Group Title: Historic St. Augustine: B8-L2 McHenry House
Title: Don Ildephonse Sanchez de Casahonda
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091356/00007
 Material Information
Title: Don Ildephonse Sanchez de Casahonda
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: B8-L2 McHenry House
Physical Description: Report
Language: English
Creator: EPB Barnes, Eleanor P.
 Subjects
Subject: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
69 Saint George Street (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
McHenry House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine -- 69 Saint George Street
Coordinates: 29.895568 x -81.312954
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00091356
Volume ID: VID00007
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution.
Resource Identifier: B8-L2

Full Text





Sq. "W", 1763.

No. 235-S

Den Idelphongo Sanches de Casahenda


This small block was entirely occupied by Iledephonse
Sanches de Casahonda. There were two houses, one on
Hospital Street and one on Charlotte. To the north was
the little Plaza which today is an extension of the block,
And north of that...the Central Plaza.

To the south was the cross street new known as Artillery Lane.
Den Ildefense was across from the Royal Hospital and Den
Alvaro Lepez de Tolede.

Mencrief in 1765 shows Thomas Rogers in this block.
He was a Sterekeeper, DeBrahm's 1771

Fish had no listing of this property. But William Watsen the
Builder, get possession of it and held it during British Days.
The Block had no British name.

In 2nd Spanish days the houses were in charge of Don Padre
Pedro Camps, Minercan priest, being ewned by young Mateo Hernandes.

Escrituras:: 185v..1785 and 450-1790 gives some answers.
Father Camps was the Guardian of Martin Mateo Hernandez, son
of Rafael Hernandez and Margarita Castel. They had come with the
Minercan Colony from the Isle of Minorca in 1768, both died..leaving
Martin an orphan. William Watson must have taken a fancy to the bey
and left him this property as the deed plainly states...
Et was certified in 1785.

Father Camps died in 1790 and his Will is listed in 450: 1790 Esc:

The Minercans had fled to St. Augustine in 1777 which is where
Watsen must have met and known the bey. The Hernandez and Castel
families were from Mahen, Ciudalela San Phelipe...etc...en the
Islands. Father Camps was frem "an Phelipe, toe.

Lineage of 1st Spanish owner: Sanchez-Casahonda:

Ildephonse was the son of Sebastian Sanchez de Casahenda and
Ana Maria de Leon. He was born Feb. 2, 1718 and his parents were
married Oct. 3, 1715.
By virtue of his mother he was grandson of Juan Jesef de Leon and
Ana Maria de Flerencia(See Assignment: "de Leon-Arguelles")











"S".. -2-


Alse because of this he was great grandson of the elder Den
Lorenze Josef de Leon, No. 2 en the Ruined House list ef 1702.

Ildefense married Oct. 27, 1746, his fourt, cousin, Cecelia Elixie
de la Puente, sister of the mapmaker.

She was the daughter of Antonie Elixie de la Puente and Augustina
Regider. They were married two days after Xmas, 1719.

Augustina Regider was the daughter of the Adj. Gerenime Regider
and Antonia de Arguelles.

Cecelia's grandmothor(Arguelles) and her husband's great grandmother
(Arguelles) were sisters.

In addition to marrying the sister of the map maker, Ildefense
saw his own sister, Mariana Sanchez de Casahonda, marry this
Lmn, Don Juan Elixio de la Puente..(Map and Plan of St. Aug. 1763/64)
This was a very fine family. Connected with the top families
in the town at that time. Mrs. Sanches Casahonda's sister,
another Elixio de la Puente, married Antonio Lopez de Telede,
sen of Alvare.(across the street)

NOTE:

If enly the little Plaza could be restored, the Telede house
and the hospital re-built...the Casahenda residence re-censtructed
to show the life and times of these people. Series of houses
opened to the public for a fee!!!!.
-%B, ,


I \




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs