THE HISTORIC AMERICA BUILDINGS SURVEY
PHOTO-DATA BOOK INF(MATION
No. 39 ST. GEORGE STREET
St. Augustine, Florida
National Park Service
Eastern Office Division of Design and Construction
St. Augustine Field Office
PART I GENML
Name of structures
Number of stories
Type of wall construction:
Condition of fabrics
Significance and merit
No. 39 St. George Street, St. Augustine, St.
Johns County, Florida (so called "Salzaxr
House" see historical note below).
Colonial St. Augustine, Inc. (private
2 story rectangular block with open loggia
on S. E.
Almost totally restored, neglected but
Little. Restoration is almost complete and
since it was based on Continental Spanish
precedent of the 16th and 17th century, ex.
oept for the location of existing walls at
the time of restoration, it probably bears
little relation to the original structure.
The house in its original form has been
identified with the Avero family (see
Historical Section below) a family promi-
nent in St. Augustine during the First
Spanish Period. It is also known locally
as the "Minorcan Chapel" although this
cannot be documented.
rurn f tMk n'wA4MV W"
Overall dimensions a 42 x 37' exclusive of passage,
Foundations Coquina blocks neote "oquiQa" is local shell.
*tone quarried on nearly Anastasia Island and
used for construction in St. Augustine sinea
1580 (letter to King fram oov. Nmmndos Marqusm,
De. 27, 1583),
Wall construction Coquina blocks laid in roughly horizontal
ooursea in li e aortar plastered inside and
out. -notes coMqlotely restored front is un.
plastered and onay traee. of exterior plater
remain on other elevations.
Porches, etc., None except impraoticable iron balconies in
the Spanish style have boon added to 2nd floor
widaows on N, and 1.
Chimneys, (1) coquina masonry, 2 flues.
Openings doordoo and doors All are restorations. Openings are ai1ple
masonry, except center entrance on St. George,
Street which has carved over-door with
escutcheon in plateresqu style (restoration).
windows and shutters 12 It. d, h. windows on upper floor* 2 wood
Lower floor windows without sashub, inside solid
Wall and ceiling finish
Doorways and doors:
(1) straight run from open loggia below to smi-
enclosed stair-hall above. Wood treads, risers,
1st floors modern concrete slab (built to re-
cieve Spanish tile which was never installed),
loggia has crude ceramic tile* 2nd floor: wood.
Plaster on mraaaonry and wood lath except on lower
floor where wood beams are exposed and ceilings
are wood plank (restored)*
None original all either restorations (lst
floor) or crude replaeemants (2nd floor).
No inside trim on 1st floor openings.
None original or of interest.
Modern electric (2nd floor only)*
Fireplaces and stovo (2nd floor)*
Faces west; W. facade directly on St. Qeorge
Street; adjacent building on S., vacant lot
Coquina wall encloses open area on E. Small
passage leads from street to rear of house.
No formal landscaping, neglected rear enclosed
PART MIi - HISTCR!
General 3h a recent research paper (Charleu W.
Arnade, "The Awvro Storys An Uarly St.
Augustine ?aally A i thM DYAW ughters
and any Houses," norda Ntorrio
it has been shoun that this house as
Antonio Aw-ros "large homr*' hoich she
inherited front her grand parents and
stated was exiat4rai in 1712. The build-
ing appears on the Juan Elixio de la
Puente MW- of 1761 s- B1loktT nn ebr 81.
TGere iea local tradition that the build-
ing served as a chapel for the Mnorcan
colony during the oglish period in the
late 18th century and this in semuhat
oonfirmed by a 1784* description (Eaoritura
July 17%8l,-tr., 1787) of the pzeprty iLm-
diately to the Vsoth (No. 43 St. Qeorge
Street, OAs 1961) on being bounded on the
north by 'the church of the Anorcarns.1
On the 1788 maap of 1ariano d la, Roque the
building appears as ntAierb 5, Block Z and
"In charge of" Antonio Fearoande who was
evidently acting Lwr the Avero heirs.
This 1788 structure is much larger than
the present building.
The building has evidently =nderge many
changes and after it uae required by
Colonial St. Augustine, Mae. ( a private
corporation) in the 19391' it has been
oopletely restored' in an unconvincing
CoUtinental Spanish style. The main walls
however and possibly the arches in the rear
are those of the building as it existed in
1939. The full extent of the original house
an onl b known by be known by below ground archeo-
This building was recorded at the "peoial
request of the St*. Agustin* IBstorical
restoration and Preservation Cosaissioa,
Notes on alterations sad additionss
Dipertant old views s
Houe was originally wah larger
but exact extent unknown (of de Ia
by$ ~Prest~ owner.
Old photo of N. St. Os(orge Street
(date lunne ) showing St. Qee
St. frent before 'restoratlcn.'
SOrftOES OF IBNFQRE~&TrION:
Chas. Wo zrnade, 'The Avey'o Story, An hrly St. kAugutine
Fanltly With 1ry Irug ht'rs sad Muaiy lIums, florida
itstortial rlrv, Vol XIII, No. 1, Juty, ~9I.7
Noport on Antonlo Avero 'a No ze for St. Augustie listorical
Society by M1*'. Albert Johnson; MS in Hist. Soc. Library.
Analysis of Awero Corplex by Er. John R. tunkle, Report for
St. Augusti s Historical butoration and Preservation Commissoln.
Juan Zlixto d, l]a Neat. pi (photostat copy)
riano dea~o~ (photostat ccopy)
Prepared b_ _
HADS Field Office