Real Esfafe News
Classified Ad Section
Newwa ietu. Fn Aptu
iST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA, SUNDAY MORNING, JANUARY 5, 1958
To Its Ori
One Of Si
By MARGARET P1
M i h.
AIIRACTIVE FENCE NOW PROiElS SALAZAR MANSION hOiuuN
Preliminary work has already begun at the Salazar
Mansion on St. George Street, for an elaborate exterior and
interior restoration of the historic structure.
The grounds are now protected with an attractive
mansion Being Restored
ginal Appearance By
iviarking another nrst ror t. A-ugustine, Is tme elaborate
exterior and interior restoration planned by Dr. Javier Bar.
roso, one of the top architects of Spain, to. bring the Salazal
mansion back to its appearance in the 1 600's. The mansion
is located at 37-39 St. George Street.
Dr. Barroso, who has just com-
pleted restoration of the Colum-
bus palace in Ciudad, Trujillo,
Santo Domingo, has prepared
seven beautiful drawings depict-
ing the interior of the Salazar
Working through the Spanish
Embassy in Washington, ar-
rangements have been made for a
permanent loan from Spain, of
the interior furnishings shown
on Dr. Barroso's plans, so long
as the premises remain the Sala-
So detailed -are the plans and
specifications, that even the
small tile in the floors are indi-
vidually shown, and will be
shipped from Spain, as will the
doors and windows.
A library will be included, con-
taining both volumes, and also
documented records that have
been photostated, with the collec-
tion so complete that the library
will be the cultural center for
South American information on
almost any subject.
The period when the governor's
house was built was that of the
reign of Charles II, (b.1661-
d.1700) King of Spain 1665-1700.
Distinction should be: made be-
tween the Government House,
site of the present post office,
and the Governor's House on St.
George Street. The Government
House was the residence of the
governors during their terms of
office. At the end of his term,
from 1675 to 1680, Don Pablo de
Hita y Salazar decided to remain
in St. Augustine-the only Span-
ish governor to do so.
Don Pablo came to St. Augus-
tine from Vera Cruz, Mexico,
where he had been the mayor and
commandant of the fortified port,
San Juan de Ulloa. At the time
of his appointment as Governor
of Florida, Don Pablo had been
in the royal service nearly 40
years. He had served in Fland-
ers, at Antwerp, Ghent and
Chambrai and was given the
Florida post because of his
knowledge of fortifications. He
arrived in St. Augustine, May
Don Pablo's predecessor, Gov-
ernor Manuel de Cendoya began
work on Castillo de San Marcos
in 1672, preparing large quanti-
ties of lime, from oyster shells
and having stone brought over
from Anastasia Island. Cendoya
died in 1673.
SNicolas Ponce de Leon was in-
terim governor, 1673-1675, but
made little progress on the Cas-
tillo. Don Pablo, during his term
from 1675 to 1680 built the walls
of the Castillo, the site having
previously been occupied by a
wooden fort. It was expected
that the English would attack
St. Augustine most any day, and
it was up to Don Pablo to keep
the fortification in condition for
defense at all times, which he did
by building the east half first,
closing it off with a stockade,
and then building the west half.
King Charles began his reign
at the age of four and his mother,
Queen Mariana was regent. On
December 8, 1680 Don Pablo
wrote the queen that he was
building the house. (The original
letter is in the Archive General
de Indias, Seville, but a photo-
graphic copy is in the Walter B.
In the letter, Don Pablo point-
ed out that he would have to
fence as shown.
A rectangular metal marker is written in Spanl.h,
identef;es the building.-(Photos by Charles Olson, staff
vacate the Government House, an
arrival of his successor and that
there were no suitable houses for
rent. He said "The families were
increasing," and was probably re-
ferring to his own families.
Four sons were with him, Don
Geronimo and Don Juan, Army
captains; Don Pedro, who became
adjutant and Don Tomas not yet
in royal service. Church records
show that from 1678 to 1710,
twenty-seven children were born
to these four sons, many of whom
died in infancy.
Don Pablo took great interest
in the work of the Franciscans,
and two of his grandsons joined
the Franciscan order. Both of
them were noted for their knowl-
edge of Indian languages. How
long Don Pablo lived in his house
has not been determined.
That he was alive in 1695 is
shown by the baptism of a grand-
daughter "in the house of her
grandfather, the Sergeant Major
Don Pablo de Hita y Salazar;
governor and captain general for
His Majesty in these provinces."
It is certain that Don Pablo did
not live beyond 1698 as a bap-
tims of slaves, states that they
belonged to his heirs.
So the past will again become
real, in the historic old house, *
St. George Street.
4 = ^
-/ : '.^
The interior of one of the rooms in the Salazar ma-n-
sion will look as pictured, a reproduction of one of seven
paintings prepared in conjunction with an overall restora-
tion program planned by Dr. Javier Barroso, one of the top
architects of Spain.
The Salazar mansion is one of the historic landmarks
of the city, located at 37-39 St. George Street.-Photo by
Charles Olson, staff photographer.)
REAR VIEW OF STATELY OLD SALAZAR MANSION ON ST. GEORGE STREET
Not seen by passersby on St. George Street, are the landmark some three years ago, is shown as he told of some
spacious grounds at the rear of the Salazar mansion. of the plans of an elaborate exterior and interior restora-
Walter B. Fraser, who is chairman of the board of tion program, currently getting underway.-(Photo by
Colonial St. Augustine, Inc., to whom he deeded the stately Charles Olson, staff photographer.)
Treat The Family To -
Roast Prime Turkey .:.,. ........ .85c
Celery Dressing, 2 Vegetables
Chicken in a Basket. -... .... .85c
French Fries, Tossed Salad, Rolls
Fried Shrimp Platter ...........95c
Cole Slaw, French Hush Puppies
Health Fruit -aaad ............ .75c
Asst. Fruits, Cottage Cheel'e "iqini Toast
SPECIAL CHILDREN. LATES FROM 50c
Served from A. M.
King At St. George
!Colonial Dames Of America Buy Pfeiffer Property On Old Aviles Street For Use As Art Gallery
By NINA HAWKINS
Interest in historic Aviles Street grows as from time to time there
are added evidences of the desire for preservation of the quaint aspects:
of the ancient thoroughfare. The recent purchase by the Society
.of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Florida of what
has been known for some years past as "the Pfeiffer property" is
one of the realty transactions which give joy to those desirous of
seeing Aviles Street retain its character of quaintness and charm.
-The property is located just---
north of the Fatio House, which Feeling that the interests of
has been owned by the Colonial historic St. Augustine would be
Dames for a number of years, served admirably by continued
and is their Museum House. It use of the Pfeiffer property for
lies between the Library Build- artistic purposes, the Colonial
ing on the north and the Fatio Dames have leased it for an art
House on the south, so is in the gallery.
center of one of the most inter-
esting "short blocks" to be found Mariano de la Rocque's map
on any historic street in the made in 1788, soon after the in.
Sity. auguration of the Second Spanish
The property was owned for Occupation, (the English Occu.
The property was owned for o t e Spanish
many years by the late Heinrich paton was 1763-1783), shows
Pfeiffer, one of the pioneers in four lots in the short block be-
the St. Augustine art colony, and tween Artillery Lane and Cadiz
a devoted friend to the city of Streets, instead of three as at
St. Augustine and its art inter- present.
ests. After Mr. Pfeiffer's death, Lot No. 186, where the Patio
his widow, Mrs. Daisy Pfeiffer, House now stands, is listed by
decided to sell the property, and de la Rocque as having on it "a
the Colonial Dames, because of house of masonry in bad condi.
their already valuable holding on tion, which is in charge of Luis
the street took immediate steps Contreras with its corresponding
to acquire it. The Pfeiffers used land."
the building on the property for a Lot No. 187 "with a house of
home and studio. They devel- wood in bad condition" is shown
oped a charming garden, which as the property of Jose de Bur-
had for a background a beauti- gos. Lot No. 188 with a house of
ful old wall of coquina dividing tabby and wood also belonged to
it from the Library Building Jose de Burgos.
property. Lot No. 189 where the Public
Library Building stands, had a
house of tabby construction for
the first floor, and wood for the
second. It was listed in "fair
condition," and as being the
property of Bernardo Segui.
So it is evident that at some
time later the two pieces of prop-
erty in the center of the block
became one, with probably a
portion being added to the Fatio
property as that shows consid-
erable frontage on Aviles Street.,
The Fatio House is filled with
interesting antiques, and the
Colonial Dames make arrange-
ments each season to have it open
to the public one day a week.
'Announcements will be made
shortly for the 1958 spring sea-
son. There are many architec-
tural features of the house that
arouse interest among visitors.
The detached kitchen, or "the
old slave kitchen" as it is some-
times called, common to houses
of that period, is one of the
things that attract attention . .
also the patio and long gallery
DR C. McCORKLE
9 to 12 A.M. 2 to 6 P.M.
Saturday 9 to 12 Only
25 CORDOVA ST.
Evening. A.mlnintments Nrade
at the rear of the house, and the pelwhite, Chippendale, and others acquisition on Aviles Street, ad-
balcony that hangs over Aviles of like talent and fame flourished joining, the Fatio House in the
Street. The furnishings include . making things of beauty for north. They feel that the people
many beautiful things of differ- discriminating Americans. of St. Augustine, who cherish the
ent periods .. some of the items The Colonial Dames, an organi- old atmosphere of the city, will
are Spanish, and others are the nation headed by Mrs. Roland D. be pleased over the fact that this
best examples of craftsmen in Baldwin of Jacksonville as presi- particular property is now in
this country . made when Hep- dent, are happy over their new their custody.
Beginning January 9, 1958
The Hastings Exchange Bank
WILL BE CLOSED THURSDAY OF EACH WEEK WITH
THE EXCEPTIONS OF THE MONTHS OF
MARCH, APRIL, MAY AND JUNE
MEMBER FEDERAL DEPOSIT INSURANCE CORPORATION
INTERIOR OF RESTORED SALAZAR MANSION IS PLANNED