NO. 39 ST. GEORGE ST.
The building that has been called the "Governor's House", the "Casa
Carrera", the "Don Pablo de Hita y Salaar House" is located at 37, 39, or 37-39
St. George Street, in the oity of St. Augustine, Florida, According to the Tax
Rolls of St. Johns Couny this property is designated as lot block
Of tiTi oa t Augute. Colonial St. Augustine, Inc., ofSt. Augutin
Florida, is the current owner of this property. At this time the house is unoc-
cupied and unattended.
The building at 37-39 St. George Street is a restoration, which was
designed in the character of sixteenth and seventeenth century continental Spanish
dwellings. Although its original form or style has probably been lost, the present
structure is important historically because it reveals old continental Spanish
architecture. The site is also significant historically since it has been cited
as containing the living quarters of the eighteenth century Avero family. During
the British period (1763-1784) of the eighteenth century the original house was
olaimnd to have housed the "Minorean chapel"; a temporary Catholic chapel, which
has been credited to have religiously served the Minoroan refugees from Dr.
Turbull's ill-fated New Serna Agricultural Colony.