eleanor CPLZhIps arnmes
26 2c&dillan dfreet
co). ugustine, lorlda
SALAZAR HOUSE(of today)
NAME. .................. OWNER ................ DATE
Antonia de Avere pre--1764
On the Puente Map, No. 81. Sq. E
House of stone of Antonia de Avero
Antonia was a woman, born 1717
daughter of Victoriano de Avero and
Francesca de Valle.
She was wife of Joseph Guillen of
She had 4 sisters...Juana, older,
born 1715, wife of Geronimo de Hita
Manuela, b. 1719, Mrs. Marcos Rosendo
Ursela, b. 1723, Mrs. Diego RepiladoA ~' '-
Maria, b. 1726
During the British Period this was the Grants Block
Comparing all the names in Block or Square E with the
list in Fish Agcount book, only a few are mentioned
with no entries by them....Antonia de Avero was NOT
But No. 79, just north of Geronimo d6 Hitas house
was Bernardo Gonzales.,...Capt. Andres Rainford
got this in 1777...
no. 80 the de Hita house was taken over by Capt. Rainford
in 1765 or 1777(check)
No. 83 the Lucas Escovedo House became the property of
Jose Peso de Burgo, next to Sp.Inn. south..
No. 88 the home of Francisco Xavier Montes de Oca went to
Capt. Farelamb and William Alexandro...so in this small area
during British days..1763-1783...owners all around the Avero Rouse
RAINFORD-FARELAMB-ALEXANDRO-PEBO de BURGO
Minorcans came up to British Augustine in 1777...
Compare statement by Father Camps, Nov. 1777 transfer of Church
to Augustine. (St. Peter's Register) Clavreul' booklet also.
ee Mrs. Johnson's meme....
See Seibert's Vol. 1 p 175..Regarding Minorcan Chapel '
See Census 1783: Phs.10-11 about acr&stan, Lorenzo Capo
Also Maenre Rock, 1783, sheet 16,..living in the Chapel of
So the Avero House was by tradition the Chapel of the Minorcans.
Roque Map shows this place as
No. 5, B1. 2 in care or charge
of Antonio Fernabdez...
Spain had regained control in
1783...Only two Ita y Salazars
to come back were...
Eugenia Hita y Salazar
and Mrs, Francisco del Canto(%rancesca Ita y Salazar)
See 1793 Census
gBy JgN, perhaps before Eugenia Hita y Salazar is
living in the Avero House..She just "OCCUPIES"
it...North of her is her sister and brother in law.
the del Cantos...Dim6nsions are given and boundaries .
The sister, Mrs4 de Canto, was living in or on the site
of the Hita y Salazar house.....at least north of the
AVERO HOUSE known today as SALAZAR....
Eugenia died 1797, leaving no specified real estate.
It was still the property of the HEIRS of AVERO
HEIRS of AVERO ........................... 1815
Ar, this time Manuel Castillo and other
heirs of Antonia de Avero sold to
Josefa Montes de Oca... ......... 1815
gives boundaries, same as
house occupied by niece
of Antonia de Avero, Eugenia Hita
See Mrs. Johnson's memo... I
Romero....'.** ed t
In deed of 1837 whet conve ng it to
Carreras it was recorded"M'.p454 / t i -
that it was house above...
Juan Carreras.....*.......... .1837
Then widow of Juan conveyed it to their son..
Then division of properties made in 1869
others 1857,,all give same boundaries .
HENCE the AVERO HOUSE is the AVERO or GUILLEN HOUSE
not the SALAZAR HOUSE AT ALL]]]
16 November 1958
Memoerandiu to the Direetor.
Re: Miworan Chapel (Church of the Mahonese)
The original eequina walls of the Minorean Chapel are
believed yet standing at Number 41 St. George Street. The
front of the buildings has been completely removed and re-
built of briek, inside partiti as removed and changes made in
interior, making this into store space. A view of the old
walls, north and south expoeures can be had, fr a Sto George
Street. A chain of titles for this property been se-
cured as far as references and reserds are available. In-
formation for the English period is almost entirely lacking.
The Spanish census of 1785 (Webb Memerial Library)
mentions "John Imrie, native of Scotland, lives in rented
house joined to the Minorean Chapel'. Also on Ph. #10-11
"Old Pleridians, Minorcans, Greeks and Italians", Lerenzo
Capo, C. A. R. native of Minora and for this reason is con-
sidered a natural subject of his Majesty, and as such desires
to remain in the country, he is sacristan of the Minorean
Chapel, he has a wife and two sons house his own property,
situated in the end of the settlement near the castle". On
sheet 16 of the Spanish Census also notes that "Naenre Rock,
native of Villaneuva de Siches(?) religion, C. A. R.: he has
a. wife And daughter he has an Indian boy, he lives in the
Chuk h of the aon .2
Church of the Mahonese'.
The do la Roeque map of 1788 (Webb Memorial abrary)
shows a building of some kind and of considerable size on
this site, setting directly on St. George Street, extensions
toward the east and south (at &ast end of house). The key
to this map lists this as Numbor 5, Block 2, 'A house of stone
and mortar, with one of the inside divisions, with a portion
of ground plot adjoining, with the enclosure of that which
corresponds to the house, also of stone; the flat roofs,
framework and floors which are in bad condition in the eare
of Don Antonio Pernandezu
This building is more fully described in the Assessor's
Inventory, 1803, (Webb Memorial Library) and is listed as
Number 45, Block 7, "House of coquina, and lot of the King,
occupied by Dona Eugenia Hits y Salasar, bounded on the west
by Calle Real, east, Kings lot, north, Don Praneisoo Cantos,
south, Juan Sanohes. The measurements given as 15 yards
north-south, and 1001 yards east-west, 1506 realsa assessed
separately are: stone wall 30 yards in length, 4 in height.
2 sections of walls 11 yards long: 2 arches in middle with
three pillars of hewn stone, 1 Espencita(small extension)
1 patio wall 14 yards long 3- high. 2 other walls in one part
of patio 17 yards length another section of wall 5 5/4
yards in length, 2 walls of tiles, 12 yards in length, 2
fronts 11 yards, a stairway of atone and 3 pillars, wall
On August 21, 1815, in East Florida Pap ers, ( Webb
Memorial Library) is record of sale *Manuel Castilla for
himself and other heirs of Antonio de Avero to Josefa
Montes de Oea, widow, eoquina house on St. George Street
whieha is west boundary, south by heirs of Juan Sanchez, east
by land adjoining Castle of St. Marks, north by Juan Triay;
at settlement of estate part only was included, measuring 15
yards the remainder bought of Francisco del Canto over 15
years ago. A year later, on August 16, 1816, (p. 356)
the East Florida Pap er, Webb Memorial Library, Josefa Montes
de Ooa conveys house bought from Castilla August 21, 1815 and
in which is stated that Castilla in 1815 acted as agent of
Isabel Rodriguez, and measurements given as 91 yards east-
west and 52 yards north-south.
On September 16, 1816 (#380) (East Florida Psp era, Webb
Memorial Library) Isabel Rodriguez executes a mortgage bond
"to pay her minor children the amount due from her husband's
estate and pledges her house on St. Goerge Street which is
west boundary, heirs of Juan Sanchez, south, land of St.
Marks Castle on the east and Juan Triay on the north, measur-
ing north-south 52 yards, east-west 91 yards, bought August
16 last, from Josefa Montes de Oea."
The next owner is Bibiana Romero, who by her attorney
Jose Valentine Romero, on March 10, 1857, recorded in Deed
Book "M" p. 454 in St. Johns County Archives, conveyaa6e
to Juan Carreras, for $1020, of dwelling house and let of
land on St. George Street, which is west boundary, south by
house and lot lately of Melizit, deceased, but now of Seth
K. Gifford, east by vacant lands, north by John Triay, de-
ceased, measuring in front 42 ap. yards. east-west 91 yards.
The said house ad lot being the Oase which was purchased by
Josaea lMontOs de fa from ManMel Castilla on August 21, 1815,
and sold by the said ontes do Oea to Iabel Redrigues August
Thirty year later, in 186,V Dood Book *R3 p. 857, St.
Johna Ceunty Archieas, shows that Pranaeo Caraerr widow
of John, eoveyed to Stephan Carara as ohare of the estate
of John Carreras, be~nadd west by St. George Street, on the
north, now Celestine and Peter ~tlay and Fort green, east by
Port green and Charlette Street and let* of Antonio Genovar,
south by house and lot of Mary Stryaesa, called the 'St
The next transfer of titles to this property is recorded
ia Deed oeek "V' p. 156, in 1869, in which the )irs otf Jeohn
Carreras apportion as share of eateto to Mary Carreras and
Willia 1 J Reyess also states divisr i of property made
July 18?. sft asa boudaries are given as in dood of 1867.
In Webb Maorial Library is filed a booklet "Notes on
the Catholic COhreh n Florida 1586-1876' by VWry Roe. P.
Clarreul, vf7. printed by Abbey Preas St. Leo Piorlda,
pages not numbered if which ho quotes statement written and
signed by Father Cas"s, November 9, 1 777 the translation
reads "On the 9th day eot oveiber, 177, the church of San
Pedro has been transferred from Mosquito to the oity of St.
Augustine, with the same colony of :'ahonese, who had settled
in said locality and the same Res*l* and Missionary, Pedro
Camp'. When the lew Sayrna refugees arrived at St. Augustine
there were yet standing two ehmurhes, the Bis*'t reasldneee
.*a nlga~n Whapo
an ha ripel adot ws lan bUt they Pna ned otnd
to 0r wortly PriUst end bhU iaies Pathter Cuaps was i gedlt
to hti a rVsz _- same w sluAs*n th t* fta in tih north*
*am par t oi et l w"$ td be argrn r ae to hI poipli.
aehtar 0amps die at St. aguatiu, My 17, lwOO, *
react *r 1s l tat giavsn by Pathter NIeSei O'felly, who
gsans hiself a* nftteb r Cam"s owobrt wenmm, imtfa ns
that the beloved PrIrt had bee b-en at mazmoft, nd the
Ilm SJdat Itma tn- td hat he was Stll years *la. HM -m
ntwterrd aidst th tears of his pewpr i s boy Wa 4*0
reaw to vault it te ~cboh we ently built, met the Ceat
edarI, wbhn it u fi 1 in1T w ehn seavouttl p avp-se*
twy tf th butlldfisg of t e sahr, e ept the tar rllms,
is the prfINg of that yPw
~ta tee eina ahal l exist aM yrWd beftwoe 0s
n rtm watn asa, v mro-N atS wais MaIld a a tvate hoeni
Mill the o" Otvy t fohemamr MpUseepal staaie dheal
be team late a btiumuy Mpet. Pwthlr istamitten 3ll
ginvs in Lafltats in Psisth' (Btibert) vi.0 14 p, p1i
qtttiag 'in ul"W Mtans htttvg bWeen leroe t to Nast 71U4ft
ixn xtraet yver"*, thby prospered thragh their iaanstry
and fpiugalty. They maintalaed a small d*eoated hlapel r
St. At# utin, mhik was tIor tbi 4 e ot a Priest was
isrue. So MAesN& lUG tbony eflmt seal the la rges part
ot the nst fh psatltaR. Sh tlsn PRta4tl PMLa hw,
tee uygs saled ?flm op, teRsOA te Ite s t he *eeky
along with the osveano, but the Spanish G oernment brought
him a preatuiom in the eChrh of Minoea, bringing in three
other priests, two of whom were Irishen.
The do la Puante ap of 1763 shemr a building on prseet
site of farmer ohapol, indicated n kI p atn # ue ,! &-
and aCeeo ing to references given in abo E notes and also
refermnes mad4 to Nftnran Chapel or hn ch of the lMa*thsoe
given as north boendaey of the Jmna Sanahes property, ad*
Joining or the aeuth, eWverPing a period ftem 17M to 193,
it appears that the walls now remaining are those of the
2Spanlsh Censas of 1783. WObb IbMeorial Ltxrary.
Key to de la Rooque map 1788 and mp in Webb oemorial Librarb y
4A or Invetoy 188
oast Florida Papos, 1815 Webb mrwilal Library.
6asat fPorida Pa pl 181 Wobb N mr il Library.
'East Florida Papel, 1816 Webb e0rial Librarl
%t. Johnu Conty hives, Deed Beeo "* p. 454.
'St. car mas Ahblves, Deed Bock *R" p. 157.
.*bas AeuI ADo" Dee tsek OY 156.
too os ean Cathel a Chureh n Florlda. 1568-18W Very
H Rev. H. P. ClavroWul, VY/ Webb Memorial Libramy,
2LeOyalist in FPlorida vl. 1, -. 175. Webb OIiMnIal Library.
14d la Paiteo Map 16A. lebb Meorlal L library.