plans to complete the
project in time. The University of Florida has microfilm of scattered issues
from 1903, 1921, and 1959, as well as a complete run on microfilm from June
1988 to the present. Microfilming from 1945 to 1959 and 1960 to 1988 is
The Seald-Sweet Chronicle was published by the Florida Citrus
Exchange from 1925 to at least 1931. Bound volumes from 1925 to 1929 are
held by the Orange County Museum, and Jacksonville Public Libraries have
bound volumes from 1928 to 1931. These holdings need to be collated and
There is microfilm of a few issues of Tampa Life from 1932, but the
University of South Florida has loose issues from 30 April 1929 to 21 June
1930 (vols. 2-3), which need to be microfilmed.
The Zephyrhills News has been published since 1910 and microfilmed
for 1933-1946 by the University of Florida. Presently published by Republic
Newspapers qf Knoxville, the paper reports bound volumes back to the 1950s
that need to be microfilmed for as complete a run as possible.
Additional titles are represented by only a few issues but appear to be of
sufficient interest to warrant future consideration. For example, the
University of South Florida has three issues of Cuba from 1893, sole
surviving issues. There are only two issues of La Riscossa, Organo di
Propaganda AntiFascista, a monthly anti-Fascist newspaper for Tampa's
Italian community. Hooker's Point Log was published by Hooker's Point
Shipyard during World War II. The University of South Florida has
seventeen issues from 1944-1945, sole surviving issues of likely historical
interest. Finally, Beacon Publishing, responsible for the current Lutz
Partyline and Temple Terrace Beacon has rights to the currently discontinued
North Tampa Independent and reports unspecified back issues of these titles,
perhaps for as long as sixty years. This claim needs to be verified and clarified.
The second African-American title in Tampa, Family Dollar Stretcher,
dates from the 1970s but has not been collected. The publisher was unable to
verify holdings; a recent subscription by the State Historical Society of
Wisconsin is presumed:
* Indian River County on the Atlantic Coast dates only from 1925. The
county seat and largest population center is Vero Beach.
5 titles, two from Fellsmere, two from Sebastian. The Vero Beach Press-
Tournal its predecessors and variants, comprise the fifth title. It has been
microfilmed from 1919 forward for the P. K. Yonge Collection at the
University of Florida,
Recommendation is to microfilm the Fellsmere titles. The St. Lucie County
Library System has photocopies of the Fellsmere Farmer from 1912-1913 and
reports that the originals are held by Gulf & Western Food Products Co. The
St. Lucie County Library System also has bound volumes of the Fellsmere
Tribune, 1912-1913, 1916-1921. Neither title has been collected or preserved
* Lake County is in the middle of the peninsula, west of Orlando, and dates to
1887. The major towns are Leesburg, Tavares, Mount Dora, Clermont, and
Eustis. Newspapers have also been published in Altoona, Groveland, Howey
in the Hills, and Umatilla.
31 titles, including sixteen from the nineteenth century. Indeed, two of the
nine newspapers currently published in Lake County date from the
Recommendation: The Daily Commercial of Leesburg and its predecessors
have been microfilmed in large part from 1892 forward, but there are runs of
the equally venerable Eustis/Lake Region News and its predecessors that are
unfilmed. I.e., issues of the Eustis Lake Region from 1884, 1887-1888, and 1919
are microfilmed, and the Lake County Historical Society in Tavares has
microfilm of the Eustis News for 1957-1961, but Mid-Florida Publications has
bound volumes back to 1924, which need to be collated with other holdings
Among the different types of newspapers published in Lake County,
the Chautauqua Camp and Fireside, South Florida edition, is one of the more
interesting. It appears that the University of South Florida, St. Petersburg
campus, has loose issues from January 1886 to April 1888. Another early title
is Florida Facts. There is microfilm at the University of Florida for 1890-1908,
but the State Library has "a nearly complete run" from 1890 to 1896 and then
from 1901 to 1910. The issues from 1908-1910 need to be microfilmed.
The Mount Dora Topic is a another title dating from the nineteenth
century that is largely unfilmed, although the Mount Dora Historical Society
is attempting a project to scan the bound volumes stored at Mid-Florida
Publications (1926 forward) The Lake County Historical Society has
microfilm in fair to poor condition for 1957-1962.
A third title stored at Mid-Florida Publications is the Tavares Citizen.
There is microfilm of scattered issues of the Lake County Citizen from 1923,
1927-1928, 1936, but the publisher has bound volumes back to 1927. Again, the
Lake County Historical Society has microfilm, 1957-1962, and loose issues,
A quarterly publication by the Lake County Chamber of Commerce
called the Lake County News is in need of preservation. The Lake County
Historical Society has 1936-1950.
The South Lake Press of Clermont has been microfilmed by the
University of Florida since 1988, but the Cooper Memorial Library has bound
volumes back to 1966. There is microfilm of its predecessor, the Clermont
Press for 1928-1930, 1957-1959.
Of low priority but notable are a half-dozen related titles published in
Lady Lake. From a newsletter for the retirement community to the Orange
Blossom Sun begun in 1974 with a senior supplement called Lake Lake Extra,
the present publications are called the Tri-County Sun and the Village Sun.
Ms. Ad Carpenter, the publisher, claims a complete run.
* Manatee County, created in 1855, is south of Tampa on the Gulf of Mexico.
The county seat is Bradenton, where at least nine newspapers have been
published. Other locations for newspapers in the county include Anna Maria,
Palmetto, and Longboat Key.
23 titles, including five from the nineteenth century and five currently
publishing. The Manatee County Central Library has apparently pursued
collection and preservation of area newspapers with exceptional dedication.
It has microfilm of recent as tvell as early publications.
Recommendation is to microfilm early volumes of the defunct Anna Maria
Islander. There is microfilm of this title from 1958 to 1990, but the Island
Branch Library of Holmes Beach has bound volumes from 1951 (vol. 1)
forward. Another title in need of preservation is the defunct Longboat
Lookout. The Longboat Key Historical Society has loose issues, 1956-1960, the
only known surviving copies.
The Manatee Record was an early title succeeded by the Palmetto Press,
which has been microfilmed up to 1990, when it ceased publication. The
Manatee County Central Library has microfilm of the Palmetto Press from
1966 forward and of the Manatee Record for August-September 1966. The
Sarasota Department of Historical Resources has loose issues of the Manatee
Record that run from 5 October 1906 to 8 November 1908, and these need to be
Microfilm of the Braidentown News from 1897-1898 is held by the State
Library, South Florida M1useum in Bradenton, and the Manatee County
Central Library, but the condition is reported as poor. Regeneration of this
microfilm is recommended.
* Okeechobee County is a fairly unpopulated area lying east of the Kissimmee
River and north of Lake Okeechobee. The county was created in 1917. Its
county seat is also named Okeechobee.
3 titles, all from the twentieth century. The Okeechobee News has been
microfilmed by the University of Florida for 1926-1930, 1934-1982, and 1986 to
the present. Of the remaining titles, one is represented by a single issue from
1918 and the other is a free paper consisting primarily of advertisements.
* Orange County is best known for Orlando and Disney World. However,
there is also Apopka, foliage capital of the world, and the towns of Winter
Park, Winter Garden, and Maitland have supported newspapers as well.
66 titles, including fourteen from the nineteenth century. Thirty-seven titles
are located in Orlando, the county seat, twelve in Winter Park, six in Apopka,
two in Winter Garden and one in Maitland. There are seven Spanish-
language papers, four religious titles, three African-American titles, and three
Recommendation is to microfilm holdings of the Apopka Chief (and its
variant titles) that have not been preserved elsewhere. I.e., The University of
Florida has microfilm of the Apopka Chief from the 1930s and from 1988 to
the present; gaps may well be filled following an inventory of the publisher's
holdings in a back room of the newspaper office. Foliage Enterprises has also
published an agricultural paper called the Planter since 1967. This has not
been collected anywhere but is likely stored at the Chief office too.
Florida Cracker was a short-lived political sheet billed as "the smallest
paper on earth" and dedicated to promotion of Governor Gilchrist's
campaign. The University of West Florida appears to have a complete run, 15
October 1917 26 July 1918, in need of preservation.
The Corner Cupboard is an interesting name and may be an interesting
paper. It published 1949-1977 in Orlando, and the Orange County Museum
claims a complete run. The museum also has seventeen issues of Orange
Echoes from 1924 to 1948. Published by the Orlando Chamber of Commerce,
this title could be preserved with the single surviving issue of the previous
Windermerian from 1920, the 1945 single issue of the Orlando Tayceer, and
the sole issue of Rotoptimist from 1951.
For the Orlando Post, the Orange County Museum has six issues from
1949-1950, and the Orange County Library has January 1951 to 25 February
1955. For Winter Park Topics, the museum has issues from 1936, 1946, 1951,
1955, and Rollins College has bound volumes of 1934-1955. Scattered loose
issues of the Winter Park Herald from 1923, 1925, 1927, 1930, 1933, 1946, 1948,
and 1959 are held by the State Library, University of West Florida, and Orange
County Museum. Unspecified holdings of the Winter Park Advocate, an
African-American newspaper from the nineteenth century, are at the Winter
Park Public Library.
For the Maitland News, published from 1926, the Orange County
Museum has the first twenty-six issues, and the Maitland Public Library has
issues from 12 April 1926 to 1 June 1927. These are sole surviving issues.
Numerous titles from Orange County date only from the last decade
and have not been collected anywhere. There are also numerous older titles
represented by fewer than a dozen issues that have never been microfilmed.
* Osceola County is south of Orlando and was established in 1887. The county
seat is Kissimmee. St. Cloud is the only other town in the county that has
had a newspaper.
10 titles, five of which are related. The News-Gazette of Kissimmee is
microfilmed as part of the University of Florida's P. K. Yonge Collection, and
its predecessors back to 1891 are largely microfilmed as well (Osceola Gazette,
Kissimmee Valley, Kissimmee Valley Gazette, Kissimmee Gazette Osceola
News-Gazette). Surviving issues of two additional Kissimmee titles from the
nineteenth century are also microfilmed, as is a single surviving issue of the
St. Cloud News and a long run of the St. Cloud Tribune.
Recommendation is to ascertain the dates for the now-defunct Osceola Sun to
determine whether additional microfilming is needed. This title has been
microfilmed by UMI for 1969-1977, but the Kissimmee Public Library claims
loose issues from 1967 to 1977.
* Pasco County, also established in 1887, is north of Tampa on the Gulf of
Mexico. The county seat, Dade City, is inland. Other towns in the county
with newspapers are New Port Richey, Crystal Springs, San Antonio, and
Land o' Lakes.
13 titles, four from the nineteenth century. One of these, Florida Staats
Zeitung was a German-language newspaper succeeded by an English-
language paper by the same publisher. The major Dade City paper has been
preserved through several title changes from 1914 to the present.
Recommendation is to confirm microfilming of the Dade City Banner (1914-
1972) by the Hugh Embry Branch Library. The University of Florida has
microfilmed scattered issues from 1925, 1932-1941, 1945-1972, but the Dade City
library reported a fairly complete run from 1914 forward and a microfilming
project in progress. Thesubsequent Dade City Banner/Pasco East, Pasco East,
and Pasco News have been microfilmed from 1972 to the present by the
University of Florida for its P. K. Yonge Collection.
On the Gulf of Mexico, Port Richey and New Port Richey have
apparently shared a newspaper from about 1917 to the present. The New Port
Richey Press, Port Richey Press, and West Pasco Press published in New Port
Richey appear related and have been collected from 1956 forward by the Hugh
Embry Branch Library but never microfilmed. The relation of these titles and
their respective dates need to be confirmed.
* Pinellas County is coextensive with the peninsula lying across the bay from
Tampa on the Gulf of Mexico, and it was part of the larger Hillsborough
County before 1911. The county seat is Clearwater; St. Petersburg is the major
city. Other towns with newspapers include Dunedin, Oldsmar, Tarpon
Springs, Gulfport, and Largo.
57 titles, including half a dozen from the nineteenth century (published in
the area that is now Pinellas County) and thirteen currently publishing.
There is a range of type from alternative to senior citizen papers.
Recommendation is to microfilm the scattered runs of the Clearwater News,
a predecessor of the Clearwater Sun, held by the Pinellas County Historical
Museum, 1906-1908 and 1913-1917. The title has not been collected or
preserved elsewhere. The museum has recently acquired unsorted holdings
of an even earlier Sun predecessor, the West Hillsborough Press, and of other
titles not known to have been collected or preserved elsewhere.
Come Unity is one of the few alternative newspapers located in the
project survey. Published in St. Petersburg since 1971, it has been collected by
the University of Miami, 1973-1976, and University of South Florida, 1972-
1988. This title may meet criteria for preservation in terms of research
The Dunedin Times has been published since 1924, with at least one
break when the Dunedin Historical Society was given bound volumes, 1924-
1965, and microfiche of these. The Pinellas County Historical Museum and
Dunedin Public Library report issues from 1966, and the University of Florida
has microfilm of 1989-1990.
The Gulfport Museum has issues of the Gulfport Tribune for 1939-1944,
issues dating back to 1924 having been thrown out. The newspaper has not
been collected or preserved elsewhere.
Of potential interest is Beach Views published in Clearwater. The
newspaper office reports a complete run from 1950 to the present. There are
no other known holdings.
* Polk County is east of, Tampa, southwest of Orlando. There are a number of
moderately sized towns, including Bartow (8 titles), Lakeland (11 titles),
Frostproof (2 titles), Lake Wales (2 titles), Winter Haven (2 titles), and Polk
City (2 titles). Bartow is the county seat for Polk, which was established in
33 titles, including the Weekly No-Fence Bulletin, the Florida Chemical
Worker, "official organ of the Polk County Central Labor Union," and Florida
Recommendation is to consider microfilming the three issues of the Weekly
No-Fence Bulletin, held by the Florida Historical Society, and the county's
only African-American tite, the Polk County Banner, published in Lakeland
since 1978. The latter title has never been collected anywhere, but the
publisher claims a fairly complete run stored in various locations. All other
titles appear to be largely microfilmed, although collation and verification of
holdings are needed.
* St. Lucie County is on the Atlantic Coast; its county seat, Fort Pierce, is about
halfway between Melbourne and West Palm Beach. Originally called St. Lucia
when first created from part of Mosquito County in 1844, it was absorbed into
the newly formed Brevard County in 1855, then reestablished as St. Lucie in
8 titles, all published in Fort Pierce and all dating only from the twentieth
century. Four of the eight titles are related: the Fort Pierce News St. Lucie
Tribune, Fort Pierce News-Tribune, and present Fort Pierce Tribune. These
have all been microfilmed, 1905 forward. Of the remaining four titles, two
are African-American newspapers. The Chronicle is to be microfilmed on an
emergency basis in the present grant period if issues can be located; the
Florida Courier dates only from 1991, and has not been colected although the
publisher has scattered issues and the State Historical Society of Wisconsin
has recently subscribed. A military title from World War II has been
microfilmed, and the University of Pittsburgh Library has "selected
translations" of an interesting title, Pravda Pulse, 1985-1986.
* Sarasota County is on the Gulf of Mexico south of Tampa Bay and was part
of Manatee County until 1921. Its county seat is Sarasota; smaller population
centers include Englewood, Venice, North Port, and Longboat Key.
31 titles, most dating from the last half of the twentieth century and most
published in Sarasota. There is a single nineteenth-century title and four
African-American titles. The Sarasota Department of Historical Resources
and the Venice Archives and Historical Collection seem to have been diligent
in collection, but preservation is needed for most titles at the Sarasota
Department of Historical Resources.
Recommendation is to 'microfilm the earlier Sarasota Times, which began in
1898 and was Sarasota's first newspaper. The University of South Florida has
two issues (31 August 1898 and 30 August 1906); the Sarasota Department of
Historical Resources has issues of the Sarasota Times from 20 January 1910 to
7 August 1924, of the Sarasota County Times from 1925, of the Sarasota Daily
Times from 12 January 1925 to 16 December 1926. This newspaper went into
receivership in 1929. (The Sarasota Department of Historical Resources also
has issues of the later Sarasota Times, a weekly published from 1984 to 1991
when it and four other area newspapers were combined to form The Weekly,
published by the Toronto Sun Publishing Co.)
The present-day Sarasota Herald-Tribune has been microfilmed from
the beginning date of the Herald (1925) by UMI; however, it appears that the
Sarasota Tribune (1921-1938) has not been microfilmed. The Sarasota
Department of Historical Resources has the Sarasota Tribune from 15
September 1932 to 6 February 1934, the Sarasota Daily Tribune from 17 April
1935 to 13 April 1937.
None of the four African-American titles has been microfilmed.
The most recent, Suncoast Tempo News, dates only from 1992 and
has not been collected anywhere. Issues of the monthly Black
Almanac are held by the Sarasota Department of Historical Resources for
March 1989 January 1990. Of perhaps greater interest is the run of the weekly
Black Community News held by the department from 20 August 1975 to 13
May 1976. The Bulletin dates from 1959 and has been collected by the State
Historical Society of Wisconsin since 1992; the Sarasota Department of
Historical Resources has issues from 26 July 1985 to 2 August 1988. The
publisher may well have additional holdings, but has not responded to calls
In addition to a complete run of the Englewood Sun-Times from 1989,
the Sarasota Department of Historical Resources has the Englewood Times-
Herald for 1989, the Englewood Times for 1985-1988, the Englewood Herald
for 1955-1977. Other runs may be held by the publisher, Derek Dunn Rankin
of Sun Coast Media Group. Englewood is south of Venice on the Gulf, just
above the Charlotte County line.
The Chronicle, published every two months by the Sarasota-Manatee
Jewish Federation, has been microfilmed by the University of Florida since
1984. The newspaper office claims a complete run back to 1970.
The Sarasota Department of Historical Resources has issues of Siesta
Outlook, a Sarasota weekly, for 16 November 1956 18 February 1958. The
subsequent Key Look-Out has been collected by the Library of Congress for 28
May 11 June and 6 1- 20 August 1959.
The Pelican Press is an ongoing Sarasota weekly. The newspaper office
claims a complete run from 1971; the Sarasota Department of Historical
Resources has issues from 1972 forward. A final title of potential interest at
the Sarasota Department of Historical Resources is Blue Suede Views,
collected from its beginning date in 1988 to 1991. Other recent runs at the
Sarasota Department of Historical Resources are of less interest. Other
newspapers from Sarasota and Venice are largely microfilmed.
* Seminole County was the northeastern portion of Orange County prior to
its creation in 1913. Its county seat is Sanford.
10 titles, eight published in Sanford and two in Oviedo. Eight of the titles date
from the nineteenth century, prior to the creation of Seminole County.
These will be cataloged on the OCLC database as Orange County titles, but the
project database locates titles according to current county lines (e.g., Sanford
and the Sanford Tournal are associated with Seminole County, but were part
of Orange County in the last century).
Recommendation is to microfilm any runs of the Sanford Herald and its
variants that can be located. This title, the only newspaper known to be
currently publishing in Seminole County, began in 1908 and has been
collected widely, preserved on microfilm sporadically. The newspaper office
claims original issues from 1908 to 1977 and microfilm thereafter. The
Seminole County Clerk of Courts reports unspecified holdings. The years
required to fill in gaps in microfilm holdings at the University of Florida are
roughly 1908-1920, 1923-1945.
