• TABLE OF CONTENTS
HIDE
 Image
 History






Group Title: Historic Florida buildings
Title: The Matheson Center
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091442/00004
 Material Information
Title: The Matheson Center
Series Title: Historic Florida buildings
Physical Description: Photograph
Language: English
Creator: Stewart, Angela
Publisher: Stewart, Angela
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
Publication Date: 02/14/2009
 Subjects
Subject: Architecture -- Historic architecture
Florida -- Gainesville
Matheson House
Matheson -- Museum
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States -- Florida -- Alachua -- Gainesville
Coordinates: 29.6517 x -82.3202 ( Matheson House, Gainesville, Florida )
 Notes
Abstract: The Matheson House was built in 1867 by James Douglas Matheson and is now the second oldest house in Gainesville. Its style is reminiscent of South Carolina plantations blended with Classic Revival. The Matheson family lived in the house until 1996, at which time the Alachua County Historic Trust acquired the house.
General Note: Photograph taken using a Sony Cybershot digital camera
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00091442
Volume ID: VID00004
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.

Table of Contents
    Image
        Page 1
    History
        Page 2
Full Text
The Matheson House
The Matheson House was built in 1867 by James Douglas Matheson. It is the second oldest house in Gainesville. Matheson was a merchant who emigrated from South Carolina, and the style of his house is reminiscent of South Carolina plantations blended with Classic Revival style with roof finials and an interior staircase exhibiting Gothic characteristics. It was an unusual type of house for Florida at the time. Several years later, Matheson donated the house to his son, Chris Matheson, who became mayor of Gainesville from 1910 to 1917 and later a state legislator. The Alachua County Historic Trust acquired the house in 1996 upon the death of Sarah Matheson, the wife of Chris Matheson. The Matheson House is part of a complex which includes also the Matheson Museum, the Tison Tool Museum and Sweetwater Park. http://www.mathesonmuseum.org/muscomplex.html



University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs