• TABLE OF CONTENTS
HIDE
 Front Cover
 Front Matter
 Preface
 Main
 Back Cover
 Back Matter






Title: Wat One Sees in the House in the Wood.
ALL VOLUMES CITATION THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091251/00002
Finding Guide: A Guide to the May Mann Jennings Papers
 Material Information
Title: Wat One Sees in the House in the Wood.
Physical Description: Artifact
 Subjects
Subject: Jennings, May Mann, 1872-1963
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00091251
Volume ID: VID00002
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.

Table of Contents
    Front Cover
        Front Cover 1
        Front Cover 2
    Front Matter
        Page 1
        Page 2
    Preface
        Page 3
        Page 4
    Main
        Page 5
        Page 6
        Page 7
        Page 8
        Page 9
        Page 10
        Page 11
        Page 12
        Page 13
        Page 14
        Page 15
        Page 16
    Back Cover
        Page 17
        Page 18
    Back Matter
        Page 19
Full Text


.44.7



rer.







CIA
. . -.
^ ,. *' ", .

















--.:... ,. '.., .. P '








'"- .:. -.... '










:": . ..











A DESCRIPTION


OF


THE ROYAL


IN THE


WOOD.


HOUSE















PREFACE.



The Royal House in the Wood was begun
in the year 1640 by Prince Frederick Henry,
the youngest son of Prince William the first,
-who was surnamed William the Silent.
As Prince Frederick Henry died in the
House in 1647, he could not finish the buil-
ding and the work was carried on by his
wife Princess Amalia of Solms, who finished
the House in 1648.
From that time the House has been occu-
pied by different relations of Queen Wilhel-
mina who were especially Governors or Stad-
holders.
The last Royal family who lived in the
House, was the father of Queen Wilhelmina







4

with his first wife Queen Sophia. This Queen
died in the House in 1877, and after that
time the House has never been occupied as
a residence.
However in 1899 the House was selected
for the convocation of the first peace Con-
ference.














Entering the House.


After entering the House one goes upstairs
and sees some pictures of the different
Stadholders of Holland and their families.
Among these pictures is the one of Princess
Amalia of Solms.
This was the Princess by whose order the
Orange-room was painted in order to per-
petuate the remembrance of the life of her
husband Prince Frederick Henry.



The dining-room.

In this room are two famous pictures of
which it is hard to tell whether they are
paintings or relief. They are painted by de
Wit in 1749, and one represents Meleager
and Atalanta, and the other Venus and
Adonus.










In the corner near the window is some old
Delft-ware. The twelf plates, represent the
twelf different months of the year.
In an other corner of the room, are some
Chinese and Japanese plates. and they repre-
sent the coats of arms, of the seven provinces
which Holland had. The screen is embroidery,
and the ceiling plaster-work.





The Chinese-room.

The furniture, and the paper on the walls,
was presented by the Emperor of China in
1792 to William the fifth and his wife. Only
the chandelier is a gift from Frederick the
Great of Prusia, and is made of Dresden
porslain.
The table is inlaid with mother of pearl.
The chairs and sofa are Chinese needle-
work.
The Chinese looking-glasses are painted
behind the glass. The cabinet is Dresden
porslain. The mantle-piece has the form of










a Chinese temple, and the wall-paper repre-
sents the whole cultivation of rice.
One will also notice a Chinese clock with
Chinese ciphers on it.




The Japanese-room.

The whole room and furniture was given
by the Emperor of Japan in 1792, and to
the same family namly William the fifth-and
his wife.
The work on the walls is made of satin,
and is all hand-work.
There are two very fine jewel boxes made
of Sad-soema. Two beautiful Japanese cabi-
nets, of which one is always opened.
The chandelier is made of a Japanese-teaset.
One sees also some cloisson6 vases, and
an aquarium where Queen Sophia had gold-
fish in.









The Boudoir.

This room and furniture is a present from
a Chinese Princess.
The Chinese embroidery on the walls, is
silk on white satin, and the Chinese figures
in it, are all different. In a glass-chest are
some wonderful ivory carvings, and a box
made of turle-shell.
On the chest is a carved buffalo's-horn,
and its pedestal is of ebony wood.
This is all Chinese hand-work. The looking-
glasses and the chandelier is Venetian-glass.
The table and writing-desk are inlaid with
mother of pearl.
The two cloisson6 vases, is a wedding-
present from Lihung Chang to Queen Wil-
helmina.
Out of this room, one has a beautiful
vieuw into the garden.



The Orange-room.

This is the very room in which in 1899
the first peace conference was held.









The whole room was painted between 1648
and 1652 by nine pupils of the great painter
Rubens, and the paintings. form an allegorical
representation of the life of Prince Frederick
Henry.
The beginning is above the doors by which
one intered. That picture represents the birth
of Prince Frederick Henry received by Mars
the God of war.
The black figure in the painting, is William
the Silent the father of the young Prince, who
was assassinated in 1584, the same year when
the Prince was born and that is the reason,
why the death is behind him.
The lady. sitting in a chair is Louise de
Coligny, who was the mother of Prince
Frederick Henry.
The picture above this, represents Apollo
the God of Sun, who appears at the birth
of the Prince.
On each side the Muses and on the mount
Pernassus. The left picture below, represents
the forging of the arms for the war, and the
painting on the right, is Venus assisted by her
nymphes, to hang up the ensigns of peace. These
two paintings are begun by Rubens him self.









The upper picture in the right corner are
Prince Frederick Henry and his brother on
horseback, returning from the battle at New-
poort; this happened, then the Prince was
16 years of age.
The picture in the left upper corner re-
presents Prince Frederick Henry, instructed
in the art of fortification.
Above the windows, is a painting which
represents the marriage of the Prince with
the Princess Amalia of Solms in 1625.
The seven children in the painting repre-
sent the seven Provinces of Holland, where the
Prince was the ruler of. Above that is Venus
in the triumphalcar and represents fidelity.
The upper picture on the left side of this,
represents the arrival of Mary, daughter of
Charles the first and Prince William the
second, from England into the Netherlands.
The painting below is father-time, who is
destroying the old generation, and producing
the modern.
The upper picture opposite this one, re-
presents the marriage of the eldest daughter
of Prince Frederick Henry to the Great
Elector of Brandenburg.










The lower peases represent arms, taken
from the Spaniards during the war. Very
curious are the pictures on the doors of the
main entrance to the room. They represent
Hercules and Menerva, opening the doors, to
let peace come in. The paintings on both
sides of the doors represent treasures wich
were taken from the Spaniards.
The painting above these doors represents
the appointment of Prince Frederick Henry,
as a Governor of Holland. One sees the
Prince on horseback receiving the scepter
from the Dutch-Maid near the lion. The
cupids, holding the coats of arms, represent
the seven provinces where the Prince became
Governor of. The lower painting on the right
represents Spanish-prisoners.
' A very famous painting is that largest one,
painted by Jordaans in four years time.
It means the triumphal entrance of Prince
Frederick Henry, after he had conquered the
City Bois le Duc in 1629. One sees the
Prince, seated in the triumphal-car and four.
A little on the right of him is his son William
the second on horseback, at the head of
some knights.









There behind, is a statue to John the an-
cient, brother of William the Silent, and on
the other side, is that of William the Silent
himself. At the foot of this statue, is the
picture of the painter. A little higher is the
statue of peace, surrounded by cupids, who
unrol a parchment on which is written :,,The
most splended and greatest victory, is the
one by which peace has been obtained".
The skeleton in the painting, represents
the dangerous position of Prince Frederick
Henry, whose reign was nothing but fight.
The angel fighting against the death, re-
presents the protecting for the Prince's life.
The painting above this one, is a repre-
sentation of the death of the Prince, suppor-
ted by faith, hope and charity. The upper
painting on the left side, represents Prince
Frederick Henry struggling against hate and
calumny. The one below this painting are
the wife and four daughters of the Prince,
siting on his grave.
The painting in the right upper corner
represents Charles the first King of Britain
on horseback, riding over a bridge which
was supported by hise people.









The purpose where the room was used
for, was for ball-room.
Way up in the cupola was the place for
the musicians. One sees the picture of the
Princess Amalia of Solms painted on the
middle of the ceiling; this is better to be
seen, if one looks in the table which is made
of poffery. The two sevres vases in a present
from Napoleon the third to Queen Sophia.
One goes now through the fastebule or
principal entrance, in which are several pic-
tures of the Orange Family, and pursues to
the private
Sitting-room.

In this room is the picture of Queen
Sophia the last lady who has lived in the
House.
The two pictures one on each side of this,
are the parents of Queen Sophia, who were
King and Queen of Wurtenburg.
The picture of the grand-mother of Queen
Wilhelmina hangs on the opposite wall.
Below this picture is a beautiful pease of
mosaic, which is a present from the Pope
Pious the ninth.









On each side of this is a picture that
represents a Royal Hunting-party at Fon-
tainbleau. A very fine picture is that of John
Lothrop 1\otley, who was an America Histo-
rian. It was painted by Bisschop. Between
the windows is a picture of Napoleon the
third and the Empress Eugenia his wife.
The picture which stands on an eazel, was
painted by four Dutch ladies and given to
Queen Sophia-on her silver-wedding.
It represents orphans from the Hague and
Scheveningen who are waiting for the Queen,
to present her flowers.
The sofa and chairs are made by twelf
maids of honour of the Queen Sophia and
given to her as a silver-wedding present.
There is one chair in the room, which is
made of teak-wood and all hand-carving.
The table is inlaid with copper and turtle-
shell.
The two babies, a sleeping and a playing
one, are made out of one pease of marble.
A small table before the window represents
all the fables of Lafonteine.
Very interested are the two vases made
of carved cocoanuts and standard-gold.









The table with a clock in the middle, is
made of lapislazuly. This is the last of the
interior of the House which is worth to
describe.

N.B. The statue out side, is that of Prince
Frederick Henry given by the German
Emperor in 1908 and unveiled by Queen
Wilhelmina. The four marble figures
which are at the main entrance repre-
sent four different Stadholders.





Published by S. VAN DER VLUGT,
Official guide at the Hague Station,

64 JACOB VAN CAMPENPLEIN.







-I' Doi. ON FT1J ) FTACIIT F,,'t
i~hnA1 N' AI:~[; IXVJ ]) NTI. HD II-R, 11rA~.-
MON ~ 1 PO 1 \NT] N G,"1 AT CAS'TL-E, OP~ fL
MD)E TI1.112 A*GI'A~Q NV]N2O TViRD, D


~ 7$V$ i7: .,zd iiZ tjaC2rS,

i~0nZ~'er ZjZ /t7e s~row~o~Jul 2;zvb7i7
Sa2Lf w~z>jg' on 3 Cazw47
XT,2Zv$- '2C { aa* Z77




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs