DE MESA MEETING WITH BOB HARPER AND VALERIE
April 26, 1988
1. Hallway floor canvas--design is art nouveau.
a. New hallway light needed, put ropes to lower and raise, sand in it.
2. Graining of doors-put a colored varnish over it if possible. It has a
polyurethane in it now. Comes in colors now.
3. Put glass around door and take plexiglass out.
4. Exterior shutters are tacky and wrong; photos show a solid shutter.
5. Crown molding in hall is incorrect (very expensive to replace).
6. Hallway is 19th century. Would be very plain. Put clothing in hall.
7. Interpret as Hispanic American business man.
8. Replace wall map on linen canvas with dowels with finials; paint black;
put nail in crown molding and cord.
9. Large table: replace top with thin one.
10. Chippendale chair: slip cover, small flowers and ruffle. Seat is too
elegant because chair is 100 years old by this time. Muslin?
11. Spittoon on piece of painted canvas.
12. Chess board is too pretty; should be plainer.
13. Business probably a little bit of everything; put more things in office.
14. Put liquor set in dining room.
15. Should have green bottle of liquor and two tumblers.
16. Put shelves with stuff on them, packages, boxes, munitions, etc.
17. Guides are not to give a tour of furniture, but of the lifestyle.
18. Hang up deerhorns, etc.
19. Put out stationery (Easton stationery, antique letters, hat, vest).
20. Storeroom--add shelves, more barrels, corks for bottles.
21. Upstairs hall-lamp.
22. Fainting couch-too late (1850s) and fabric is all wrong.
23. White fabric on sofa is wrong too; could slipcover it; should be
DE MESA MEETING WITH BOB HARPER AND VALERIE -2-
April 26, 1988
24. Make curtains for all windows.
25. Winter curtains should be replaced.
26. Put that summer curtain up!
27. Painted window shades would liven up the room.
29. Downstairs parlor--melodian is 1850s.
30. Put cloth on table, blue, nice with wide black grosgrain ribbon on it.
31. Put his bottle and glasses in office.,
32. Slipcovers should be without piping and tie in the back.
33. Could put painted shade in here too.
34. Bring in more shells, small vases with botanical samples in them.
a. Could put a plant in here-sweet potato vine, geranium, etc., plain
pots, at fruit stand.
35. Lamps are organ lamps; they did not have them here according to records;
besides they are now kerosene lamps.
36. Need a lamp on center table.
37. Fireplace was in back bedroom (upstairs) originally; black is correct color.
38. Fireplace could have a board -n front of it.
39. Downstairs floor could be darkened by oil.
40. Dining room-need large napkins in napkin rings of silver, pewter, bone,
41. Need cloth under glasses on sideboard, a narrow runner.
42. Put potted plants in windows.
43. Curtains could be tacked to a board and pulled back with rings that pull
44. Maid's room needs curtain on inside.
45. Get rid of Guatamalan cupboard.
46. Close door to dining room and open door to kitchen.
DE MESA MEETING WITH BOB HARPER AND VALERIE -3-
April 26, 1988
47. David Parker has a chandelier that would be perfect for dining room;
put gauze over it.
48. Upstairs bedroom--Catholic it up.
a. Valerie has a little painting with a fancy frame.
b. Hang rosary by bed with painting and shelf (Ron can make it).
c. Use Santos with glass eyes that is in government house.
49. Create a triangular closet with fabric curtain and clothes in it.
50. Make bathroom--curtained off triangle with potty and bathtub. Also put
quiltes in here. There's a quilting frame that we could get which stands
against the wall.
51. Front upstairs door louvered in early photo.
52. Other back room-Hispanic grandmother (Minorcan). It would be common for
here to be here; put in baby bed too (we have a lathe-turned Spanish bed
and trunk in here). Sitting room too; very religious.
53. Child's room-needs another mattress.
54. Upstairs front parlor-turn chair to desk and put footstool at couch.
55. We could slipcover the fainting couch and put it downstairs. Put other
chair out of hall back into room.
56. Put lamp in middle of table on a doily.
57. Piano needs cover--olive green moire with embroidery to match gold trim.
Turn it more catercorner.
GO TO: Calico Corners, San Jose Blvd. Get tassle trim for curtains
Bruenschwag and Fies
ASK: Muriel Palmer at Carlton's to find horsehair in colors.
Could use mirrors on stairway
Interpreters don't tell other visitors what some visitor said.
Anthea: cheese cloth curtains.
YARD: Shelldrive, citrus, privy and well. More fence?