Block 8, Part of lot 3 (Santoyo House)
When Juan Joseph Elixio de la Puente made his real estate survey in the
waning months of 1763, he recorded property number 107, the present block 8
lot 3, as a tabby (oyster-shell concrete) house belonging to Miguel Santoyo, a
cavalryman. After Great Britain took over Florida the property was among those
consigned to Jesse Fish for resale. In 1769 Fish sold both the house and lot
to George Kemp. By 1788 the tabby house had disappeared, and the vacant lot
was attached to the property immediately north.
A number of years ago the St. Augustine Restoration Foundation, Inc.,
reconstructed the little Santoyo house, which it has leased to private businesses.
The Board plans to continue this use. The property will thus provide another
source of revenue for the state's program.