* Sumter County is wedged mid-state between Ocala and Lakeland. Its only
town of any size is Bushnell, the county seat and location of the only
newspaper reported for the county on the survey. The Sumter County Times
has been published from about 1881 and has been microfilmed by the
University of Florida for 1939, 1941, 1955-present. There are no other known
holdings. The nineteenth-century Sumter County Advance (1876-1878) was
actually published in Leesburg (Lake County), an irregularity explained ty the
creation of Sumter County in 1853 and Lake County in 1887.
* Volusia County is on the Atlantic Coast and was created by a partition of
Orange County in 1854. Noted for its beaches (Daytona Beach, Ormond Beach,
and New Smyrna Beach), Volusia has several venerable inland towns,
including DeLand, the county seat. DeLeon Springs, Orange City, and
Enterprise are other early settlements that have supported newspapers.
53 titles, including eighteen that date from the nineteenth century, five
currently publishing, three military titles, two religious, and one
representative each of the agricultural, business, political, legal, collegiate, and
Recommendation is to microfilm the Florida Agriculturalist, which was
published from about 1874 to about 1908 in DeLand and Jacksonville. The
years for the separate locations are unclear; see details of this
recommendation under'Duval County.
The New Smyrna News began in 1913, became the New Smyrna Beach
Daily News in 1926, the New Smyrna Beach News in 1941 and the News &
Observer in 1975 following a merger. Since 1988 the daily has been known
simply as the Observer. The publisher claims a complete run of all these titles
and has collaborated with the Southeast Volusia Historical Society in having
issues from 1913-1926 microfilmed. The recommendation is to ascertain
holdings and quality of microfilm already done, to microfilm the remaining
run. Other than a single issue at the University of West Florida from 1942,
none of the related titles has been collected or preserved.
American Publishing Co. purchased the New Smyrna News &
Observer in 1987 along with the Port Orange Observer and the Ormond Beach
Observer. The Port Orange paper was discontinued, but the Ormond Beach
paper, which was sold, continued to publish for another five years or so
before closing. The Ormond Beach Public Library has a 1935-1940 run that
needs to be microfilmed.
The newspaper collection at the Halifax Historical Society needs to be
inventoried. Holdings there may well warrant additional microfilming, but
other known holdings are largely microfilmed with the exception of titles
represented by only a few issues. For example, the University of South
Florida has a single 1930 issue of the Independent Merchants Bulletin, three
1927 issues of the Morning Tab; the University of West Florida has the first
issue of the Stetson Squawk from 1926.
(10 counties, 595 database records, 132 newspapers currently publishing)
* Broward County is south of Palm Beach, bounded by the Atlantic Oean on
the east and the Miccosukee Indian Reservation on the west. It was
established in 1915. The county seat is Fort Lauderdale.
93 database records, forty-two of them for Fort Lauderdale newspapers and
twenty-seven for newspapers that are currently publishing. None of the titles
is from the nineteenth century, and only sixteen date from before 1950. The
Fort Lauderdale Historical Society reports eighty-six titles (66 for Broward
County, 34 for Fort Lauderdale), but fifty-ninie of these are for single issues; it
appears that first and special editions have been collected for the mostpart.
The range of types of newspapers in Broward is impressive. There is a
newspaper for seniors, one for singles, an entertainment title, a sports title, a
collegiate title, two military titles, two government titles, two political titles,
three Latino and three African-American titles, four Jewish titles, and five
business titles. There is a Russian, Irish, Italian, French Canadian, British,
and an Asian-American title; however, few significant holdings exist for any
of these, and most are recent.
Recommendation is to consider microfilming eight titles as follows:
The Avenger was published weekly by the Fort Lauderdale Naval
Station in the early 1940s. The State Library has microfilm of ten issues from
1943; the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society has a bound volume for 1945.
Carpatho Russian Echoes is a monthly dating only from 1983 and now
published in West Virginia. The Fort Lauderdale Historical Society has issues
from July 1986 to October 1987, which should be an interesting period for any
Russian newspaper, including one published in Fort Lauderdale.
Another monthly, the Dania Press, dates from 1939. The Fort
Lauderdale Historical Society has issues from 1969-1971, but the present
publisher reports holdings from 1983 forward and "some very old newspapers
from the 1940s and 1950s." Dania is south of Fort Lauderdale, north of
For El Heraldo de Broward, the University of Miami reports a fairly
complete run from October 1974 to July 1989. The other two Spanish-
language titles are later, holdings are less complete.
The Fort Lauderdale Historical Society has three issues of the Daily
Herald from 1911 and 1912-1918 of the Fort Lauderdale Herald; it also has
scattered issues up to 1925. UMI has microfilm from 1919 to 1923.
For the Fort Lauderdale Shopper, the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society
has loose issues that cover 1935. For the Pompano Beach Town News, the
Pompano Beach City Library reports a "broken but substantial" run from the
The publisher of the Westside Gazette, an African-American title
begun in 1971, reports complete holdings from 1973. The Fort Lauderdale
Historical Society reports complete holdings from 1981. The title has not been
microfilmed or collected elsewhere.
* Charlotte County dates from 1921 and includes the eastern shore of
Charlotte Harbor across from Sarasota County on the west. The county seat is
Punta Gorda. Port Charlotte and Charlotte Harbor have also supported
5 database records for a dozen titles, all apparently related. The oldest title, the
Herald of Punta Gorda, dates from 1893. It has been largely microfilmed from
1902 to the 1960s. The present publisher reports bound volumes up to 1970,
although these may have been microfilmed by the University of Florida as
the Herald-News (1964-1977). The Port Charlotte titles (Charlotte Herald, Port
Charlotte News, Daily Herald-News, Charlotte Herald-News Charlotte Sun
and Herald-News, Charlotte Sun-Herald, and present Charlotte Sun) date
only from the 1960s. Both the Charlotte Sun and Punta Gorda Herald are
now published by the Sun Coast Media Group.
Recommendation is to ascertain all holdings and microfilm to verify that
paper holdings have been microfilmed. It appears that the only unfilmed run
is for the Port Charlotte News 1961-1964. This is stored at the Punta Gorda
* Collier County was established in 1923 and covers a large portion of Big
Cypress Swamp. The county seat and major population center is Naples,
located on the Gulf of Mexico.
12 titles reported, including one Spanish-language paper, a business title, and
several small suburban weeklies, as well as the Naples Daily News and its
predecessors, which have been microfilmed. The unfilmed titles are fairly
recent and so rate a low priority.
Recommendation: None, although some titles are of marginal interest; e.g.,
the Golden Gate Gazette appears representative of the suburban weeklies. It's
been published from at least 1972 under seven variant titles, has been
collected by the Collier County Library but with a gap between 1976 and 1985.
Dade County is the eastern tip of the Florida peninsula and was established in
1836. Miami is the county seat, but a more meaningful identity is that of a
major Latin American city within the United States.
339 database records; more than half of all records for South Florida, are for
Dade County, and most of these (287) are for Miami. More than half of the
records (228) are for Spanish-language titles. There are forty-eight newspapers
currently publishing in the county (42 in Miami), including twenty-four
Spanish-language titles (21 in Miami). The range of ethnicity is the greatest in
the state. Current newspapers represent Caribbean, Brazilian, Vietnamese,
Chinese, Haitian, Nicaraguan, Italian, and African-American communities.
There are at least two alternative titles, one for the gay community.
Recommendation is to begin with the Homestead titles, excluding its three
Spanish-language titles, which date only from the 1980s. Most known runs of
the eight precursors of the present South Dade News Leader have been
microfilmed, but the publisher and Homestead Public Library have runs that
have not been reported (survey information to be supplied shortly).
Of the remaining records for newspapers not published in Miami,
there are fourteen for Hialeah, eleven for Coral Gables, three for Coconut
Grove, two each for Sweetwater and Key Biscayne, one each for Hialeah
Gardens, Opa-Locka, Princeton, and Florida City. Seventeen of these records
are for Spanish-language titles, all but two dating from the 1970s and 1980s.
Of potential interest is El Sol de Hialeah = The Hialeah Sun: El Primer
Periodico Latino de Hialeah. The University of Miami has scattered issues of
this Spanish and English newspaper from throughout its publication history,
Home News, a Hialeah weekly from the 1940s to the 1980s, has been
microfilmed from 1955 to 1983, but the Historical Association of Southern
Florida has bound volumes from 1944 to 1976. The 1944-1954 years need to be
Of the Miami newspapers, only twenty-five date from before 1950,
including five military titles from World War II. Surviving issues and runs
of these early titles are mostly preserved, but an outstanding exception is
Florida Echo, a German- and English-language paper published 1926-1956 and
opposed to fascism, nazi-ism, and communism according to its 1938
masthead. The Miami-Dade Public Library has a complete run that has never
The Cuban-exile newspapers from the late 1950s forward have often
published irregularly and been collected sporadically. Indeed, there are
relatively few from the 1960s; most date only from the 1970s and 1980s. All of
these titles are interesting, but the following may be sufficiently early and
collected in sufficient quantity to be considered for microfilming.
Accion Cubana, a weekly published irregularly from 1959 in Miami.
The University of Miami has gaps in holdings from 20 October 1960 to 26 May
Accion: Organo Oficial del Movimiento Nacionalista Cristiano Toven
America, a monthly. The University of Miami has scattered issues from May
1964 to April 1970.
America Libre: Ouincenario Independiente, Veraz y Moderno al
Servicio de la Democracia del Continente, published every two weeks in
Miami and Los Angeles editions. The University of Miami has the former
edition only, June 1964 to December 1974.
Cuba Libre: Organo Oficial de la Insurreccion Cubana, a weekly. The
University of Miami has scattered issues, 1959-1961.
El Avance Criollo, a weekly dealing "chiefly with political and
sociological issues" and previously published in Havana. The University of
Miami reports complete holdings, 24 June 1960 1 July 1962.
El Triunfo, a weekly. The University of Miami has a fairly complete
run, 26 September 1969 13 September 1974.
Giron: Organo Oficial de la Brigada 2506, a monthly. The University
of Miami has gaps in holdings from December 1965 to July 1983 when the
publication ceased, then continued in 1984 as a magazine.
La Cronica Cubana: Organo Oficial de la Cuban Brotherhood
Association, a weekly. -The University of Miami has June-September 1967
and November 1967 to October 1968.
La Nacion: Organo Oficial de los Municipios de Cuba en el Exilio, a
monthly. The University of Miami has complete holdings, 24 February 1968
to December 1969.
La Noticia: Diario de la Tarde, published at various frequencies. The
University of Miami has scattered issues from October 1968 to October 1986.
La Verdad and the subsequent La Verdad de Republica, weeklies. The
University of Miami has a complete run of the original title, 1969-1970 (?),
and scattered issues of the latter, 1973-1993.
Libertad: Un Semanario Libre, Tusto, Bravo y Breve, a weekly. The
University of Miami has gaps in holdings from August 1960 to June 1976.
Magisterio Cubano Libre: Organo del Directorio Magisterial
Revolucionario, a monthly "previously published in Havana and later edited
underground and published in Miami for distribution in Cuba," according to
a listing by the University of Miami for its scattered issues from February 1961
to March 1966.
Pasquin: En la Brevedad Reside el Interes, published "several times a
week." The University of Miami has scattered issues from April 1965 to
Periodico Informacion, a weekly. The University of Miami has
scattered issues, 30 October 1969 2 September 1988.
RECE: Representacion Cubana del Exilio, a monthly. The University
of Miami has scattered issues, November 1964 to August 1990.
Regreso: Organo Oficial de la Federacion de Propietarios Industriales y
Comerciantes Cubanos de la Florida, a weekly. The University of Miami has
scattered issues, February 1968-March 1974.
Replica: El Periodico de la Verdad Cubana, a weekly. The University
of Miami has scattered issues, October 1963-December 1985.
Trabajo: Organo Oficial de Comando Electrico Nacional 9 de
Diciembre, a monthly. The University of Miami has March 1968-February
Unidad, published at varied frequency by the Secretaria de Prensa y
Propaganda del Movimiento Unidad Revolucionaria. The University of
Miami has a fairly complete run, November 1962 January 1966.
Zig Zag Libre: Semanario Humoristico, a weekly that had been
published in Havana, 1938-1960. The University of Miami has scattered
issues, 1963-1985, of the'Miami title and its successor, Nuevo Zig-Zag, 1988-
In selecting Cuban-exile and other Spanish-language titles from Miami
for preservation, recall that the following have been microfilmed: Diario Las
Americas, 1956-present; El Miami Herald and El Nuevo Herald, 1976-present;
Patria and El Nuevo Patria, a scattered run from 1960 to the present; i.e.,
thirty-three reels of preservation microfilm were produced by the Florida
Newspaper Project in 1995, with use copies to be available at the University of
Florida and University of Miami.
* Glades County is inland, borders Lake Okeechobee on its eastern boundary,
dates from 1921. Its only reported newspaper, the Glades County Democrat, is
published in Moore Haven, the county seat, and has been microfilmed by the
University of Florida from its beginning in 1920 to the present.
* Hendry County is southwest of Lake Okeechobee; Clewiston and LaBelle,
the county seat, are the only towns of note.
9 titles reported, seven from LaBelle, two from Clewiston.
Recommendation: None. Titles are either microfilmed or of low priority.
Independent Newspapers, Inc., publishes eight papers in the general area
around Lake Okeechobee, and the University of Florida microfilms six of
these on an ongoing basis.
* Lee County is on the Gulf of Mexico, includes Sanibel Island, Captiva Island,
Cape Coral, Boca Grande, Fort Myers, and Bonita Springs.
24 titles, including an African-American weekly that is being microfilmed by
the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, a military title published at
Buckingham Field during World War II, and two of the state's most
interesting titles, the American Eagle and the Flaming Sword, both published
by Koreshan Unity. These two titles can be classified variously as
representing the religious press, agricultural and horticultural press, the
political press and environmental press.
Recommendation is to microfilm previously unfilmed issues of the
American Eagle and collate this with the University of Florida's microfilm of
scattered issues from 1911, 1923, 1927, 1929-1931, 1935, 1941, 1946-1948, 1965-
1981, 1983-1985, 1987-1992; to microfilm all of the Flaming Sword if it proves
to indeed be a newspaper. The Pioneer Research Library in Estero has a
complete run of both from 1906 forward.
Future consideration is recommended for the Beach Bulletin of Fort
Myers Beach, Lehigh Acres News, and the Cape Coral Sun. The major source
for area news is the Fort'Myers News-Press, a Gannett paper published for at
least most of this century and largely preserved on microfilm. Nevertheless,
the Beach Bulletin of Fort Myers Beach is an interesting community paper.
The copy in the project's files contains a reminiscence by an early area
resident and a profile of a retiree who has started a robotics company.
Published since 1951, it has been collected consistently by the Fort Myers
Beach Public Library. As for the Lehigh Acres News, it's been published since
1955 in a town that's inland from the densely populated coast.
The Cape Coral Sun had an interesting history 1961-1978 as a free pape
distributed throughout the southeastern United States to prospective buyers
of Florida property. Its original owners are said to have run into political
problems, which led to financial problems and a takeover by a New Jersey
finance company that later went bankrupt. The Cape Coral Museum has
unspecified holdings in storage.
* Martin County is north of Palm Beach, bounded by the Atlantic Ocean on
the east, Lake Okeechobee on the west. Created in 1925, it has two titles that
date from before that time. Stuart is the county seat.
9 database records for five Stuart newspapers plus a St. Lucie edition of the
Stuart News; there is one newspaper for Indiantown, one for Jensen Beach,
and one for Palm City. The earliest newspaper is the Stuart Times, which
began in 1913 and was absorbed by the Stuart Messenger in 1917, two years
after its founding in 1915. The Messenger was in turn bought out and
replaced by the Stuart News in 1925. All of these early titles are largely
microfilmed. Another early Stuart publication, the South Florida Developer,
has also been microfilmed, 1925-1931.
Recommendation is to consider microfilming the Tensen Beach Mirror.
Martin County Libraries have bound volumes for 1961-1979, with four
missing years, and 1980-1985. No Martin County title outside Stuart has been
microfilmed, and only three have been reported. Years of publication for the
Indiantown News and holdings need to be ascertained.
* Monroe County is Florida's southernmost county. Dating from 1823, it
encompasses the Florida Keys. Key West, the county seat, currently has one
daily newspaper and one Spanish-language paper. Other towns currently
supporting newspapers are Marathon (2 tides), Islamorada, and Tavernier.
Two titles are known to have been published in Key Largo.
38 titles, half dating from the nineteenth century. Reporting twenty titles,
fifteen of them microfilmed, Monroe Public Libraries have done a good job of
collection and preservation. Four Monroe County titles are available only
outside the state.
Two of the six Spanish-language titles are from the nineteenth century,
two from'the early twentieth century, and two are recent. Of the three
military titles, one dates from the Civil War, one from World War I, and one
from World War I.
Recommendation is to microfilm the Key West Over Sea Sunday Star, held as
loose issues from July 1929 to June 1930 by Monroe Public Libraries.
Consideration is also recommended for the Reporter published in Tavernier
from the late 1960s to the present. The paper has not been collected by any
institution, and no other title is known for Tavernier. The publisher has
loose issues back to about 1968, bound volumes from 1988 forward.
* Palm Beach County was created in 1909 from what was once the northern
part of Dade County. Like Martin County, it borders the Atlantic on the west,
Lake Okeechobee on the east. The county seat is West Palm Beach.
54 database records for newspapers in a dozen towns and cities. Four titles
date from the nineteenth century, and twenty-four date from before 1950. Of
the seventeen titles currently publishing are two African-American papers,
one business title, one for seniors, and one devoted exclusively to the polo
circuit. The coastal settlements include West Palm Beach (16 records, 8 titles
currently publishing), Delray Beach (7 records), Boynton Beach (5 records),
Boca Raton (4 records), Lake Worth (3 records), and Juno Beach (2 records).
The inland settlements include Belle Glade (3 records), Pahokee (2 records),
and Canal Point (2 records).
Recommendation is to microfilm holdings at the Belle Glade Municipal
Library. These include bound volumes of the Belle Glade Herald for 1949-
1952, a volume of the Belle Glade News from 1941, bound volumes of the
Everglades News from the 1920s, and bound volumes of the Everglades
Observer and later Glades Observer from 1955 forward (1967-1978 are already
filmed). These titles are related and have been preserved in part by the
University of Florida, but the cited holdings do not appear to have been
microfilmed. A unique title at the Belle Glade Municipal Library is the
Pahokee News and Philosophy, surviving as a bound volume from 1933.
The Boca Raton Historical Society has bound volumes of the Boca
Raton News for 1955-1970 that need to be filmed; UMI has microfilmed this
Knight-Ridder title from 1970 forward.
The Boynton Beach City Library has the Boynton Beach News for 1948-
1958 and 1962-1963; has the subsequent Boynton Beach News-Tournal 1968-
1986. Neither title has been collected elsewhere. It also has vol. 3-4 (1974-
1975) of the Times-Leader, another local paper not collected elsewhere.
The Delray Beach Historical Society has twenty-six issues of the Rays of
Delray from 1920-1922 and seven issues of the Delray Daily Developer from
the 1920s. It also holds scattered issues of the Delray Beach Tournal from 1957-
Other interesting titles are the Jupiter Courier, published since 1959 and
held by the publisher from 1964 forward; the Lake Worth Herald published
since 1912 with unspecified holdings at the newspaper office; Our Voice, held
by the American Jewish Historical Society, 1959-1975; Palm Beach Latino,
published since 1976 and collected by the University of Miami, which reports
scattered issues for 1976-1991.