• TABLE OF CONTENTS
HIDE
 Image
 History






Group Title: Historic Florida buildings
Title: The King-Cromartie House
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091442/00008
 Material Information
Title: The King-Cromartie House
Series Title: Historic Florida buildings
Physical Description: Photograph
Language: English
Creator: Henderson, Camille
Publisher: Henderson, Camille
Place of Publication: Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Publication Date: 02/15/2009
 Subjects
Subject: Architecturre -- Historic architecture
Florida -- Fort Lauderdale
King-Cromartie House
Museum
Spatial Coverage: North American -- United States -- Florida -- Broward -- Fort Lauderdale
Coordinates: 26.1194 x -80.1458 ( King-Cromartie House, Fort Lauderdale, Florida )
 Notes
Abstract: The King-Cromartie House was built in 1907 for the first Fort Lauderdale contractor, Edwin T. King. Originally it was only a one story house, but in 1911 a secod floor was added. It is now a historic house museum and open to the public.
General Note: Photograph taken using a Canon Xti
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00091442
Volume ID: VID00008
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.

Table of Contents
    Image
        Page 1
    History
        Page 2
Full Text
The King-Cromartie House
The King-Cromartie House was built in 1907 on the south bank of New River for Edwin T. King and his family. King was the area's first contractor who built many surrounding homes such as the River Inn, the Philemon Bryan House and the Bryan Houses. The house was originally a one story house but in 1911 a second floor was added. The house had running water and carbide lamps. In later years, King's daughter married Bloxam Cromartie, and their family moved into the house. The King-Cromartie family lived in it until 1968. The Junior League of Fort Lauderdale acquired the house in 1971 and moved it to its present location, which is on the north side of New River. It has been a historic house museum and opened to the public since that time. In 1994, the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society assumed custody of the house. http://www.oldfortlauderdale.org



University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs