• TABLE OF CONTENTS
HIDE
 Image
 History






Group Title: Historic Florida buildings
Title: The Stranahan House
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091442/00007
 Material Information
Title: The Stranahan House
Series Title: Historical Florida Buildings
Physical Description: Photograph
Language: English
Creator: Henderson, Camille
Publisher: Henderson, Camille
Place of Publication: Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Publication Date: 02/15/2009
 Subjects
Subject: Architecture -- Historic architecture
Florida -- Fort Lauderdale
Stranahan House
Museum
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States -- Florida -- Broward -- Fort Lauderdale
Coordinates: 26.1184 x -80.1374 ( Stranahan House, Fort Lauderdale, Florida )
 Notes
Abstract: Stranahan House was built in 1901 by Frank Stranahan. It is located on the New River in downtown Fort Lauderdale. The house is now a museum and opened to the public.
General Note: Photograph taken using a Canon Xti
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00091442
Volume ID: VID00007
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.

Table of Contents
    Image
        Page 1
    History
        Page 2
Full Text
Stranahan House
Stranahan House was built in 1901 by Frank Stranahan. It is located on the New River in downtown Fort Lauderdale. Stranahan selected that site because it is where he originally operated his ferry barge across the river. Of all the areas in the city, it is the one that is most closely linked to its foundation and development. Between 1901 and 1906, the house served as a trading post for settlers and Seminole Indians, a post office, a town hall, a community center and a bank. At the time, the house had electric wiring, running water, and indoor plumbing. Frank Stranahan met and married another pioneer, Ivy Julia Cromartie, who was the first Fort Lauderdale school teacher. The house became their home in 1907, and Ivy lived in it until her death in 1971, after which time the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society took possession of the house. Today, the house is a museum and opened to visitors. http://www.stranahanhouse.org/htmllhistory.html



University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs