Group Title: Historic St. Augustine: De Mesa Sanchez House, Block 7 Lot 6
Title: Text for de Mesa recording
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091263/00183
 Material Information
Title: Text for de Mesa recording
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: De Mesa Sanchez House, Block 7 Lot 6
Physical Description: Report
Language: English
Creator: Hanson, Steve
Ken, John
Publication Date: 1979
 Subjects
Subject: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
43 Saint George Street (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
de Mesa-Sanchez House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine -- 43 Saint George Street
Coordinates: 29.896429 x -81.313225
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00091263
Volume ID: VID00183
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution.
Resource Identifier: B7-L6

Full Text




Text for de Mesa Recording


Welcome to San Agustin Antiguo. This is the de Mesa House, named

after its first documented owner, Antonio de Mesa, a treasury official

during the first Spanish Period in St. Augustine.

De Mesa came here from Mexico and it was here that he was married

and raised 7 children. When the de Mesas lived here, this was only a

single story structure made of coquina, a locally available shellstone.

The de Mesa family fled St. Augustine just before the British occupation

in 1764.

During the brief British Period, this house was granted by the

government to Joseph Stout in 1771 and when Spain resumed control of

Florida in 1784, Stout sold the house to Juan Sanchez, a royal official

from the Province of Analucia in Spain. Both Stout and Sanchez remodeled

and enlarged the structure, and by 1802 the house had been converted to

two stories. The Sanchez family held the house until 1832 and in the

following 10 years the new owners altered the structure to its present

configuration.

We are presently restoring the de Mesa House with great care to

preserve its original materials and to re-establish its authentic appearance

as it was in the early 1800's when Florida became a territory of the

United States.

The de Mesa House project represents a 2 year research and restoration

effort by the Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board, an agency of

the State of Florida. It was made possible by a generous contribution

from the St. Augustine Restoration Foundation Inc., and a Grant-in-Aid

from the Heritage Conservation and Recreation Service. The de Mesa

House will be open to the public when the project is completed.











We invite you to visit the other buildings of San Agustin Antiguo.

Tickets for admission to the buildings are available from the ticket

window at the north end of St. George Street.

We hope you enjoy your "walk through history" in San Agustin Antiguo.


Taped 11 September 1979 Steve Hanson, Ken John




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs