SYNOPSIS OF AVERO HOUSE (Minorcan Chapel)
lot and coquina house owned by the Averos, a prominent
and 1753-63 the house was enlarged and remodeled.
the Averos evacuated St. Augustine.
Patrick Tonyn, the British Governor, gave the house
to the Minorcan priest, Father Pedro Camps, who in
November 1777 converted the ground floor into
"a private oratory for the Catholic Minorcans."
The only place of public worship in British St. Augustine prior
to the arrival of the Minorcans was the Anglican church, formerly the
La Soledad parish church. As a result, the Governor, in honoring
the freedom of religion clause in the 1763 treaty, granted the
Minorcans the use of the Avero building which was located in a
part of the town inhabited largely by Minorcans.
the house was listed as a masonry building with a two story section.
Its condition was reported as "bad."
the heirs of the Averos sold the lot as well as the walls of an
the lot was resold with a rebuilt coquina house.
Walter Frazer acquired and remodeled the house.
presently owned by the National Greek Orthodox Church
No proof of ownership by the Salazar family despite the coat of
arms on the facade.
Michael C. Scardaville