Group Title: Historic St. Augustine: B8-L15
Title: [Message to Bob re investigation of lot 15 block 8]
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091362/00003
 Material Information
Title: Message to Bob re investigation of lot 15 block 8
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: B8-L15
Physical Description: Correspondence
Language: English
Creator: Wiles, Doris C.
Publication Date: 1967
 Subjects
Subject: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
26 Charlotte Street (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Old Blacksmith Shop (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine -- 26 Charlotte Street
Coordinates: 29.895854 x -81.312086
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00091362
Volume ID: VID00003
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution.
Resource Identifier: B8-L15

Full Text







271 CHARLOTTE STREET, SAINT AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA 32084

September 20, 1967

Dear Bob:

This, believe it or not, is a brief report of our investigation
of lot 15 block 8, City map 1923.

Look at the Puente map: Nos. 104 through 109, and No. 111 were
sold by Puente to Fish. No. 110 [ 3 houses] were sold *y Puente to
James Henderson, as shown on the Moncrief map. There is no disposition
of No. 111 by Fish, and no record at all for No. 112 after Puente.

What we are concerned with is the northernmost of 3 buildings
designated by Rocque as No. 68, and by Quesada as No. 56.

Alexander Skinner was in St. Augustine in 1764, November [ after
Puente and before Moncrief]. He was appointed sheriff by Governor
Grant. I think you might consider the possibility that the foundations
you have located, althof stone could have been those of a wooden house.
We just don't find any stone houses.

In 1771 Skinner was granted by the British Crown Lot 4 Albemarle
Block. We do not have the dimensions, but later records seem to indicate
that it included (possibly) Puente 111 and 112; and Rocque 60, 61 and
68.

Skinner sold part of Albemarle 4 to Bernard Spencer [R 68 and 60,
Q 56-7-8]. The other part [R 61 Q 59] went to Scotland to Stage to
Suarez to Ensalada to Bonelli, who still owned it in 1790. It had
a wooden house on it.

Spencer's half went to Oldis, whose widow sold to William Armstrong,
who sold to David Marran. ;

We do not have dates or knowledge of houses because the chain of
title only is recited in a long litigation in second Spanish period
to which I will refer later.

However, Marran says that he came to St. Augustine in 1782 from
Savannah and left in 1784. He bought a HOUSE and lot from Wm Armstrong
for P 120. He had 7 negroes and with their labor and i 10 material,
about 6 mos. after purchase, he built a log house 24 x 16.

Marran sold part [Rocque 60 Quesada 58] to a Wm. Bowman. He rented
one of the houses to a blacksmith, and left his wife in possession to
sell when he departed. He claimed compensation from the British Crown
for a house and lot in St.Augustine, lot 124 feet 6 in front on Charlotte
St., 121 feet depth, with outhouses and garden, valued at h 130.




Lot 15 Blk 8 p 2.


Later Marran sold Rocque 68 3 buildings Quesada 56 and 57, to

David Leary, who sold to Antonio de la Vega on March 10, 1785: House
and lot on Charlotte St.

Lazo sold to Joseph Aguirre: wooden house on Charlotte St. 2
Aguirre sold to Joseph Eldes, house and lot on Charlotte St. c~ ~k.
December 20, 1788, Eldes sold part to Pedro Nevitt: wooden house, [lot] O
18 yds in depth, 14 in front, [Q 56] bounded on one side [N] by Lorenzo
Capo [R 11, Q 52, across the street] and on the other [S] by Eldes'
own house [Quesada 57]

Nevitt's wife sold on January 9, 1791, to Pedro Rodriguez de Cala,
wooden house on Charlotte St, 18 yds in front, bounded north by Capo and
on the other side by Eldes. In front [E] by Miguel Figuera.
This must mean across Charlotte Street: Bartolome Figueras owned Rocque
54; Miguel was his father.

The other part of Eldes' property was inherited by Maria Pons Eldes
widow of Joseph, whose will was filed in 1792. She sold to Pedro Rodriguez:
de Cala on April 15, 1792, a wooden house and lot left to her in her
husband's will. Fronts on Charlotte St 124 feet 6 in on East; on
lane [Cuna] 168 feet 6 in; on south by lands of late Tomas Clarke [Q 65
and part of Puente 110] 164 ft 6 in; on west by other part of said lot,
measuring 149 feet 6 in.

Now Pedro Rodriguez de Cala owns the corner and adjacent south on
Charlotte. He is the last owner we have checked until 1834 when Clements
says the Joseph Eldes property belonged to Jane Rodriguez. Pedro Rodriguez
de Cala had a daughter Juana born in 1798.

In the second Spanish period there was long litigation between Joseph
Eldes and Juan Bautista Paredes concerning R 60 Q 58 on Cuna St, west of
the property we are concerned with here. But it is in these documents
that many of the above transfers are noted, for which we have little or
no details. In the course of this research, however, we have much
information on-the Paredes property, R 60 Q 58, which, by the way, was
also a wooden house.

A detailed, documented report would require investigation of
the actual deeds, rather than the briefs which we have used, plus trans-
lation of such documents as the Eldes will, Paredes-Eldes litigation,
and an appraisal of the Paredes house sold to Bendicho, in the latter's
estate. Some photostats and/or microfilm would be needed, plus consider-
able time. However, it might be worth while in the long run.


S ncerely,



Doris C. Wiles




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs