Group Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 7 - Lot 5, Greek Shrine
Title: Synopsis of Avero house shrine
ALL VOLUMES CITATION PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00090509/00013
 Material Information
Title: Synopsis of Avero house shrine
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: Block 7 - Lot 5, Greek Shrine
Physical Description: Archival
Language: English
Creator: Scardaville, Michael C.
Publication Date: 1977
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00090509
Volume ID: VID00013
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.

Full Text





SYNOPSIS OF AVERO HOUSE (Minorcan Chapel)


1. 1712-63 lot and coquina house owned by the Averos, a prominent

criollo family

2. 1735-43 and 1753-63 the house was enlarged and remodeled.

3. 1763 the Averos evacuated St. Augustine.

4. 1777-84 Patrick Tonyn, the British Governor, gave the house

to the Minorcan priest, Father Pedro Camps, who'in

November 1777 converted the ground floor into

"a private oratory for the Catholic Minorcans."

The only place of public worship in British St. Augustine prior

to the arrival of the Minorcans was the Anglican church, formerly the

La Soledad parish church. As a result, the Governor, in honoring

the freedom of religion clause in the 1763 treaty, granted the

Minorcans the use of the Avero building which was located in a

part of the town inhabited largely by Minorcans.

5. 1788 the house was listed as a masonry building with a two story section.

Its condition was reported as "bad."

6. 1804 the heirs of the Averos sold the lot as well as the walls of an

uninhabitable building.

7. 1844-15 the lot was resold with a rebuilt coquina house.

8. 1946-52 Walter Frazer acquired and remodeled the house.

9. presently owned by the National Greek Orthodox Church

10. No proof of ownership by the Salazar family despite the coat of

arms on the facade.



Michael C. Scardaville
December 1977




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs